Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/24/2014 9:27:19 PM EDT
The 10" seekins/dsg .300 combo they have listed for black friday for $399. Problem is, I have a stripped anderson lower sitting in my safe.  Is a stripped lower enough for "constructive intent"?  I would eventually purchase an ax556 lower to be engraved for the sbr, as I'm in the process of getting my trust filed, so I have NO pending forms yet.  I missed the bergara barrel sale from sportsman guide, so I've been meaning to gather some parts for a .300 sbr build.  Or is this too close for comfort when treading with the ATF?
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 5:35:12 PM EDT
[#1]
buy a sig brace kit and throw it on your stripped lower, or a pistol buffer tube. This would render it a pistol lower, and leave the upper as lawful with that lower being in your possession.
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 5:55:52 PM EDT
[#2]
I 'personally' think you would be fine. I've called the ATF myself on numerous illegal NFA items that were taken off of criminals, and they have absolutely zero interest.

Also, you're in Ohio, you need to seriously consider an LLC instead of a trust.
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 6:02:04 PM EDT
[#3]
To  be safe, just buy a pistol buffer tube with the upper.  That way you avoid any chance of constructive intent.
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 6:10:51 PM EDT
[#4]
I wouldn't worry about it but I also text and drive and back-talk my wife. Living on the edge and all

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 6:18:50 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

I 'personally' think you would be fine. I've called the ATF myself on numerous illegal NFA items that were taken off of criminals, and they have absolutely zero interest.

View Quote

Why is that?

thanks for the replies!

Link Posted: 11/23/2014 6:20:53 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
buy a sig brace kit and throw it on your stripped lower, or a pistol buffer tube. This would render it a pistol lower, and leave the upper as lawful with that lower being in your possession.
View Quote

This is what I would do to CYA and then sell the SIG brace or pistol buffer once your stamp comes in. Either way, if you're submitting your lower on a form 1, those have been coming back approved right around 4-5 weeks.

You could also just stash it at a friend's or family member's house that doesn't own any AR's till your stamp comes in. That's what I did when I bought my first SBR upper.
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 6:49:24 PM EDT
[#7]
How about this, you can get a Seekins 10" railed 300BLK and a Sig Brace
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 7:03:26 PM EDT
[#8]
Why not have both? You can't bring an SBR out of state. A pistol you can. I'd make a pistol while I wait n swap the upper whenever I wanted.
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 7:56:06 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
To  be safe, just buy a pistol buffer tube with the upper.  That way you avoid any chance of constructive intent.
View Quote

Constructive intent to build what?
Maybe the OP intended to build a pistol all along. Or maybe he was going to buy 3 more barrels and weld up a coffee table.
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 8:31:02 PM EDT
[#10]
Do you honestly think they will come looking for you? They don't even have enough time to do paper work they are so understaffed.
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 9:45:04 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

Why is that?

thanks for the replies!

View Quote

Please explain the llc for Ohio thing!!
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 11:29:46 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Do you honestly think they will come looking for you? They don't even have enough time to do paper work they are so understaffed.
View Quote

Last thing I want is my door kicked during a no knock over some stupid arbitrary bullshit.  I did a google search on buying an sbr upper without a lower, and that is where I heard about the constructive intent and some people actually getting screwed over because of it.  Now whether they got busted because they were actually doing shady stuff or not I don't know.

Link Posted: 11/23/2014 11:31:39 PM EDT
[#13]
You don't have anything illegal. You're fine. Your lower can be made into what ever you want.
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 12:05:08 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

View Quote

Last thing I want is my door kicked during a no knock over some stupid arbitrary bullshit.  I did a google search on buying an sbr upper without a lower, and that is where I heard about the constructive intent and some people actually getting screwed over because of it.  Now whether they got busted because they were actually doing shady stuff or not I don't know.

View Quote
There is no such thing as constructive intent.

If you have a stripped lower, you are fine because that lower can be legally configured as a pistol.

