Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/8/2016 9:15:46 PM EDT
I recently took a .300 blackout rifle in trade with the intention of selling the barrel and making it a .556. It has a douglas heavy barrel with a BATS match barrel extension. Here's my issue, apparently the gunsmith that built this rifle milled out a larger channel for the BATS barrel extension index pin which is apparently larger than milspec. What can I do to fit a milspec .556 barrel in this upper or am I stuck with it as is? Sorry if this is a noob question but I'm no expert, thanks for any help.
Link Posted: 5/8/2016 9:53:44 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I recently took a .300 blackout rifle in trade with the intention of selling the barrel and making it a .556. It has a douglas heavy barrel with a BATS match barrel extension. Here's my issue, apparently the gunsmith that built this rifle milled out a larger channel for the BATS barrel extension index pin which is apparently larger than milspec. What can I do to fit a milspec .556 barrel in this upper or am I stuck with it as is? Sorry if this is a noob question but I'm no expert, thanks for any help.
View Quote

For the amount of trouble and the price of uppers, I would probably leave it as is and sell/trade the upper.

Its certainly doable to create a 5.56 barrel with an oversize index pin to fit the upper, but hardly cost effective.
Link Posted: 5/8/2016 10:00:04 PM EDT
[#2]
Stripped uppers can be had for about $40.  No point in keeping it.
Link Posted: 5/8/2016 10:14:55 PM EDT
[#3]
it's a billet matched upper and lower from Sun Devil in Az., I really want to find a way to remedy this an save the upper
Link Posted: 5/8/2016 10:25:45 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
it's a billet matched upper and lower from Sun Devil in Az., I really want to find a way to remedy this an save the upper
View Quote

Still not worth it.  You could use shims around the pin, but it's probably an oversized extension so it's unlikely that a standard extension will fit tightly in the upper.  You could have a 5.56 barrel made wth a BAT extension.  Or you could sell the upper with the barrel and get a better upper made from 7075 instead of 6061.
Link Posted: 5/8/2016 10:49:02 PM EDT
[#5]
what would be good to use as a shim? Since you mentioned shim I thought about taking a very small stainless square nut and filing the front off to fit behind the pin
Link Posted: 5/8/2016 10:52:38 PM EDT
[#6]
coke can works, or stainless shim stock.  Just cut to fit.
Link Posted: 5/8/2016 10:54:15 PM EDT
[#7]
good idea I'm going to try it when I get time tomorrow evening, thanks man
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top