Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/5/2016 2:24:19 AM EDT
Not sure the term is correct but what I am looking for is a set of step calibrated pins that I can use for determining what the diameter of a pre-existing hole is. Find the pin gauge that fits, then measure it for record.
Any help would be greatly appreciated
Link Posted: 12/5/2016 2:46:31 AM EDT
[#1]
MSC or Enco.
Link Posted: 12/5/2016 3:10:51 AM EDT
[#2]
this is probably what you're looking for
https://www.mcmaster.com/#pin-gauge-sets/=15byx07
Link Posted: 12/5/2016 3:57:36 AM EDT
[#3]
Thank you! Exactly what I was looking for. Ordering tomorrow.
Link Posted: 12/5/2016 11:20:05 AM EDT
[#4]
I usually use Vermont Gage, for gages.
Link Posted: 12/5/2016 11:27:17 AM EDT
[#5]
They sell "plus" and "minus" sets of pin gauges, depending on whether you want to know if the hole is oversize or undersize. For most gunsmithing purposes it won't matter which set you use.

I got a cheap set off eBay and they worked fine.
Link Posted: 12/5/2016 8:35:32 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I usually use Vermont Gage, for gages.
View Quote
Or Deltronic.
Link Posted: 12/8/2016 3:04:36 PM EDT
[#7]
Not exactly what you wanted, but in my FAL building days I made my own little kit...........................

Link Posted: 12/9/2016 11:48:04 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 12/11/2016 6:32:52 PM EDT
[#9]
And when you do not have pins for a range a set of split adjustables allows you to measure hole sizes using micrometers and calipers.
Link Posted: 12/11/2016 10:31:28 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Nice, that's a neat kit.  Did you turn the pins or buy individual pins?
View Quote

Thanks for all the info folks. I ended up ordering exactly what I was looking for from McMaster-Carr, as I have an account with them and they had just what I wanted. Made a set of gauges that tell me in about 3 seconds what my gas port sizes are and whether or not they need to be opened up or not. Have seen several barrels with undersized ports and related undergassing and needed a quick measurement tool.
Link Posted: 12/15/2016 1:35:59 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Nice, that's a neat kit.  Did you turn the pins or buy individual pins?
View Quote

Individual pins. Purchased all I needed in the "normal" range required for the specific job (FAL head spacing). Had a local sign company make the sign board which I attached to some plastic cutting boards and drilled the openings. Then put some disectant in the lid to keep any rusting at bay between uses.
Link Posted: 12/16/2016 10:52:10 PM EDT
[#12]
Check out the Shars gage pin sets on eBay. I have been wanting to get a set myself.
Link Posted: 12/29/2016 4:17:18 PM EDT
[#13]
Google "Gage Shop"
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top