No need for paranoia.
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 12:54:38 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

View Quote

It isn't a SBR upper,  it is a pistol upper.  Radical sells a lot of complete pistols I don't think they sell many SBRs ,  if any.
Here is my Radical upper pistol.

As long as you don't have  a lower that was sold as a rifle sitting in your safe without it's matching 16 inch or longer barrel, you don't have a problem even if you were the one in a hundred million gun owners that the ATF has raided for no reason.
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 1:04:15 AM EDT
[#16]
Q: May a FFL or an individual legally possess the parts to manufacture an SBR or SBS as long as no firearms are actually assembled?
A FFL (Type-7 or Type-10) who pays the Special Occupational Tax (SOT) may possess parts required to assemble NFA firearms. A non-licensee or FFL who has not paid the SOT is required to register any NFA firearm via an ATF Form 1 (5320.1) prior to acquisition of the parts required to assemble such firearm.

If OP has a lower around with a stock, or the parts to make it as such they can get him for this. Is it likely? no. Impossible? I'd never say that.
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 7:48:22 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Q: May a FFL or an individual legally possess the parts to manufacture an SBR or SBS as long as no firearms are actually assembled?

A FFL (Type-7 or Type-10) who pays the Special Occupational Tax (SOT) may possess parts required to assemble NFA firearms. A non-licensee or FFL who has not paid the SOT is required to register any NFA firearm via an ATF Form 1 (5320.1) prior to acquisition of the parts required to assemble such firearm.

If OP has a lower around with a stock, or the parts to make it as such they can get him for this. Is it likely? no. Impossible? I'd never say that.
View Quote
This.  I just wanted to get some more opinions on the matter before I purchased.  In my case, the lower is completely stripped so it shouldn't be an issue.  Shouldn't being the operative word here.

Link Posted: 11/24/2014 8:22:05 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote

That's if there's no other legal configuration he could make with the parts. If he has a legal configuration that can be made, they couldn't nail him for "constructive intent"
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 9:00:27 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

View Quote

Are you involved in drug dealing or any other criminal enterprises? Why do you worry about being subjected to a no knock raid?
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 8:31:13 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

View Quote

View Quote

Are you involved in drug dealing or any other criminal enterprises? Why do you worry about being subjected to a no knock raid

sorry forgot to put in: [sarcasm][/sarcasm]

View Quote

Link Posted: 11/25/2014 1:44:48 AM EDT
[#21]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Why is that?

thanks for the replies!

In Ohio, the LLC route is a one-time fee of $125, you literally just fill out the form with whatever LLC name you want, write a check, and send it in. After that, use the LLC name to register the NFA items. With an LLC, you don't have to worry about spouses and other people in the household having "access" to NFA items, you don't have to list beneficiaries like you do on a trust. The LLC route makes owning NFA items extremely easy to do, it's less hassle than a trust IMO.
Link Posted: 11/26/2014 10:46:18 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
That's if there's no other legal configuration he could make with the parts. If he has a legal configuration that can be made, they couldn't nail him for "constructive intent"

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

There is no such thing as constructive intent!

Link Posted: 11/26/2014 11:25:51 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Why not have both? You can't bring an SBR out of state. A pistol you can. I'd make a pistol while I wait n swap the upper whenever I wanted.
View Quote

You can take an SBR out of state as long as you are going to a place that SBR's are legal. Use form 5320.20
Link Posted: 11/26/2014 11:27:19 AM EDT
[#24]
Just but the 25$ pistol tube for peace of mind.

Constructive intent ..I ain't touching that one. That's a dead horse..
Link Posted: 11/26/2014 11:51:32 AM EDT
[#25]
I have all the chemicals to make meth under my sink. Is that constructive intent?
Link Posted: 11/26/2014 1:49:24 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I have all the chemicals to make meth under my sink. Is that constructive intent?
View Quote

I also have freeze plugs and tubing in my garage.

