Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/25/2014 4:11:46 PM EDT
I have a few rifle cans and they work very well...very pleased with them on my 10.3" and 11.5" SBR's, which are LOUD without the can...

My question is, since sound is not linear, is there a big difference in an unsuppressed 12.5" and 11.5"?

I am thinking about a LW (pencil barrel) 12.5" barreled upper that will run without a can (as my only SBR without its own can).  This would be used indoors and outdoors.  I've seen videos on youtube but there are so many variables to sound and recording it that I figure personal experience would be better.

My goal is to keep weight down without going hard core with weight reduction.  It would have a light, laser, and a sling.  Probably no optic, but if it did, it would be a T1.

It would be a Colt 6720 upper cut to 12.5" on a Colt SOCOM lower, FWIW.

Let me know your thoughts.

ETA: The goal of this set up is to be at 7lbs or thereabout with laser and light.  So I would not run with a can to keep OAL down and weight (also this upper has the pencil barrel).

ETA 2: Has anyone cut the 6720 upper to 12.5"?
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 4:23:01 PM EDT
[#1]
Use a KX3, use whichever length you want.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 4:26:42 PM EDT
[#2]
Muzzle breaks will be loud no matter what barrel length.  Use a flash hider or linear comp to redirect the blast.  My 12.5 with Vortex isn't bad at all.  With an AAC single chamber it's downright brutal.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 4:48:43 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

That's going to reduce noise?  I am concerned primarily with the unsuppressed 12.5" vs. shorter rifles unsuppressed.

ETA: It won't have a brake on it....it will be a flash hider or linear comp, but most likely a flash hider.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 4:49:15 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Muzzle breaks will be loud no matter what barrel length.  Use a flash hider or linear comp to redirect the blast.  My 12.5 with Vortex isn't bad at all.  With an AAC single chamber it's downright brutal.
View Quote

Well, I get that.  I wouldn't be using a brake.  Glad to hear that you don't feel it is too bad....I would like for this project to work but I want a good idea before I jump in (since it involves cutting the barrel).

I do want to save weight by cutting the barrel (16" to 12.5")...but the noise without a can is a concern for me.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 5:40:10 PM EDT
[#5]
With a flash hider or linear comp the 12.5 isn't really noticeably worse than a 14.5 or 16 in my opinion.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 6:03:21 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
With a flash hider or linear comp the 12.5 isn't really noticeably worse than a 14.5 or 16 in my opinion.
View Quote

Nice.

I am still not liking the idea of running without a can....I might just need to get a short TI can.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 7:06:54 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

View Quote

he wants to keep weight down, the KX3 weighs more than my suppressor
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 7:17:42 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Especially with the pencil barrel of the 6720, I don't want the heavy(ier) can hanging from the end....same for the example of the KX3.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 7:49:48 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Especially with the pencil barrel of the 6720, I don't want the heavy(ier) can hanging from the end....same for the example of the KX3.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I read the issue as reduced report from a short barrel without a suppressor.
The KX5 is smaller than the "3". I don't know if it's lighter though.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 8:28:01 PM EDT
[#10]
This is similar to what I did.  I have a 13" SBR that I will mainly shoot unsuppressed along with a couple of 10.5" that I will use a can on.  I put a 3-prong Saker mount on it though in case I ever want to throw the suppressor on it.  Unfortunately, shoulder surgery has kept me from shooting it since I got it.
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 11:42:04 PM EDT
[#11]
I've got these on a few of my guns. They work great at directing blast forward and I can take them off and screw my can right on.

http://www.weaponoutfitters.com/upper-receiver/barrel-process/muzzle-devices/sss-qd-brake-shield-yhm-mounts-5-56.html
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 12:50:05 AM EDT
[#12]
The KX3 and the like do a good job of making the gun more pleasant to the shooter by directing the noise and concussion down range.  My 7.5" pistol with a KX3 was quieter to my ear than my 16" with an A2 FH.  The concussive blast and recoil are worse, but it's a little quieter to the shooter's ear.  If you were in a HD situation and missed, it would still be like setting off a flash bang grenade in their face.
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 2:48:54 AM EDT
[#13]
The more I think about it, the more I'd just rather cut the SOCOM upper down to Commando length.....
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top