Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/29/2014 5:23:24 PM EDT
Do I need a specific NFA trust set up or will my already existing property trust (home, vehicles, investments) be adequate?

Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 12:29:32 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Do I need a specific NFA trust set up or will my already existing property trust (home, vehicles, investments) be adequate?

Thanks in advance.
View Quote

A trust is a trust.

When people say NFA trust, it usually means a trust set up for NFA interests to bypass the CLEO signoff and/or for multiple people who can have possession
You can put whatever you want in a trust
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 12:36:26 PM EDT
[#2]
The advice I've always received is put your NFA items on a separate trusts from other assets.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 12:49:15 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
The advice I've always received is put your NFA items on a separate trusts from other assets.
View Quote

This, I'm currently working on my trust, talked to a few lawyers, and  they all mentioned/said that

Link Posted: 9/29/2014 1:19:20 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
View Quote

This makes the most sense to me.  I do not have a trust, but i could see the benefits of compartmentalizing your firearms into a separate trust.  This would make things more clear on ownership and, possibly, liability.

FYI- I do not have a trust nor am I a lawyer.

JMO.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 1:22:30 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

This makes the most sense to me.  I do not have a trust, but i could see the benefits of compartmentalizing your firearms into a separate trust.  This would make things more clear on ownership and, possibly, liability.

FYI- I do not have a trust nor am I a lawyer.

JMO.
View Quote

this.

with possible legislation changes regarding NFA items in trusts I would not want to co-mingle NFA items with other assets in a single trust.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 1:51:55 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
with possible legislation changes regarding NFA items in trusts I would not want to co-mingle NFA items with other assets in a single trust.
View Quote

This is my logical explantation why for the advice of a separate NFA trust.  I have followed this advice and have a dedicated NFA Trust template that I bought from a local law office.  It was only $34.95.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 2:12:29 PM EDT
[#7]
You already have all of the legal mumbo jumbo with your current trust.  Cut and paste, change the name (to something short), and get it notarized.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 5:44:02 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You already have all of the legal mumbo jumbo with your current trust.  Cut and paste, change the name (to something short), and get it notarized.
View Quote

Agreed.

There are people that do this for every single NFA item they buy. One trust per item, just change the name and get it notarized.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 8:49:22 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 9:01:19 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

How I made my SBR trust. Didn't want to engrave my entire name revocable living trust on all my SBRs. Copy/Paste, change name to [last name] Trust.

Form 1s approved!
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 9:26:10 PM EDT
[#11]
While you could place them in your existing trust you'd be wise to create a new trust specifically for NFA items. A good NFA trust will have language specific to guns and NFA, eligibility of trustees to possess, etc.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 11:27:38 PM EDT
[#12]
Take the advice here and get a new trust for dealing with the NFA.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 2:32:13 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Agreed.

There are people that do this for every single NFA item they buy. One trust per item, just change the name and get it notarized.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Agreed.

People really do this?  Why?  So if you have ten suppressors and 4 SBR persay someone would have 14 different trusts in the filing cabinet?  

My trust I just did was 19 pages long I couldn't imagine having more than one in the safe.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 2:41:44 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
People really do this?  Why?  So if you have ten suppressors and 4 SBR persay someone would have 14 different trusts in the filing cabinet?  

My trust I just did was 19 pages long I couldn't imagine having more than one in the safe.
View Quote

Yep, some do. Even had a dealer recommend that method one time. Didn't really ask for the "why", as all of mine are in one trust. A lot of people have trusts in the 3-5 page range, although mine is 26 plus 4 more for an amendment to clarify the name.

I could think of several reasons...just none strong enough to convince me to do it.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 3:46:53 PM EDT
[#15]
My opinon (non-lawyer here):
Seperate trust. As said above, a trust is a trust, but I feel it is much easier to have the NFA seperate from the rest of my belongings. Main reason - there are people that I will leave property to, but not my NFA itmes.

As for seperate trust for each item?? only if I wanted my suppressors to go one way, and my SBRs another. OR, if I have so many NFA items because I am baller like that...then I can split them up and share them with friends and family when I pass.  

PS...I don't have that many NFA items, so everything I have is on one trust.
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 12:19:12 PM EDT
[#16]
Separate trust.
I even put my cans in one trust and the SBRs in another.  That was mainly for the engraving though, SBR trust has shorter name.
Link Posted: 10/7/2014 2:21:17 PM EDT
[#17]
My lawyer advised me to only put NFA items in my Trust. the only exception was the initial item I put in the Trust to make it legal.
Link Posted: 10/8/2014 9:50:31 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

A trust is a trust.

When people say NFA trust, it usually means a trust set up for NFA interests to bypass the CLEO signoff and/or for multiple people who can have possession
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks in advance.

A trust is a trust.

lol!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top