Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/17/2015 9:01:27 PM EDT
I shipped my stripped  action (Zastava m-70 lefthanded), shilling .308 barrel blank, gentry 3 pos safety, and money order for quoted price on asembly. On February 1st.  Time frame was given as a month tops.  Here it is the middle of july, contact with the smithy has been sporadic at best. In the process of installing the safety they apparently damaged it beyond repair.  Which has been the hang up since april.  Everything except the safety is allegedly finished.  Ok it is an odd rifle, I can see that, it's been 2 months since that happen though. Spoke with him 3 weeks ago, after trying every day for a week to get a hold of them.  He then  stated it should be done by the end of last week.  No call..... have tried calling since Wednesday, left message, called at different times I'm really considering driving up to the shop my next day off..... short of that I don't know what to do. Rant over, this shop came recommended from another reputable smith local to me.  Yes I know I can continue to wait,  but At this point I could have shipped it direct to gentry after they did the barrel work
Link Posted: 7/18/2015 8:18:39 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 7/18/2015 6:52:11 PM EDT
[#2]
What shop? Also, Where in GA are you? There are a few shops / smiths around me that do custom bolt gun work and also take on other gunsmithing work.  Only one of those I would trust with my things, that's Accurate Ordnance in Winder.  

I've actually had to give a friend a carbine buffer spring because the AR he bought from another builder had a rifle length spring in it.  (Same rifle) had to re time and rockset his AAC muzzle device too after letting him use my SDN6 on his rifle.
Link Posted: 7/19/2015 2:40:22 AM EDT
[#3]
Carolina precision in Aiken SC is the shop that has my rifle. They were recommended to me by Joe Collier of Collier Rifles in Millen Ga. Was going to have Joe do the work but he doesn't work on Mauser actions.
Link Posted: 7/20/2015 11:18:45 PM EDT
[#4]
Tried calling 3 times today left messages.  
No answer or call back. Really thinking about driving up tomorrow......
Link Posted: 7/20/2015 11:25:04 PM EDT
[#5]
Amazing... I'd be like you I guess. Only thing is, do you drive up take your gun and then have to find another smith and wait on them too?
Link Posted: 8/5/2015 5:15:10 PM EDT
[#6]
finally made contact with them, still not done was supposed to be done and in the mail yesterday........ no call tried 5 times today to get them on the phone.............

Apparently in their ham fisted attempt to fit said safety they ground back either the cocking piece or sear so they had to weld on the cocking piece............... wtf

6 months and counting..........
Link Posted: 8/16/2015 1:52:34 AM EDT
[#7]
Stuff like this pisses me off and makes me not trust any gunsmith. What makes this more complicated is there aren't a lot of Mauser smiths out there. I know this first hand as I am looking for a smith to do some work on my Mauser as we speak. I have heard some pretty good stuff about Mark Skaggs out in here Oregon, Grants Pass to be exact.
Link Posted: 8/16/2015 8:38:19 AM EDT
[#8]
bad craftsmenship and really poor customer service..........take your beating, get your property and find a quality gunsmith.
Link Posted: 8/20/2015 9:05:23 AM EDT
[#9]
Drive up, get your stuff and bring a price list of everything that needs to be replaced. No reason you should be out the cost of the safety if they ground it off. I would also explain to them if there are any repairs that need to be done, you will be sending them the bill for that as well. If they have a problem, explain the next call will be to the better business bureau. I would also tell the local smith who reccomended this guy all about your problems so he doesnt make the same mistake twice and put someone else in the same situation.

Sounds like he had no clue how to work on mauser actions and has done some damage to your rifle. The stalling could be buying time while he tries to fix it... Go get your rifle before more damage is done!
Link Posted: 8/20/2015 1:13:47 PM EDT
[#10]
Went and picked up the rifle Monday, The piece he damaged was the cocking piece.  he had taken it to a welder to have material added back on.  So it is the only part i do not have back.   I shipped the rifle off to gentry Tuesday,  called and explained to them that the cocking piece i need to have made/ have one modified for a left handed action,  The barrel was fitted and looked good, action was trued.  The barrel how ever was to big for my stock,  I could have scrapped the barrel channel out but i chose to ship it to McGowen and have it turned to a custom profile close to a light palma.  Also shipped out Tuesday,  They should arrive tomorrow.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top