Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/21/2016 2:08:31 PM EDT
Want a stainless steel one this time.

I want to order a frame from Caspian, but they have changed somethings and they now have (under the selections for feed ramp) you can get either a neautral or steel feed ramp.

I assume the neautral is neutral (although it is misspelled on all selections), which I assume they are refering to the angle of the cut.

But getting a steel feedramp on a steel frame is an extra $59 and change.

Anyone know what the heck this means?

I sent them an e-mail a day ago, but no response from sales.
Link Posted: 1/21/2016 2:19:29 PM EDT
[#1]
Awww geez...I want to do the same thing.

I abandoned my Caspian-based 1911 a few years ago and had my 30 year old series 70 Colt modernized instead.

I would be interested in following your project.
Link Posted: 1/21/2016 4:20:01 PM EDT
[#2]
I have no idea what those terms mean.

"Steel feed ramp" sounds to me like a steel insert for an aluminum frame.
I'm sure you are not thinking of building a 10mm with an aluminum frame.

Link Posted: 1/21/2016 10:40:15 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 1/23/2016 3:42:05 PM EDT
[#4]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Not seeing the problem here, since your going to order the frame for either a Nowlin or Clark ramped barrel.
Hence standard frame feed ramps for say 45 are fine, since your dealing with a low pressure round, but in 10/9mm major, ramped barrel all the way since your dealing with higher working pressures, than they just feed a hell of lot more reliable as well (plus you don't have to dick with the barrel/feed ramps to get them tuned correctly).
http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff35/kemays/ramped-barrels-3.jpg
View Quote
Nope, don't want a ramped barrel, that's the point.

I built a 10mm 1911 from Caspian a few years back, but it was carbon steel that I blued.  No problem, works like it should (although I have learned that commercial 10mm is loaded weenie as hell!).

Now I want to do SS one, but Caspian has changed their entire web sight (they didn't even have me in their customer base anymore).

IF I was looking at an aluminum frame, then I get it. But I am not, I am looking at a SS frame.

Still have no heard back from sales.

I suspect it is just that their web sight uses the same menu regardless of which frame you pick (although that is stupid as hell).

I will shoot them another e-mail Monday.

Link Posted: 1/23/2016 9:20:53 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 1/24/2016 12:08:27 PM EDT
[#6]
OP, can you satisfy my curiosity?

Why do you not want a fully supported chamber for your 10mm build?

Link Posted: 1/26/2016 2:11:01 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

OP, can you satisfy my curiosity?

Why do you not want a fully supported chamber for your 10mm build?

View Quote
Not so much that I "don't want it" I just don't see any reason to want it.

Link Posted: 1/26/2016 2:14:48 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Easy then, your going to just order a standard SS frame, then will need to throat the barrel and blend the ramp to

View Quote
The question is not how to do the build (I have build dozens of 1911s and several 10 mm ones), the question is why does Caspian now list an option for a "steel ramp"--for $59.95 extra-- for a stainless steel 1911 frame?

I shot them another e-mail over the weekend asking for clarification of why that is there (and to make sure that "neautural" is a typo for neutral--although the typo is in all of their selections.

Still haven't heard back from them.

Up-date.

They finally got back to me.  I guess they have the same options available no matter what frame you choose.  As I thought, the steel ramp option is for the aluminum frame.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top