Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/6/2016 11:41:15 PM EDT
I just received a drop-on barrel that I custom ordered for my Savage 110, obviously my first time doing this.  I took off the old barrel, and when I put the barrel nut on the new barrel, it seemed to go on somewhat hard.  It went on by hand, but just a little hard.  When I went to add the recoil lug, it wouldn't go on.  I tried gently threading on the action...no go.

I measured the thread diameter of the new barrel, and it was 1.064 or so.  I measured the old barrel...1.055 or so.  

At this point, I was thinking that I ordered the large shank rather than the small shank.  Nope, my order stated small shank.

At this point, I was thinking that they mistakenly made the large shank for me.  Nope...this is the confusing part.  The vendor's website states 1 1/6" for small shank, and 1 1/8" for large shank.  I have not contacted the vendor to ask them, so I would rather leave their name out until they have a chance to make things right.

Here is my question:  I thought that "small shank" was 1.055" and "large shank" was 1.65 (1 1/16").  Can somebody help me, please?
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 8:04:30 AM EDT
[#1]
small shank is 1.055 dia and large shank is 1.120 dia. the un-named barrel maker messed up! send it back!

Bruce
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 8:38:44 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
small shank is 1.055 dia and large shank is 1.120 dia. the un-named barrel maker messed up! send it back!

Bruce
View Quote

I was pretty sure of that, too, but I wanted to poll the audience before I stated that.

After I posted last night, I found this link.
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 9:37:00 AM EDT
[#3]
Let's add a little more confusion to the topic.  Midway sells a Shilen small shank barrel that has a nominal thread diameter of 1.062"

Link Posted: 2/7/2016 10:02:21 AM EDT
[#4]
Is it a BHW barrel?

I recently helped a buddy install one.  His action and barrel were both large shank and we have to relieve the recoil lug a little bit to get it to go over the threads,
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 3:51:40 PM EDT
[#5]
will the barrel screw into the receiver? are you using factory recoil lug or aftermarket?

Bruce
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 4:23:38 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
will the barrel screw into the receiver? are you using factory recoil lug or aftermarket?

Bruce
View Quote

The barrel will not screw into the receiver more than 1/2 turn.

This rifle had a replacement barrel on it when I bought it, so I can't speak to the recoil lug.
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 10:32:28 AM EDT
[#7]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top