Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/24/2015 11:14:31 PM EDT
I noticed my 1911 has a shelf on the breech face similar to this (not my gun, I can post pics of mine tomorrow):

I bought it used over 5 years ago so I don't really have a lot of faith that I can get the manufacturer (para ordnance) to fix it. I have had some feeding issues in the past that seem to be corrected now, however I can't help but fear this may have played some part. Also I reload and this damages the brass.

Should I attempt to correct this myself or take it to a gunsmith?
Link Posted: 11/26/2015 1:20:19 AM EDT
[#1]
That is a normal machining issue. It should not affect the guns function.
Link Posted: 11/26/2015 2:12:21 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Does this affect brass reloadability?  It does not look like an optimal situation for brass appearance or accuracy.

Should this shelf be removed?
Link Posted: 11/26/2015 10:02:07 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
View Quote

I agree. Shoot it and see what happens. Many 1911 slides will have that visible shelf. Maybe in an extreme case head space / firing pin protrusion might be an issue – but I have never heard of such a case.

I would think it will be really difficult to get into / cut the area and maintain the breach face width and the square corner of the cut if you try to clean up the spot.
Link Posted: 11/26/2015 11:00:04 AM EDT
[#4]
I have actually been shooting it for years. I ran into some feeding issues but those issues seem to have been caused by severely worn out springs (recoil spring, mainspring, magazine springs), an improper barrel link length installed by the previous owner, and possible extractor issues. My main reason for wanting to correct this is concern for reliability as I want to carry this gun but after fixing the above issues I have run 150 rounds of various ammo flawlessly. My other concern is the damage to brass (see below). However I have some pieces of brass that have like 8 or 9 or these marks all the way around the case head and I haven't noticed any issues. So maybe this is not such a big deal?

Here is what mine looks like:

Here is what it does to my brass:

I appreciate the responses and happy thanksgiving!
Link Posted: 11/26/2015 12:29:18 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 11/26/2015 12:32:55 PM EDT
[#6]
My only suggestion is to take it to a gunsmith and have them file it flat. It doesn't look to be more than 1/32 of an inch, but being on the breach face it'd require a bit more caution.
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 1:07:08 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

My only suggestion is to take it to a gunsmith and have them file it flat. It doesn't look to be more than 1/32 of an inch, but being on the breach face it'd require a bit more caution.
View Quote

The problem with filing would be getting a useful stroke with the file.  Scraping, however, just might be doable and, when done right, is incredibly accurate.  The scraper holder would have to be uniquely shaped to make the job efficient and the blade will have to be very small, obviously.

Link Posted: 12/1/2015 1:29:59 PM EDT
[#8]
What about making a custom scraper with a grinder and a lathe tool bit bar?
Link Posted: 12/1/2015 6:22:13 PM EDT
[#9]
I'm going to take it in to a gunsmith tomorrow to have a look at it. Most projects I can handle myself but with this being on the breech face I would hate to cause damage to a critical area.
Link Posted: 12/1/2015 9:12:14 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

I'm going to take it in to a gunsmith tomorrow to have a look at it. Most projects I can handle myself but with this being on the breech face I would hate to cause damage to a critical area.
View Quote
Wise choice.

Link Posted: 12/2/2015 9:01:43 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 12/8/2015 8:12:44 PM EDT
[#12]
Gunsmith told me just shoot it. If there's a feeding issue then bring it back. He said don't worry about the brass, just keep loading them and shooting them unless there's an issue. Some of my brass has 8 or 9 of these marks. So I think i will take his advice and let this ride.

He also said he sees this on even high end 1911s all the time and it's usually not an issue (like the first couple replies said).
Link Posted: 12/20/2015 8:42:57 AM EDT
[#13]
It's a Maching flaw. I have come across it a few times. Strip the slide of ejector, firing pin, series 80 plunger and spring, etc. Put the slide facing muzzle up in a padded vice. Then take a small jewlers file and carefully file that down till it's even with the rest of the breach face.
Next take some #320 and then #400 grit wet/dry sandpaper and remove any file marks across the whole breach face.
Not alot. You want to file the "Step" only till it's even. Then sand just enough to even it up.
Flush the whole slide including the firing pin and extracor channel with Gunscrubber or Brakleen.
Reassmble and relube.
Link Posted: 12/20/2015 8:42:06 PM EDT
[#14]
It is far enough up and over to be affecting headspace thus the marks on the case heads.

It is a small area that is bearing all the case head loading and marking the brass.

Try and measure the actual height.

That the brass is being marked may be enough to get SA to fix it and then deal with headspace if it is changed enough (as in new barrel).
Link Posted: 12/21/2015 10:50:15 AM EDT
[#15]
This breech shelf is found on most any 1911.
I have a Norinco 1911 and a Nighthawk that does not have the shelf.

VonBark
Top Top