Site Notices
9/2/2014 3:43:50 PM
9/2/2014 1:00:39 PM
Author
Posted: 6/4/2010 8:18:53 PM
I'm gonna be trading my Benelli M2 slug gun In APG camo, to get a long range precision rifle for Hunting, and also just to have one set up for long range, high power SHTF type of gun, because I don't have one yet to fill that category. So I have heard some good things about this particular rifle, and it seems to fit the bill pretty well. I gonna be hunting up in Northern Mn now which is rifle country. Where I have always hunted in the past is in Southern Mn which is shotgun only. I still have a Mossberg shotty if I go back to hunting in the southern half of MN.
benjio
Link To This Post
Posted: 6/4/2010 11:13:53 PM
I don't have that exact model. I've got a used (I'm the 3rd owner) 10fcp with the HS-Precision stock. I've said it before, so it's nothing new... I LOVE this gun. I had it cut down to 18" and threaded for my can. The 1:10" twist is great. Works well for a wide range of bullets (heavies are good to go), and stabilizes subs nicely also.

I would say the brake that comes on the 10FCP-K is unnecessary. If you want it, then get it. The problem I had with that model (and the same reason I veered away from the 10PC (Precision Carbine) was the accustock. It's a great design, but you're stuck with it. Visually, asthetically, and ergonomically, it's nothing special. The V-block bedding system seems like it will be very tight, but you're kinda stuck with what you buy cause nobody makes aftermarket furniture for an accustock receiver yet. They may eventually, but you'd be hoping at best... The one benefit of the accustock is that I'm guessing it's a tiny bit lighter than something like a Mac or HS-Precision.

If that's your price point, just get a 10fcp with the HS Precision $893 shipped from Bud's

since pics always rule, here's mine:

SDMF_Rebel
Link To This Post
Posted: 6/4/2010 11:28:55 PM
Or get the older model with the Choate stock for a little less. I picked mine up for $650 @ Cabela's on clearance.

benjio
Link To This Post
Posted: 6/5/2010 12:39:39 AM
The Choate model has gotten really good reviews by all who've bought one. They do state that the thickness of the "palm swell" area is a bit beefier than most others, so much so that some may be adverse to it. For over $200 less, the Choate model is a pretty good deal, that should help buy some better optics or at least the base and rings. When I was in the market, Cabela's didn't have that model anymore.

smokintonye
Link To This Post
Posted: 6/5/2010 8:08:03 AM
Thanks for the Info...and the pics, your rifles look great! Guess I'll head to the local shop, and see what models they have, or what they can order and go from there!.....More pics are always welcome
SDMF_Rebel
Link To This Post
Posted: 6/5/2010 9:57:09 AM
Originally Posted By benjio:
The Choate model has gotten really good reviews by all who've bought one. They do state that the thickness of the "palm swell" area is a bit beefier than most others, so much so that some may be adverse to it. For over $200 less, the Choate model is a pretty good deal, that should help buy some better optics or at least the base and rings. When I was in the market, Cabela's didn't have that model anymore.

Yeah, the palm swell is thick. I have big bear paws for hands so it fits me perfectly and is VERY comfortable.

More pics:

smokintonye
Link To This Post
Posted: 6/5/2010 10:20:41 AM
Very nice! Your AR looks like mine!
smokintonye
Link To This Post
Posted: 6/8/2010 2:55:58 PM
[Last Edit: 6/9/2010 7:34:00 PM by smokintonye]
I went ahead and traded my Benelli m2, and ordered the Savage 10FCP w/ HS stock from a local dealer I can't wait to get it. Now I gotta start thinking optics. I'm gonna have to start off on the low side price wise (up to 300 ) I hear the Super Sniper is pretty good at that price point. Guess it's time to research!!
bigcbass
Link To This Post
Posted: 6/8/2010 6:29:13 PM
Originally Posted By smokintonye:
I went ahead and traded my Benelli m2, and ordered the Savage 10FCP w/ HS stock from a local dealer I can't wait so get it. Now I gotta start thinking optics. I'm gonna have to start off on the low side price wise (up to 300 ) I hear the Super Sniper is pretty good at that price point. Guess it's time to research!!

Good luck! You might want to check out Vector also. They are not fixed power like the SS. SWFA has a nice crossfire on clearence for $99. The reviews are awsome and Vector is supposed to really stand behind their products. I just ordered one myself. Hope it works out!
benjio
Link To This Post
Posted: 6/9/2010 1:55:54 AM
fixed:
Originally Posted By bigcbass:

Good luck! You might want to check out Vector Vortex also. They are not fixed power like the SS. SWFA has a nice crossfire on clearence for $99. The reviews are awsome and Vector Vortex is supposed to really stand behind their products. I just ordered one myself. Hope it works out!

