Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/3/2014 7:08:58 PM EDT
Like the title says I am thinking hard about a short AR upper in 7.62x39 to blast cheap ammo through my SDN6.  I already have a 300blk and 556, just looking for ideas / experiences with 7.62x39.
Link Posted: 8/28/2014 11:05:57 PM EDT
[#1]
I have a 7.5 inch 7.62x39 and it has become my favorite rifle. I used an MGI lower so that I could have more options in the future without doing another form 1. I also used their modified bolt carrier and enhanced bolt/firing pin combo. I intend to get a suppressor for it in the future so I used an adjustable gas block. To date i have about 2k rounds through it all steel case, without issues. When I assembled the rifle I used the 5.56 lower to set up the upper, my intent was to get it running before modifying it to use the AK lower. I started with an ASC 10rnd mag and had no issues, then I got several more  mags, both Cproducts and ASC, they have all run flawlessly so I have not even bothered machining the upper to use the AK magwell. I probably never will. I built this to be a fun gun and blaster for cheap ammo.Outside of the carrier and bolt all the other components are lower end to say the least. The upper, handguard, barrel and adjustable gas block I bought off ebay,have no idea who made them, the flash hider I turned myself out of a piece of aluminum I had laying around the shop. When I assembled the upper, I took my time and made sure everything fit very tight and within spec. The lower was assembled using a lower kit with Magpul stock from PSA, I am using a standard carbine buffer and spring.  Using Tula ammo it will shoot 1.5 to 2 inch groups at 100 yards off the bench. So far the barrel and bolt show no abnormal wear, in fact they don't even look broken in yet. It is a lot of  fun to shoot, and it will definitely get the attention of those around you, it is loud, and has quit the muzzle flash. There are a lot of post about how the 7.62x39 does not work in ar platform. From my experience and it is only my opinion based on this rifle, that as long as you use a quality bolt and good mags it will run fine.

Link Posted: 8/29/2014 5:57:00 AM EDT
[#2]
11.5 762x39/adams arms piston/mega billet monolithic set/762sd.  

Link Posted: 8/29/2014 6:42:55 AM EDT
[#3]
i built a 7.62x39 ar pistol and it was easier to dial in than my 5.56 pistol. both are 7.5" barrels with adjustable gas blocks. i have a red x arms barrel and hybrid bcg and use cpd 30rnd mags in my 7.62 and it runs great. it has the sb15 brace and a kak .30cal flash can. idk how to pose pics here but if ya want a pic, message me your email or cell
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 7:49:33 AM EDT
[#4]
I had a 16" factory Armalite 7.62x39, and it was a great gun.  I didn't have it that long, but it ran well, and unlike others, I had no trouble with those gigantic 30-round C Products mags.  I sold the Armalite to go Blackout and have no regrets, but after SBRing the Blackout and getting a can, I've now come full circle and am considering another SBR in 7.62x39 to shoot cheaper ammo suppressed.  I'm considering the 7.62x39 as opposed to 5.56 to make it a little easier on my can--the lower chamber pressure and larger bore volume should help.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top