Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/19/2017 7:43:35 PM EDT
I am having a hard time getting this information. I have settled on a 6.5 creedmoor as my next rifle caliber. Should be perfect for both my hunts and long range shooting I enjoy. I don't necessarily like the complete rifles available (without dropping $3K for something without a scope). I then read somewhere that a .308 Win set up can simply be swapped with a 6.5 barrel and be good to do?

Any insight is much appreciated!

P.S. Anyone purchase custom barrels from McGowen Custom before? Came across them when I started this research.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Dan
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 11:26:56 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 9:36:10 AM EDT
[#2]
you should specify which type of gun, bolt or gas gun?  

Bruce
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 11:27:45 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 11:53:33 AM EDT
[#4]
Depends on the Action.

Assuming bolt actions.

Many, if not most of the budget rifles, like the Savages, (all of them), the Ruger All- American, Ruger Precision Rifle ( which is just a dressed up All American), Remington 783, Thomson Center have barrels that are screwed in then locked in place with a nut. The barrels on these rifles are relatively easy to change with a vise and the proprietary wrench, and a headspace gauge. You simply clamp the action in a vice, break the barrel nut loose, unscrew the barrel,  screw the new barrel on ( best done with ejector removed) against the headspace gauge, lock it in place and done.

Old school Rifles, like the Remington 700, Winchester model 70, mauser, Ruger M77 all require fitting by a skilled practitioner, with access to a lathe and precision measuring tools. Metal must be cut to fit these barrels.

There are companies producing nut locking barrels for the Remington 700, but they are not common.

As to the bolt itself, I don't know for sure, you'd have to check case head dimensions, but as a rule, medium centerfires usually share a common boltface size, and you have to have a different one for magnums.

So if you want a DIY switch barrel, look at the rifle, find out if barrel companies make the barrel you want, or prepare to engage a gunsmith.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 10:18:40 PM EDT
[#5]
I was thinking I would go bolt action, but that is mostly because I have been told that they are more accurate. You wouldn't think that considering the DoD is replacing a lot of reliable bolt action designated marksman rifles with gas guns!

I also really hate my buddy right now for convincing me, I mean "informing me", that 6.5 creed was the cartridge to get over .308 Win. I usually trust Marine Scout snipers...

I won't lie, I am starting to get overwhelmed with such a custom build from scratch. Anyone know if you can build a 6.5 starting with the Tac21 chassis?

Finally, anyone have any thoughts on the Ruger Precision compete rifle in 6.5? For $1500 complete, what am I really getting? I really want to keep half my budget on my optic.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 10:48:02 PM EDT
[#6]
The Ruger has been very popular and well received. I have no experience with them, but they are well reviewed, and I have not heard any negative about them.

Seems to me that that would be an excellent choice for a beginning accuracy rifle.

Truthfully, many of the entry level Rifles from Ruger, Savage, Remington shoot better than an entry level shooter.

It sounds like you don't really know what you want, so I would get something like the Ruger precision and build my skills and knowledge, then, after learning a little about precision rifles, you might be better equipped to decide if you want to invest in a custom rifle.
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 1:11:28 AM EDT
[#7]
I bought one of the first wave of RPR's in 6.5. I own or have owned customs from GAP, SAC and several AI's. The RPR is probably 85-90% of a custom as far as performance. If you like the chassis style stock its a great way to go.

The best deal going right now for a factory 6.5 is the Tikka CTR with 24" barrel. Under $1000 and they hammer out of the box. Only downside is the Tikka mags are on the expensive side. About the worst way to jump to 6.5 now is to buy a 700 and rebarrel it. If you already own one it will cost:

$350 for a blank
$300-$450 for chamber and thread plus thread the muzzle (some include cerakote in this and some charge more)
Figure $150-$250 for truing the action

So for the cost of having a legit smith rebarrel a 700 with a quality tube and true the action you can buy a Tikka or almost an RPR.
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 9:06:21 AM EDT
[#8]
My neighbor just got a RPR in 6.5 last month and loves it.

A friend of his son who shoots competitively tried it out with him while getting it sighted in and seemed to be very impressed.

Personally I chose .308 for the cost difference of ammo, but if I was looking into a 6.5 to start with I'd go with the RPR
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 11:48:50 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 11:38:37 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The Ruger has been very popular and well received. I have no experience with them, but they are well reviewed, and I have not heard any negative about them.

Seems to me that that would be an excellent choice for a beginning accuracy rifle.

Truthfully, many of the entry level Rifles from Ruger, Savage, Remington shoot better than an entry level shooter.

It sounds like you don't really know what you want, so I would get something like the Ruger precision and build my skills and knowledge, then, after learning a little about precision rifles, you might be better equipped to decide if you want to invest in a custom rifle.
View Quote
Thank you for this great insight. I love the stock of the Ruger, but also price. Glad to hear that it can perform well. Im a glutton for punishment when it comes to my wallet. I always want the best, even though "the best" has nothing to do with the rifle, but the shooter. I'm not ashamed to say that I am the gun manufacturer marketing teams wet dream of a customer! I just love quality and precision.

As of now I am leaning toward the Ruger Precision. Has a lot of the features I want (great chassis, ability to swap barrel, stock), but I like the thought of the Tikka and then going hard on the optic.
Link Posted: 4/22/2017 12:54:23 AM EDT
[#11]
Anyone know of anywhere to buy the Ruger Precision in 6.5? Haven't found anywhere local in MD. Hard to find sellers online. Thanks.
Link Posted: 4/22/2017 8:16:12 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Anyone know of anywhere to buy the Ruger Precision in 6.5? Haven't found anywhere local in MD. Hard to find sellers online. Thanks.
View Quote
One of a few on GunBroker
Link Posted: 4/22/2017 10:42:40 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 4/22/2017 10:56:19 PM EDT
[#14]
View Quote
Reading awful reviews about GB. Truth or no truth?
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 6:18:00 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote
Gunbroker itself will not cause you any issues, just check out the feedback about the seller. I have used GB for years with no problems.
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 5:58:23 PM EDT
[#16]
I have bought and sold on Gunbroker without issue.
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 3:45:23 PM EDT
[#17]
https://www.cdnnsports.com/rugerr-precision-rifle-6-5-creedmoor-gen-2.html
Link Posted: 4/28/2017 5:06:57 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote
Just got one off GB from Kittery Trading Post. Very friendly, and super easy. Haven't received rifle yet, but should by mid next week. I'll post some pics when I get the bad boy!

Dan
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top