Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/12/2016 8:24:54 PM EDT
I've always loved workin with my hands, on cars, my house, etc. I have a nice set of tools, but they aren't gunsmithing tools. I found out pretty fast that there IS a difference.

I've gathered some specific tools, mainly upper & lower AR vice blocks, punches, files, stones, picks, etc. But up until now, the large majority of the guns I've tinkered with were Glocks & ARs.......not many special tools needed, per se.

Im getting into wheel guns now and after watching a bunch of vids, it seems like a good investment will now be a set of GUNSMITHING screwdrivers. What are some other tools I should be looking at, that every home gunsmith needs? Any brands or types to stay away from? Whos the "Snap-On" of gunsmith tools? The "Craftsman"?

ETA:
Is there any difference between using sharpie marker and dykem?
Link Posted: 6/12/2016 11:43:39 PM EDT
[#1]
Brownells has the best gunsmith tools.  Buy the best you can afford.

As for gun-smithing screwdriver bits, Brownells has "Magna-tip" bits ground for specific firearm screws.

The Snap-on Stubby Soft-grip Ratcheting screwdriver handle and interchangeable shanks are the best, I have 2 of them!

Link Posted: 6/19/2016 11:50:29 PM EDT
[#2]
With screwdrivers for guns,I learned my lessons on revolvers and A5 Brownings,  you want  hollow ground screwdrivers.

As far as "who is the snapon" in this world, I consider anything made in the USA, the main standard.
Link Posted: 6/20/2016 12:14:07 AM EDT
[#3]
only available in a few sizes for but hex screws these RC ground tip drivers are the best out there bar none.

https://www.amazon.com/MIP-Hex-Driver-Set-Standard/dp/B00D7DK2BE/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1466395929&sr=8-5&keywords=hex+driver+rc
Link Posted: 6/20/2016 11:22:46 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
With screwdrivers for guns,I learned my lessons on revolvers and A5 Brownings,  you want  hollow ground screwdrivers.

As far as "who is the snapon" in this world, I consider anything made in the USA, the main standard.
View Quote

I found a Wheeler 89 piece set on clearance at academy, for $37 ($69 @ Cabela's!). I have an extra Snap-On or Matco ratcheting driver handle I'll use with it i think.

Main draw was hollow ground bits and the special bit for the S&W rebound spring.
Link Posted: 7/1/2016 11:37:35 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I found a Wheeler 89 piece set on clearance at academy, for $37 ($69 @ Cabela's!). I have an extra Snap-On or Matco ratcheting driver handle I'll use with it i think.

Main draw was hollow ground bits and the special bit for the S&W rebound spring.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've had that same set for several years, and it has been a lifesaver on tons of obsolete guns. The punches in it kinda suck, but it's really the bits that you buy this set for, anyway.
Link Posted: 7/1/2016 2:55:54 PM EDT
[#6]
Yea i only purchased it for the bits, i have a set of punches. Cant ever have too many tools!
Link Posted: 7/23/2016 2:05:22 AM EDT
[#7]
Pillar file comes in handy. Barret file too.

For wheel guns....

I just picked up a range rod,  yoke alignment rod,  yoke reamer,  yoke face / hammer boss reamer,  trigger boss reamer,  and ceramic stones.

I skipped the rebound tool.

I was using polishing compound and a dremel to smooth up my India stone stoned surfaces but the guys over at another forum suggest I try Polishing with the ceramics vs the buffing wheel so I'm going to keep the 50 dollar ceramics and give them a shot.

Wheel guns are fun. I enjoy them more than any glock,  xd,  etc.

Link Posted: 10/26/2016 12:17:16 AM EDT
[#8]
What about books? I know the Jerry Kuhnhausen books on 1911's are kind of the golden standard, and ive heard good things about the brownells kinks volumes. Are there any other "must have" books for the gunsmithing bench?
Link Posted: 10/27/2016 12:36:06 PM EDT
[#9]
What about a decent won't break the bank torque wrench?
Link Posted: 10/27/2016 5:26:38 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
What about a decent won't break the bank torque wrench?
View Quote

Get a decent 1/4 in drive torque wrench ('click type', around $50 or so), a 1/4 drive  deep well 1/4 in socket (a magnet one to hold bits is handy) and a short extension (1.5 to 2 inch).

Inch- ounces of torque on the wrench.

Use the same correctly ground screwdriver bits.

It is worth having a few spare bits so you can grind them down to fit an oddball screw.

Works fine.

Torque screwdrivers (unless you spend a LOT) do not hold calibration well.

We stopped using the screwdrivers on aircraft equipment when we could not get them to hold calibration for more than 10-15 screws.

A moderate price wrench would go at least a month.
Link Posted: 11/1/2016 11:45:19 PM EDT
[#11]
Calipers? I know Starrett is the shop standard, but how are the amazon chinese $30 sets? $200 is a bit steep.........
Link Posted: 11/2/2016 3:49:04 AM EDT
[#12]
I have been using cheap chinese ones for years and they have not failed me. I don't know what you are buying with expensive brands like Starett but I guess they are nicer?
Link Posted: 11/2/2016 10:01:54 PM EDT
[#13]
Mitutoyo dials, 0-6", can be had new for $120.  They just work.  After 10 years of being used and dropped and moved and stuff the dial has been adjusted once about .001.
Link Posted: 11/3/2016 1:40:38 PM EDT
[#14]
I heave a set of cheapo Franklin Arsenal calipers, and they hold true to a nicer set of mechanical calipers I have been using.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top