Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/29/2012 6:34:55 AM EDT
I am looking into the form 1 for a SBR, and wanted to know if there is a way to fill it out so a lower can be generally registered as a SBR. Basically, can i register one lower, and have multiple uppers?

Also, anyone who has done one recently, how much time did it take to get it approved? Not really in that much of a hurry, but would like to shoot before there is snow on the ground
Link Posted: 6/29/2012 7:01:21 AM EDT
[#1]
The Form has a barrel length question and a overall length question. You would need to answer those with the shortest barreled upper installed. Then you would be able to install longer barrels. But I would store it with the barrel length listed on your approved form 1.
Link Posted: 6/29/2012 7:29:58 AM EDT
[#2]
As long as you can return it to the configuration listed on the form1 you're ok.  In other words, if you submit it as a 5.56 with a 7" barrel, you can also have any caliber of any length and use it on your SBR.  Just keep your original (or an upper of that cal and length), it doesn't have to be "stored" that way as a change to an AR is anything but permanent and can be done in seconds.  

Ie, build a 5.56 7", a 300BLk 9" and a 458 SOCOM 12". You can have it in any configuration, as long as isn't a permanent change.

This isn't legal advice, I'm not your lawyer, I'm not your lawyer.
Link Posted: 6/29/2012 7:54:20 AM EDT
[#3]

Register in whatever SBR barrel length you want.  You can have multiple uppers for it.  You do not have to hold onto the barrel, you do not have to hold onto the upper, just because you register it with a 14.5 barrel doesn't mean you can't throw a 10.5 on.......

They ask you, not require you, to notify of any permanent changes.  What is a permanent change, especially with an AR?
Link Posted: 6/29/2012 8:09:01 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Register in whatever SBR barrel length you want.  You can have multiple uppers for it.  You do not have to hold onto the barrel, you do not have to hold onto the upper, just because you register it with a 14.5 barrel doesn't mean you can't throw a 10.5 on.......

They ask you, not require you, to notify of any permanent changes.  What is a permanent change, especially with an AR?

This ^ +1

An SBR is or isn't, regardless of different lengths between the min/max.
The ATF "ASK'S" that you inform them of perm changes after the fact.

Link Posted: 6/29/2012 10:52:35 AM EDT
[#5]
Yep, don't have to have original barrel length to restore to original.
Link Posted: 6/29/2012 11:30:41 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I had a examiner tell me personally that she would not approve a future Form 4 transfer is the gun did not match the registry.  She said that I would either have to return the gun to the original configuration or send a change letter before the transfer.

Others here have sent Form 4s with new configurations and been approved.

Just Sayin!

Link Posted: 6/29/2012 11:41:14 AM EDT
[#7]
Thanks for the information. I just need to decide if i want to go through the hassle of getting a CLEO to sign, or just open a trust.
Link Posted: 6/29/2012 12:10:22 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Thanks for the information. I just need to decide if i want to go through the hassle of getting a CLEO to sign, or just open a trust.

Forget about the hassle.  Think about the privacy issue.  If you do a trust the local leo has not knowledge of your gun.  It's just a tax issue between you and the feds.

Link Posted: 6/29/2012 12:22:43 PM EDT
[#9]
good luck on getting one and shooting it before there is snow on the ground .. or hope we don't get any snow till late winter of 2013
Link Posted: 6/29/2012 4:04:56 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

If you do the trust, I suggest you name it something short.  Whatever you name it, that is what you have to engrave (plus city/state).

I named mine something simple like DCS Trust.
Link Posted: 6/29/2012 4:26:42 PM EDT
[#11]
If you don't use at least the first 12 lines of the Pledge of Allegiance, you're doing it wrong.
Link Posted: 6/29/2012 7:40:43 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I had a examiner tell me personally that she would not approve a future Form 4 transfer is the gun did not match the registry.  She said that I would either have to return the gun to the original configuration or send a change letter before the transfer.

Just Sayin!

What you were told is obscenely wrong and is not based on any law or regulation. Next time this happens, ask for his or her supervisor.
Link Posted: 6/30/2012 9:00:13 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Just Sayin!

I had an AC556, had the barrel chopped from 16" to 13", never sent a letter. When I sold it I put the new barrel and OAL on the F4 and it went through fine and the registry was updated with the new configuration.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top