I think that's what he meant to say.
smokintonye
Link To This Post
Posted: 6/9/2010 8:45:41 AM
Yeah, that's what I thought!
benjio
Link To This Post
Posted: 6/9/2010 4:36:59 PM
nice:
ordered the Savage 10FCP w/ HS stock from a local dealer I can't wait so get it.
You will NOT be dissapointed. That will be a nice stick fo' sho! Like everyone before me, I'll tell you; don't skimp on the glass. Once I started shooting with a Nightforce, all my other optics make my eyes hurt. That includes a Millett TRS-1, Buckmasters, a couple old Weavers, and a few different cheapo .22 scopes. Of course they all work and get the job done, but man, once you get something nice, you'll see why people sell off rifles to consolidate into one rifle with really nice glass.

cheers, Benji
smokintonye
Link To This Post
Posted: 6/9/2010 7:36:45 PM
I would love to be able to.....but. I will never have that kind of dough by deer season. I t doesn't bother me to get something cheaper now, while at the same time work on putting money aside for a quality piece of glass. I can always sell the old scope later!
benjio
Link To This Post
Posted: 6/9/2010 8:49:20 PM

It doesn't bother me to get something cheaper now, while at the same time work on putting money aside for a quality piece of glass. I can always sell the old scope later!

exactly what I did.
smokintonye
Link To This Post
Posted: 6/9/2010 10:37:55 PM
[Last Edit: 6/9/2010 10:38:47 PM by smokintonye]

It doesn't bother me to get something cheaper now, while at the same time work on putting money aside for a quality piece of glass. I can always sell the old scope later!

exactly what I did.

Any suggestions in the 300 price range. I was leaning towards the Millett trs-1 or the Buckmaster Gold, or the SWFA Super Sniper. I think I would like variable power, and target knobs, and I think maybe a MillDot Retical. Other than that I'm pretty much a Scope Newb
benjio
Link To This Post
Posted: 6/9/2010 11:16:53 PM
I've got a TRS-1, and 2 Nikon Buckmasters. If I was doing it again: Instead of buyin those, I'd save up a bit and get a Nikon Monarch and it'd be a lifetime hunting scope for sure. Not NF or USO, but VERY good for the $$$

I can't say it enough though, the Nightforce is sooooooo nice. Definitely worth all the extra pennies. It took me a few years both to realize they were worth the money, and then to save up the money... Basically, my accuracy doubled when I went from the Millett to the NF on my 10fcp. My group sizes shrunk by half at all the ranges I've tried so far.
smokintonye
Link To This Post
Posted: 6/9/2010 11:26:43 PM
[Last Edit: 6/9/2010 11:27:49 PM by smokintonye]
I'll have to start saving my pennys for a Nightforce In the meantime maybe I'll take a look at the Monarchs.
smokintonye
Link To This Post
Posted: 6/24/2010 7:10:03 PM
Got my Savage FCP With H.S stock today!
I would put up a pic, but it's plain jane right now, no bi-pod, scope or rings.
I think I'm gonna get a paint job in the Fall, I hope.
I'm still looking at scopes and trying to decide....Tuff choices in the 300 range.
gee223
Link To This Post
Posted: 6/25/2010 10:02:02 AM
[Last Edit: 6/25/2010 10:08:07 AM by gee223]
Something nobody else mentioned. When you shoot out that barrel, the Savage is the only one out there that a barrel swap is a DIY job on. Just so you know. Savage sell the wrench too.

I still love my Millett TRS. A bonus for you would be that they bring close to new prices on the EE or fleaBay. Of coourse so do the others.
smokintonye
Link To This Post
Posted: 6/25/2010 10:34:51 AM
Good to know! Have you had any issues with your Millette?
gee223
Link To This Post
Posted: 6/25/2010 11:02:49 AM
No, but I get annoyed with the stupid 1/8" clicks. The old ones didn't have any other options.
McGap
Link To This Post
Posted: 6/25/2010 2:39:17 PM
[Last Edit: 6/25/2010 2:42:09 PM by McGap]

exactly what I did.

Any suggestions in the 300 price range. I was leaning towards the Millett trs-1 or the Buckmaster Gold, or the SWFA Super Sniper. I think I would like variable power, and target knobs, and I think maybe a MillDot Retical. Other than that I'm pretty much a Scope Newb

I've had great luck with Mueller scopes in that price range. Here's a link to the scopes and a good supplier:

Mueller Scope Options

Mueller Tac 2