Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/25/2014 10:23:06 AM EDT
http://www.cmmginc.com/category_s/1997.htm

Now if I could just get my barrel back from TROS...
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 10:50:19 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:

View Quote

How long as your barrel been with TROS?

I'm getting ready to send my barrel to him as my stamp should be back any day now.
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 10:57:48 AM EDT
[#2]
They announced the preorders in the FN Herstal subforum a week ago or so.

I put in a preorder for one of their flash hiders just to have another one.
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 11:32:18 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I'm getting ready to send my barrel to him as my stamp should be back any day now.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's been just over a month. He said a few more weeks because they need to make more of the thread adapters.
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 11:57:20 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

It's been just over a month. He said a few more weeks because they need to make more of the thread adapters.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks! Hopefully they'll make a good size batch and I wont have to wait so long...
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 11:59:54 AM EDT
[#5]

Hadn't seen this-- wonder if the utility of eForms has increased demand enough for
shortened PS90 barrels...?

I had TROS shorten my factory barrel (great job, BTW).  And unfortunately, FN makes the PS-90
such that there's no really good way to take the barrel off without permanent modification.

In fact, Mark (at TROS) told me that they just use a hacksaw on the ones they have to
take down themselves.
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 12:06:59 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Hadn't seen this-- wonder if the utility of eForms has increased demand enough for
shortened PS90 barrels...?

I had TROS shorten my factory barrel (great job, BTW).  And unfortunately, FN makes the PS-90
such that there's no really good way to take the barrel off without permanent modification.

In fact, Mark (at TROS) told me that they just use a hacksaw on the ones they have to
take down themselves.
View Quote

CMMG use to make PS90 SBR barrels then something happened and they no longer made them. I'm glad to see a new source of barrels and adapters! Now if they would just hurry on that 22 conversion kit!

I used a sawsaz, was faster.... Gun is brand new, picked up on 8/4, e-filed form 1 submitted 8/5, haven't fired a shot through it yet!

Link Posted: 8/27/2014 12:17:05 PM EDT
[#7]
So the only problem I see, or maybe I just don't understand, is...

1) you need to drill out the blind pin on the shroud or cut behind it in order to remove the stock barrel.

2) because of #1, you then have a)) a barrel less than 16" and b) a somewhat ruined barrel until it is recrowned/threaded.

3) The cost for TROS to convert your barrel to the exact same thing is considerably cheaper.

4) you can't really ever get it back to stock ps90 either way.

Am I missing something here?
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 12:40:25 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

1) you need to drill out the blind pin on the shroud or cut behind it in order to remove the stock barrel.

2) because of #1, you then have a)) a barrel less than 16" and b) a somewhat ruined barrel until it is recrowned/threaded.

3) The cost for TROS to convert your barrel to the exact same thing is considerably cheaper.

View Quote

I'm with you, I couldn't figure out why you wouldn't want to send in your stock barrel to have it threaded.

But TROS has a varying ETA of when your barrel will be done, some have waited months for their barrels. So I could see some impatient people not wanting to wait and be able to throw on the barrel as soon as the form 1 is approved.

Aftermarket and OEM receivers have been available. But you would end up spending a ton more than just buying a new PS90.
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 12:48:51 PM EDT
[#9]
One advantage the original CMMG barrels had was that they used to come in a tighter rifling (1/7) for heavier home-rolled subsonic loads.

But I have to agree that the attraction of an aftermarket barrel is the instant gratification angle. A person could conceivably get their stamp in the mail and have their old barrel hack sawed off and a new one installed and then be out testing it in minutes.

I hack sawed mine and sent it in to High Desert Dog, who took months to get it back to me.

The interesting thing with this CMMG announcement for me are the return of the type 1 flash hiders. You can find threaded adapters everywhere, but flash hiders in good / new condition are rare and expensive.
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 1:52:59 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote

You can sell the old barrel and probably make most of that difference up since they'll probably be buying it to send it to TROS.
Link Posted: 8/28/2014 2:39:52 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

You can sell the old barrel and probably make most of that difference up since they'll probably be buying it to send it to TROS.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Why would someone pay "most" of my cost for a cmmg barrel to then turn around and pay TROS to convert it when they could just by the cmmg barrel for less than the cost of my barrel+TROS? If there was a way to not kill the stock barrel this whole thing would make a bit more sense, at least to me, YMMV.
Link Posted: 8/28/2014 4:00:45 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Why would someone pay "most" of my cost for a cmmg barrel to then turn around and pay TROS to convert it when they could just by the cmmg barrel for less than the cost of my barrel+TROS? If there was a way to not kill the stock barrel this whole thing would make a bit more sense, at least to me, YMMV.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Maybe they want an original FN barrel. CMMG does have that reputation for lack of concentricity. Or maybe someone shot out their original barrel... Just a thought.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top