Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/17/2017 1:43:47 PM EDT
I' m looking to build up a rifle in 404 Jeffery. from the research i have done it seem that the most economical way to do this is would be to buy an m70 or cz550 in 375 h&H and have it re-bored to 404.

any body have a recommendation for smiths that would be good for a project like this? leaning towards  using the m-70 as the donor.

I think all it would take is a re-bore minor open up of the bolt face and maybe some feed ramp widening.

thanks
Link Posted: 3/17/2017 2:15:01 PM EDT
[#1]
Reboring I would go to Dan Peterson as Jim Dubell has passed. He can do the action work too. Rebarrelling could be a lot of guys. My pick would be Wayne Jacobsen at American Hunting Rifles because he's relatively fast and most importantly he follows a schedule exactly. You'll get it back when he said you would.

Also you'll need an ultra mag magazine box.

I'd love to have an Echols 404 though.
Link Posted: 3/17/2017 2:37:42 PM EDT
[#2]
I have contacted Wayne about a re-barrel... just get expensive with the barrel band, express sights ect.... with a re-bore i think i can get my cost down by 1/2 at least. but if i cant find any one a re-barrel with Wayne it is.
Link Posted: 3/17/2017 2:40:17 PM EDT
[#3]
just figured out Dan = cutrifle I tired to call them but there message ( voice mail) box is full.
Link Posted: 3/17/2017 2:41:54 PM EDT
[#4]
I'm sure Wayne would do it without the extras. He's always been receptive to my projects.
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 2:15:05 PM EDT
[#5]
Might give This Guy a look. I have no personal experience with him, but a few years back I was considering boring a burned out .308 to .338 Federal I did a lot of research and he was the guy I had picked to do it. Lot of good feedback, good prices.

Ended up rebarreling to .308.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top