Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/6/2016 11:11:56 PM EDT
So i am new to the forums and and am hoping some knowledgeable people can give me their opinions on what gunsmith school would be a good fit for me.

I greatly appreciate an opinions on the matter.

Thanks

Austin
Link Posted: 2/6/2016 11:54:45 PM EDT
[#1]
Gunsmithing is a relatively unregulated profession, governed by reputations, rather than degrees or (simply) resumes.  Training courses are all well and good, and all of the listed gunsmithing degree programs are worthy; but completing them alone will not guarantee you a job with top firms like a law degree from Harvard or Stanford would; or a computer science/engineering degree from a top research university.

You either have to work with/for a top gunsmith and build up a reputation in their shop, or open your own shop and do mundane stuff and innovate on your own until you make a name for yourself.
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 2:44:49 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 2/8/2016 7:46:22 AM EDT
[#3]
At your age I think you have way above average skills and experience compared to others thinking of going into gunsmithing. Just understand it it a blue collar career until and if you can build a reputation. If it is something you really enjoy and you can survive on blue collar wages then I say go for it. I am about to retire from the military and I am considering this route. I was a machinist for ten years before 9/11 then I went back in. If my wife deploys I will go full time at Trinidad State Junior college in Colorado, if she doesn't I will do the NRA summer program there or Murray State in Oklahoma and just tinker in my spare time after what ever job I get after that. I won't need to work but if I want to maintain my current standard of living I will have to do something. I am 49 so a little late in life but it is something I enjoy and already do some gun tinkering for friends and family. Even if you don't make it as a gunsmith you will have a really solid base in machining which can pay fairly well for non button pushing types.
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 10:33:26 PM EDT
[#4]
You've got a very unique base of skills for someone your age and I can see why you'd want to venture down this path, I started down it at 18 actually.  Here's my advice.  Go get some skills in a field that you can fall back on should gunsmithing not be enough to pay your bills.  Maybe look into machinst programs and get a degree/certification in CNC programming.  Alternatively you could look into Engineering if you're good with math and the field interests you.  
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 11:12:33 PM EDT
[#5]
Thank you all for the responses so far.

I should further clarify my plan. I am also interested in firearm design. So if everything works the way i want first build a name for myself as a gunsmith then later on also get into the design.

The local gunsmith that i know has agreed to let me work with him after i have some further training.

I do have a backup plan i have my IT degree and in the future i plan on finishing my mechanical engineering degree.

It also sounds like a lot of you all are saying the schooling isn't to important. Maybe just try to take some of the summer courses like Ultimate Bolt Action Rifle Accuracy: James Messer?

I'm hoping to hear from Dfariswheel he sounds pretty knowledgeable.

Link Posted: 2/10/2016 2:26:32 AM EDT
[#6]
I took eight En-R-A summer classes at Lassen.  I like Bob Dunlap (he was the top instructor at Lassen before starting AGI), but I wanted a hands-on training program.

I then took to the two year program at TSJC and thought it was a better school than Lassen or CST.   Find a school that meets your needs.  Look at the instructors, their credentials (what associations are they members of and what training do they have).  Is their program going to meet YOUR needs?

MInd you, CST is more expensive (methinks than TSJC and you get charged for extra bench time).  However, one of the most successful graduates from there now has his own factory with about twenty CNC machines that he doesn't run 24/7 to pay for themselves.   He got what he needed out of it and made something of himself.  You can attend the "best" school and get nowhere (depending on your motivation, drive and skills afterwards) and you can go to a lesser known school and become a shining star (depending on your motivation, drive and skill).

I'm still learning too and the learning process doesn't stop.  
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 10:13:14 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 2/15/2016 11:59:55 PM EDT
[#8]
if you are looking into a future in design, I would highly suggest going through with the education and going to one of the schools.  while it's not impossible, it is substantially more difficult to design and test a new product without a larger company backing you unless you happen to be independently wealthy, and most of those larger companies are either going to want either ample experience or education before letting you through the door.
Link Posted: 2/24/2016 1:52:32 PM EDT
[#9]
I learn less from mistakes than I used to after working with a real gunsmith for 4 years.
Link Posted: 3/28/2016 5:22:01 PM EDT
[#10]
Thank you all for the good information. I am thinking AGI at this point but maybe pa gunsmith idk lol.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 10:39:01 PM EDT
[#11]
I'm a 2nd semester student at the Pennsylvania Gunsmith School in Pittsburgh. It's a 16 month apprenticeship course that is designed to give working usable knowledge in firearm refinishing, repair, stock making, tool making, and firearm customization. It's a very well known school by small and large manufacturers and customization shops, and there are always reps coming in. A couple weeks ago we had a couple guys from Caesar Guerini come in and hire one of the graduates, and during the great american outdoor show, myself and another student were offered on the spot interviews with Shaw (the barrel makers). This week have Dean from Brownells doing a 2 day AR-15 armorers certification course, and they also do a course in alternative finishes like nitre bluing and proper gun-cote finishing.

