Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/20/2017 8:52:53 AM EDT
I am not real attuned to all of the building semantics or even the lingo. But what I need to snow is, if I wanted to build a 300 wm ar but don't have the Nemo pockets, I would like to possibly Smith out a part. Here is where I need help.

I have been looking at Browning's bar. It is a semi auto 300 win Mag receiver. Is it possible to take the furniture off, drill or modify the receiver to Ar style. Shorten, thread and brake the barrel and the rest should fit. Is that possible on the bar receiver? If so, what issues would that give or has it been done?

What about feeding? Headspace would be solved by the bar itself. And I would also need roll and breakdown pins.

Just Don't have the money for a Falker or Nemo. Thoughts? Please tell me if this is a work in futility or a workable idea. Thanks.
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 9:08:42 AM EDT
[#1]
eta: nvm
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 9:21:46 AM EDT
[#2]
Why?  The BAR is the perfect hunting rifle. It would be cheaper to buy an AR, than to buy a Browning, then pay a gunsmith $$$$$ to modify it. By the time you did all that and scoped it, you would be in the hole for thousands and have a tough time selling it, if it gets boring.
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 10:34:24 AM EDT
[#3]
I don't see any way you could accomplish something like that for cheaper than a Nemo.

Not even sure If I follow what you are thinking.

Modify a BAR to look cosmetically like an AR, possible, but not cheap.

Something like This?
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 10:55:03 AM EDT
[#4]
I know the bar is a good hunting rifle.  I am just thinking about going into an ar platform with it. I know a few friends who have ar10 so I was just thinking about trying to do the same.

The reason for the 300 is because I am deep in reloading as well as ammo and any change from this will cost an arm and a leg. Plus I like the round.

The link is about what I am looking for if the ar version won't work...but it was about the same cost. 

In regards to modifications, I knew the receiver would be costly but I wasn't sure about the barrel work. If it is that much, maybe I am eating up bandwidth needlessly with this post. Sorry if I am. 
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 7:24:34 PM EDT
[#5]
The problem with the AR platform is there is no standard lower that will feed a Magnum length case. The Nemo is a proprietary lower receiver.

No other AR will accept the cartridge.

There are companies that off Short magnums Like the .300 WSM by Accuracy Systems

and I believe Armalite offered a short magnum.

But again, they are expensive.

Other than Nemo, I'm unaware of a lower that will accommodate a full length magnum cartridge.
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 8:06:56 PM EDT
[#6]
Buy the Falkor version of the rifle if you buy one, it's much nicer.
Link Posted: 7/23/2017 12:48:32 PM EDT
[#7]
It seems the lower specs are kept secret. Well, thank you all for the help. I wasn't sure which was better but Falker seems to be high marks. 

Right now I have a bolt action.
Link Posted: 7/23/2017 1:03:14 PM EDT
[#8]
You can try a 300 WSM but they are expensive, and fraught with problems or at least so I have read...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top