Does that mean I'm conspiring to build a suppressor?

"Constructive Intent" is retarded and only gains traction or "legitimacy" when you guys push it.

Kinda like your AR15 is an "assault weapon" but when LEO have them (or M16's), they're "personal defensive weapons".

Quit using their BS terms and let us set the narrative.

Link Posted: 11/26/2014 6:10:54 PM EDT
[#27]
I've never heard of constructive intent until i did a quick google search on this issue when i saw the sale.  That's why i came here to ask specifically about it so sorry if anyone got their panties in a bunch over it, but i never forced anyone to post in here either

thank you to all those who posted constructive (no pun intended) advice.  
Link Posted: 11/26/2014 8:05:30 PM EDT
[#28]

I was going to order an AAC with my Damn The Man Rebates but when this came up I couldn't pass it up!

BigDozer66
Link Posted: 11/26/2014 8:12:09 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Why is that?

thanks for the replies!

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Why is that?

thanks for the replies!

Cheap and easy in OH.

I still have a trust.
Link Posted: 11/26/2014 8:13:40 PM EDT
[#30]
Constructive intent doesn't apply to guns.

Constructive possesion does.
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 1:43:07 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View Quote

Only if you already have a box of meth in your kitchen .our have been arrested for meth
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 8:48:12 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I've never heard of constructive intent until i did a quick google search on this issue when i saw the sale.  That's why i came here to ask specifically about it so sorry if anyone got their panties in a bunch over it, but i never forced anyone to post in here either

View Quote

DSG says that all orders placed through 12/1 will be honored at this price, but it may take up to 30 days.

In 30 days with efile, you could already be approved. Problem (if there was one) solved.
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 1:58:49 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Constructive intent doesn't apply to guns.

View Quote

Constructive possesion does.

+1
A. Shorty upper + stripped lower + pistol buffer tube + other ARs = :)
B. Shorty upper + stripped lower + other ARs = BAD
C. Shorty upper + stripped lower + un-assembled carbine buffer tube(s) and stock(s) = BAD

- If, given your current collection of firearms and parts, there is a way to assemble your upper and lower into an non-NFA firearm, you are not in constructive possession of an SBR. If the only way to assemble your upper and lower is to make an un-registered SBR, then you are in constructive possession of an SBR and subject to fines or penalties up to and including a trip to federal pound-me-in-the-ass prison.
Also:

Technically, you can't reconfigure a lower that was originally transferred on a 4473 OR initially assembled as a "rifle" into a pistol. However, you may reconfigure a lower that was originally transferred/built up as a pistol into a rifle.
*There is almost no chance of you running afoul of this regulation other than you loudly proclaiming your actions on social media and incriminating yourself, but the law is the law...
3rd paragraph after "Assembly of Weapons from Parts Kits"
http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:oH4usQPwew0J:https://www.atf.gov/files/regulations-rulings/rulings/atf-rulings/atf-ruling-2011-4.pdf+&cd=2&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us&client=firefox-a

Link Posted: 11/29/2014 5:27:02 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

DSG says that all orders placed through 12/1 will be honored at this price, but it may take up to 30 days.

In 30 days with efile, you could already be approved. Problem (if there was one) solved.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I've never heard of constructive intent until i did a quick Google search on this issue when i saw the sale.  That's why i came here to ask specifically about it so sorry if anyone got their panties in a bunch over it, but i never forced anyone to post in here either

I efiled mine just over a month ago and no approval yet.

BigDozer66
Link Posted: 12/1/2014 11:16:58 PM EDT
[#35]
I went and Fo'd on the 5.56 10.5"
Link Posted: 12/2/2014 1:30:30 AM EDT
[#36]
With all my Damn the Man rebates and the 20% off at AAC I went ahead and got both!

Just over 1/2 price of what the Seekins cast but I need 2 so my hunting buddy could use something!

BigDozer66
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top