Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/25/2014 8:14:01 AM EDT
So I'm waiting on my stamp right now and I want to put a carbine length pistol buffer tube on it till I get the stamp. I don't want a short pistol length buffer I want a carbine the same length as the one your stock is on but just without the groove to slide a stock on. Just round all the way around.
could someone please help me find one.

like this one
Link Posted: 2/25/2014 8:18:06 AM EDT
[#1]
Might be a RRA pistol buffer tube. Also, look at PWS and KAK industries.
Link Posted: 2/25/2014 8:18:11 AM EDT
[#2]
That looks like the RRA one, I used to have it, works great.
Link Posted: 2/25/2014 8:31:23 AM EDT
[#3]
not sure what tube it is but make sure you arent just putting a pistol buffer tube on a rifle lower to make it a "pistol", it doesnt work that way, it has to be originally registered as a pistol lower.
Link Posted: 2/25/2014 8:34:07 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
not sure what tube it is but make sure you arent just putting a pistol buffer tube on a rifle lower to make it a "pistol", it doesnt work that way, it has to be originally registered as a pistol lower.
View Quote

, not sure that is correct. Almost everyone here says to slap a pistol buffer tube while you wait for your SBR stamp so you can test it out and play. I'm sure if it's going to be a permanent pistol, sure.
Link Posted: 2/25/2014 8:35:07 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote

Not true.  It just can't have been first configured as a rifle.  A stripped lower transfers as a receiver.
Link Posted: 2/25/2014 8:37:53 AM EDT
[#6]
Yep, that's the RRA one.  I had to file down the notch/key on a standard end plate to get it over the buffer tube threads, which is easy to do.  If you're going to be using something like a Magpul ASAP just don't use the key it comes with.
Link Posted: 2/25/2014 9:29:27 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote

That is incorrect.
you cant take a lower off of a rifle and do it. If you have a lower that was never connected to a rifle you can.
Where ever the info is you have on this is wrong. There is a thread on here with letters with questions and answers from batf. almost any nfa question has already been asked and a letter posted about.
Link Posted: 2/25/2014 9:42:06 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Yep, that's the RRA one.  I had to file down the notch/key on a standard end plate to get it over the buffer tube threads, which is easy to do.  If you're going to be using something like a Magpul ASAP just don't use the key it comes with.
View Quote

where did you get yours? cant find it on the rra site.
Link Posted: 2/25/2014 9:45:28 AM EDT
[#9]
I have a Spikes on both of mine.

In stock here: Joe Bob's

Looks like this installed:

Has a QD socket on the end. I have a foam sleeve over mine, but it's smooth (no grooves like the one in the OP, and no way to mount a stock).
Link Posted: 2/25/2014 11:46:44 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
That is incorrect.

you cant take a lower off of a rifle and do it. If you have a lower that was never connected to a rifle you can.

Where ever the info is you have on this is wrong. There is a thread on here with letters with questions and answers from batf. almost any nfa question has already been asked and a letter posted about.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

That is incorrect.

Ok... I have a stripped lower I bought some 7 yrs ago... It's never been assembled into a rifle as far as I know.  Can I use this as a pistol lower?

Link Posted: 2/25/2014 12:18:26 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Ok... I have a stripped lower I bought some 7 yrs ago... It's never been assembled into a rifle as far as I know.  Can I use this as a pistol lower?  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That is incorrect.

As far as you know?  Was it new or used?
If it was new, you are good to go.  If it's used, legally, you can't be sure.
Link Posted: 2/25/2014 1:01:15 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Not true.  It just can't have been first configured as a rifle.  A stripped lower transfers as a receiver.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

sorry i didnt go into enough detail, that is correct you can use a stripped lower, or a pistol lower, just dont use a lower from a rifle. AKA if you bought a completed rifle dont think you can take the buffer tube off and replace it with a pistol buffer tube and call the thing you just made a pistol.

Again im not a expert i was just giving helpful advice to someone and trying to keep them out of trouble. I have heard people say oh just slap a pistol buffer tube on it and you can buy w/e short barrel you want while you wait, and thats not 100% true and i wanted to make that know.

also be careful if it was just something you picked up from a friend or a gun show, just because its stripped doesnt mean it wasent part of a rifle at some point.
Link Posted: 2/25/2014 3:30:07 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

That is incorrect.

I bought it from an individual that had ten new, Stag Arms stripped lowers.  Thanks for the help.

Eta- was a nice guy who went by the handle subdude on here.  
Link Posted: 2/26/2014 4:37:41 AM EDT
[#14]
The legality is that you can't make anything that has been a rifle into a pistol.  It's too "dangerous" to do it that way.  If you have a lower you know hasn't been ever used/assembled as a rifle (aka "virgin") then you can slap a short barreled upper and make it a pistol, as long as you don't have a buttstock.  In fact, I wouldn't mount a buttstock to it at all as there's a gray area in the opinions/rulings in the BATFE about what exactly constitutes "making a rifle" out of your lower.  So, anywho....as long as you're SURE that lower has never been used in rifle form then you're legal to use it as a pistol as long as you don't turn it into a rifle at any point.

**Not legal advice, just what has been written in other places and what is written in letters from BATFE that can be found on this site**
Link Posted: 2/26/2014 4:44:24 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
The legality is that you can't make anything that has been a rifle into a pistol.  It's too "dangerous" to do it that way.  If you have a lower you know hasn't been ever used/assembled as a rifle (aka "virgin") then you can slap a short barreled upper and make it a pistol, as long as you don't have a buttstock.  In fact, I wouldn't mount a buttstock to it at all as there's a gray area in the opinions/rulings in the BATFE about what exactly constitutes "making a rifle" out of your lower.  So, anywho....as long as you're SURE that lower has never been used in rifle form then you're legal to use it as a pistol as long as you don't turn it into a rifle at any point.

**Not legal advice, just what has been written in other places and what is written in letters from BATFE that can be found on this site**
View Quote

Except in the case that the lower is built as a pistol first, it can then have a 16+" upper attached and stock added, becoming a rifle, then have the stock removed and the short upper put back on and be a legal pistol again.

Confounded ATF rulings/decisions/letters....

http://www.atf.gov/files/regulations-rulings/rulings/atf-rulings/atf-ruling-2011-4.pdf
Link Posted: 2/26/2014 6:01:29 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

View Quote
First post! Thanks for taking the time to help me out and welcome to the site.

Link Posted: 3/3/2014 7:35:14 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Sorry, delayed response on this one.  I got mine from a gunshow

Link Posted: 3/3/2014 8:51:14 AM EDT
[#18]
PK Firearms has the RRA pistol tube kit in stock for $50.
Top Top