The staff are very knowledgeable and the course of instruction is designed so that even the most non knowledgeable person can walk in off the street and learn the proper terms and techniques.

Edit: I am just now realizing this is a really old thread....
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 10:04:53 AM EDT
[#12]
Another great school that has an excellent gunsmith course is Pine Technical College in Pine City, Minnesota.  Check them out.  http://www.pine.edu/programs/temp2/gunsmithing-and-firearms-technology/
Link Posted: 6/26/2016 10:23:11 AM EDT
[#13]
I recently retired from the Army and gunsmithing is something that I've had an interest in going to school for, for a while. I'd be interested in hearing the pros/cons of the different schools, specifically CST and Pennsylvania gunsmith school. I'm leaning towards the Pennsylvania school based on location, but I'm open to suggestions. I am not keen on returning to cali, however.

Maybe a stickied thread where the graduates of the schools could post, would keep this from being a recurring topic.
Link Posted: 6/26/2016 11:28:55 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 6/27/2016 1:00:38 PM EDT
[#15]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

The moderator hates tacked threads.  Did you read those that are tacked?

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Quoted:
I recently retired from the Army and gunsmithing is something that I've had an interest in going to school for, for a while. I'd be interested in hearing the pros/cons of the different schools, specifically CST and Pennsylvania gunsmith school. I'm leaning towards the Pennsylvania school based on location, but I'm open to suggestions. I am not keen on returning to cali, however.

Maybe a stickied thread where the graduates of the schools could post, would keep this from being a recurring topic.

The moderator hates tacked threads.  Did you read those that are tacked?

I did. Great threads for gunsmithingwork and tools, but not much for people looking for information on the schools.
Link Posted: 6/28/2016 8:26:19 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 6/29/2016 9:59:29 PM EDT
[#17]
Take the time to do research on the school and instructors.
Do you want to be taught by instructors that have at least a few years of verifiable experience in the business or students that recently graduated with minimal real world experience instructing you?

I will tell you right now that CST was one of the highest rated Smithing schools in the nation. Was.
A few years ago they went through a "reorganization" and lost their head instructor. The school has not recovered.
I did a bit of work with a recent graduate. He's a good dude and clearly picked up a few skills but I was flabbergasted when he told me they taught nothing of Parkerizing and he had no real knowledge of the Kalishnakov platform.
Are you kidding me? One of the most widely utilized finishing techniques and the most prolific firearm in the world and he was taught nothing in regards to them?
Minimal education on FFL operations and management and in speaking with a couple of students they knew absolutely nothing on the nuances of NFA and Gunsmithing.
Seems like a waste of time and money to me.
Link Posted: 7/1/2016 11:35:24 AM EDT
[#18]
I have a buddy in my unit who is working on the SDI Associates in Firearms Technology degree program using his Army Tuition Assistance. I've read through some of his course material, and it seems pretty comprehensive for a distance learning course. My concern is the lack of face-to-face instructor feedback and the fact that you pretty much have to either own a well-stocked shop or know someone who does to complete the practical exercises.

I've considered taking it myself, because my current circumstances will not allow me to do a resident course, and there aren't any in the DFW area, anyway.

One thing I would like to explore is hand engraving, but I have never seen any useful information resources on that subject, and wouldn't know where to turn for advice or training. It seems to be a carefully guarded secret knowledge, known only to a handful of spectral illuminati that mere mortals have heard of but never seen.
Link Posted: 7/1/2016 9:43:28 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 7/7/2016 7:44:39 AM EDT
[#20]
TSJC doesn't teach about the AK either.

That said, if Austin wants design as part of his studies, he should first learn German and learn it well. Then take two years here in America at a brick 'n mortar school so he has the technical background on fyre-arms behind him before going to the Austrian school in Ferlach for five years.  Austria's Felach school has two progrms. The four year is for smithing and the five year is for smithing and design.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top