Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/26/2016 9:05:28 AM EDT
Is C360 brass srong enough for a rolling block receier?  Looking to chamber in .357mag.  Everything I can find makes it look like it will work just fine, but I'm double checking anyway.  

TIA
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 10:49:01 AM EDT
[#1]
Why not just use pre-hard 4140 steel? It's probably cheaper than brass and way stronger. It can be easily machined with carbide tooling (HSS will work but if it work hardens, tool is bust)
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 10:50:30 AM EDT
[#2]
I think Uberti makes them in .357 with brass receivers. I'm guessing that 360 probably has properties on par with the steel that some of the originals were made of. I think you'll be just fine.

I have a No. 1 rolling block action about 90% modeled right now. I've kicked around the idea of importing it into a FEM program at work and running it. Just for fun -if they were going to break we would have known it over a 100 years ago I guess.

One of these days I'm going to build one in .45-70. Right now it's just a stack of drawings and a block of steel.
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 11:33:19 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Why not just use pre-hard 4140 steel? It's probably cheaper than brass and way stronger. It can be easily machined with carbide tooling (HSS will work but if it work hardens, tool is bust)
View Quote

I may do both.  So far, I'm not finding 4140 in sizes big enough.  I haven't scoured to the ends of the internet, but my usual sources don't have it that big.
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 11:36:02 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I think Uberti makes them in .357 with brass receivers. I'm guessing that 360 probably has properties on par with the steel that some of the originals were made of. I think you'll be just fine.

I have a No. 1 rolling block action about 90% modeled right now. I've kicked around the idea of importing it into a FEM program at work and running it. Just for fun -if they were going to break we would have known it over a 100 years ago I guess.

One of these days I'm going to build one in .45-70. Right now it's just a stack of drawings and a block of steel.
View Quote

I'd love to see those plans!  I have a couple of #4's to use as a guide, but they aren't quite robust enough for larger calibers.
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 11:46:04 AM EDT
[#5]
I started with the plans uploaded at Weaponeer: Rolling block plans

Then started building solid models of the parts and eventually turned it into a pistol frame.

As for the 4140: Midwest Metal Warehouse
The decarb free HT stuff is enough oversized that you would be fine with ordering 1-1/4 thick I think. IIRC the receiver is 1.23" wide.

Link Posted: 7/28/2016 4:17:22 PM EDT
[#6]
You got me thinking about this thing again...I went and found my big block of steel:

I kept going back and forth between trying to bore and thread it for the barrel in the lathe, or do it in the mill and tap it. I'm still not sure but I think I want that operation out of the way before I go and put a bunch of work into milling out the rest of it. Milling out the interior of it should be lots of fun, and I'm not even sure yet how I'll go about getting all the corners in there squared up.

Here is where I stopped with the model:

It's been changed quite a bit from the No 1 plans, but the breach block and relative layout of the barrel, breach block and hammer is the same.
Link Posted: 7/29/2016 10:03:32 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 8/1/2016 3:34:12 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
The problem is not just about the mechanical properties of a material, it's about the dimensions of the parts.  Sometimes very small thickness increases can make up for a material's lower strength, sometimes not.

Also, it's not just about strength, but stiffness; the two are often intermixed by amateur engineers.  I can design and size an extremely strong noodle, or a fat stiff beam as weak as a cracker.

I'm not against the idea of a brass rolling block receiver, just the notion of making material substitutions based on "strength" of a material, without understanding nuances of the material, such as the effect of hardening for strength in the case of brass alloys.

View Quote

Sometimes I wonder if I've ever worked with you before. I'm going to send you an IM. Im willing to bet that if we haven't rubbed shoulders in the past, we at least know people that have.

Since we are on the subject of material strength and such I have a question. There are quite a few firearm designs out there that just will not show good using normal stress analysis methods. Obviously things like the square corner in the rolling block design gives FEM's trouble, but beyond that there are plenty of guns that have been around for a while that should be seeing yield stress during use, but don't have any issues. I read something once that attributed part of this to strain rate. There really isn't much out there on the subject though. Curious if anyone out there actually does this for a living could shed some light?
Link Posted: 8/2/2016 5:36:03 AM EDT
[#9]
I wouldn't use it for a receiver.  It's one of the weaker ones out there.   C464,  or C770 would be better.  I guess it depends on what you'll be shooting, and the design also.
Link Posted: 10/29/2016 8:46:31 PM EDT
[#10]
I haven't given up in this one yet.  I havent spent any time in the shop thisbsummer, bu as Ohio crap weather sets in, I'll be in the shop a little more.

FWIW, Ohio deer hunting doesn't allow conventional rifles.  They just started allowing "Pistol Caliber Carbines".  .357 mag is plenty for a 180# whitetail and 38spl wad cutters are cheap plinking rounds.  Besides that, I just have a thing for RRB and falling block style rifles.  My old worn Stevens Favorite gets fondled every time the safe door opens.
Link Posted: 11/4/2016 4:53:04 AM EDT
[#11]
Now this has me thinking... I have a 45 barrel blank. I may need to look into .450 bushmaster, as that's legal in southern MI.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top