Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/9/2016 10:31:18 PM EDT

I just bought a shotgun on GB that has a well worn rattle can finish.  it has a matte finish and a synthetic stock underneath that is showing on 70% of the gun. what can I use to strip off the paint that won't damage the stock or matte finish?

ideas?
Link Posted: 4/10/2016 7:49:44 PM EDT
[#1]
First off, do you have the shotgun in your possession yet, or are you going off pictures you had seen of the shotgun on GB? Your post wasn't clear on that one...

There is no easy answer to your question. Most solvents will attack the synthetic stock once you are down to the plastic. Rattle can finishes, in my experience, typically yield to lacquer thinner pretty easy. But, it is hell on plastic. IF you are lucky, and that is a big IF, the paint will come off with normal everyday mineral spirits & a stiff toothbrush, mineral spirits go easy on most plastics. That, and lots of patience.

Personally, I'd write off the stock & just clean off the metal. Replacement stocks are typically cheap & pretty easy to come by.
Link Posted: 4/10/2016 8:42:25 PM EDT
[#2]
Much depends on what kind of paint is on it.

Check with a good paint store.
There are a few plastic-safe paint removers that may work.

If the guns base metal finish is bluing or parkerizing lacquer thinner or a metal-safe paint remover will work.
If the base finish is one of the paint type finishes, things get "iffy".

As above, a lot of paints can be removed by soaking in cheap paint thinner, helped along with scrubbing with a solvent-proof tooth brush like an M16 rifle toothbrush.
Link Posted: 4/11/2016 12:20:44 AM EDT
[#3]
thanks for the replies.

I am only going off of pics right now.
I am a clinical chemist and we have all kinds of solvents at the lab. I was also curious about using some low heat to loosen up the paint.

I was curious if there was a tried and true method used by Pro's.

what about hitting it with a bead blaster?
Link Posted: 4/11/2016 12:46:53 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
thanks for the replies.

I am a clinical chemist and we have all kinds of solvents at the lab. I was also curious about using some low heat to loosen up the paint.

View Quote

It'll do some damage to the finish below the paint, depending on what finish that is and what media is used.  Are you going to refinish at some point?
Link Posted: 4/11/2016 8:18:50 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

It'll do some damage to the finish below the paint, depending on what finish that is and what media is used.  Are you going to refinish at some point?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
thanks for the replies.

Cerekote of something like that.
Link Posted: 4/12/2016 12:31:31 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

thanks for the replies.

Then whoever you're using to Cerakote will end up blasting the spray paint off anyway, unless you are doing it yourself, minus abrasive blasting. I have used Citri Strip on polymer, but it might not be safe for certain plastic products. Old paint tends to take longer to strip off.

Best way I've found for metal parts is a vat of acetone and let is soak for about an hour (or less). Paint just peels off with ease.

Link Posted: 4/12/2016 5:41:08 PM EDT
[#7]
Try soaking in transmission fluid for a while, the detergents in it is amazing
Link Posted: 4/12/2016 11:03:32 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Then whoever you're using to Cerakote will end up blasting the spray paint off anyway, unless you are doing it yourself, minus abrasive blasting. I have used Citri Strip on polymer, but it might not be safe for certain plastic products. Old paint tends to take longer to strip off.  

Best way I've found for metal parts is a vat of acetone and let is soak for about an hour (or less). Paint just peels off with ease.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
thanks for the replies.

This guy knows what he is talking about

Most rattle can finishes will wipe right off with acetone on a rag. Very little chance of affecting the factory finish or stock, I've never had an issue

Link Posted: 4/13/2016 2:49:25 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Most rattle can finishes will wipe right off with acetone on a rag. Very little chance of affecting the factory finish or stock, I've never had an issue

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
thanks for the replies.

I've already pulled a gallon of Acetone off the supply shelf for when the shotgun gets here. I was hoping an easy solvent would take care of it.

thanks for all the replies.
Link Posted: 4/13/2016 9:15:26 PM EDT
[#10]
Are you going to do the Cerakote yourself?  What part of the state are you in?
Link Posted: 4/13/2016 11:43:57 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

no..
i'll take it somewhere. I'm in Tulsa, but travel all over.
Link Posted: 4/14/2016 12:20:34 PM EDT
[#12]
Gotcha, it's not hard to do but does require a little skill and some equipment.  I don't do as much as I used to, but still do some projects from time to time.
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 7:15:55 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

no..
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

no..

If you already have a decent compressor you only need a couple hundred more to start cerakoating.

Most places charge $200 per gun. I've now completed 4 guns and my investment has already paid for itself many times over.

$30 toaster over for receivers and small parts and a 5th burner for $20 and another $30 for an 8" air duct tube and some wrap insulation.

Link Posted: 5/2/2016 11:27:30 AM EDT
[#14]
here what i have used on my Savage synthetic stocks and actions. spray it on and wait, then hose off. almost never need a second application and it won't harm the synthetic stocks.(doesn't like fiberglass according to instructions).

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Klean-Strip-Premium-Paint-Stripper/17208799

Bruce
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 5:35:43 PM EDT
[#15]
I used Hoppes #9 to clean up a shotgun that was spray painted by the thief that stole it from my buddy. It didn't take much effort.
Link Posted: 5/12/2016 6:29:26 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

If you already have a decent compressor you only need a couple hundred more to start cerakoating.

Most places charge $200 per gun. I've now completed 4 guns and my investment has already paid for itself many times over.

$30 toaster over for receivers and small parts and a 5th burner for $20 and another $30 for an 8" air duct tube and some wrap insulation.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

no..

I have a spare kitchen stove/oven in the shop and I have a small compressor.

I have Alumihyded several guns before but have not tinkered with Cerekote. I was thinking about just spraying this one with Alumihyde too.

thanks for the ideas guys.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top