Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/9/2017 8:02:11 AM EDT
Say down the road I want to restrict the gas port on the barrel of my AR.  Could I thread a small portion of it and screw in a small short set screw, tac weld the edge in a spot or two (I TIG weld) obviously clean that up and then drill the diameter hole I'm after in the set screw, put everything back and it be fine?

Would the hole in the set screw erode faster than the barrel material? I ask as the manufacture I used, chose a somewhat large sized gas port to ensure weak ammo cycles the rifle, but say some point in the future I wanted to restrict the hole would this be the best way to go about it? Just thinking about how I'd do it and that's whatnot came up with.

Edited to fix smartphone autocorrect confusion.
Link Posted: 5/9/2017 9:08:36 AM EDT
[#1]
Is there some reason you could not use a quality adjustable gas block?
ETA -- I think autocorrect made your post confusing.  You want to insert a set screw, weld it in, then drill it out for a certain gas port size?  Either way, I would go with an adjustable gas block.
Link Posted: 5/9/2017 10:48:20 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Is there some reason you could not use a quality adjustable gas block?
ETA -- I think autocorrect made your post confusing.  You want to insert a set screw, weld it in, then drill it out for a certain gas port size?  Either way, I would go with an adjustable gas block.
View Quote
Yes that's what I want to do. The rifle uses a standard FSB so adjustable block is not desired or applicable.
Link Posted: 5/9/2017 10:49:46 AM EDT
[#3]
Then pick up an adjustable gas key or bolt carrier group.

ETA:. You are one of the relics like me that prefer our FSB still....
Link Posted: 5/9/2017 10:54:02 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Then pick up an adjustable gas key or bolt carrier group.

ETA:. You are one of the relics like me that prefer our FSB still....
View Quote
I really wanted to fix the issue of to much gas, I'm guessing those BCG are capable of bleeding off more gas than a standard BCG to reduce the delta (pressure deferential) and thus force pushing the BCG rearward?

This isn't something I currently NEED to do, but it's something I may need or want to down the road so I was giving it some thought.

ETA nothing beats a pinned FSB. Even if you want to modernize it later,  just cut the sight tower and have a pinned gas block.
Link Posted: 5/9/2017 11:09:23 AM EDT
[#5]
It is trivial to convert a front sight base into an adjustable gas block. Much easier than what you are proposing.

Example
Link Posted: 5/9/2017 3:07:24 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
It is trivial to convert a front sight base into an adjustable gas block. Much easier than what you are proposing.

Example
View Quote
Neat and functional... I might consider that an option if it turns out I need to do this.  But that is an eye sore. Thanks for posting it though i hadn't considered adding a restriction to the FSB rather than the barrel gas port. I might try something with the port in the FSB if I feel its over gassed now after you posting that.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top