Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/9/2015 7:15:44 PM EDT
I had an Enfield rifle converted to .45 and without telling me the gunsmith took it upon himself to thread the barrel .578x28 as opposed to the thread pitch I asked for.  The muzzle brake for my suppressor does not come in this pitch, which is why I didnt ask for it. Would a competent machinist be able to take the suppressor adapter I have in 5/8x24 and thread a sleeve (in both .578 (inner) and 5/8 (outer)) to go inbetween the correct muzzle break and the barrel?

Im not sure I am articlating this clear enough to make sense, Ill try and draw a picture when I get to a desktop.

Im trying to deal with the original gunsmith but I am not sending it back to him, I would rather use someone that I know can do the work correctly.
Link Posted: 5/9/2015 7:59:40 PM EDT
[#1]
Thread minor is like .586 on a 5/8-24, so I'd say there's not enough meat left in there.

You could go to something non-standard on the barrel's threads to get it small enough to get some room in there as the machining could just make matching threads for the adapter.

Or you could go with a slight extension.
Link Posted: 5/10/2015 9:18:17 AM EDT
[#2]
You've basically got two options IMO (this is assuming you don't have enough barrel length to just cut off the existing threads and start over), the simplest being to purchase or commission a step down type adapter (even though you're not actually stepping down in size, as mentioned you wouldn't have enough material to do a bushing type adapter) to convert your threads to the pattern you need. The other option will involve having more machine work done on your barrel, but would be the most "elegant" fix. You have the threads turned down to remove them (minor dia is around .546 ish iirc) then make a press fit bushing made to bring the barrel back to original barrel OD. It then can be TIG welded in place, cleaned up and re-threaded to your specified pattern.
Link Posted: 5/10/2015 12:20:52 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You've basically got two options IMO (this is assuming you don't have enough barrel length to just cut off the existing threads and start over), the simplest being to purchase or commission a step down type adapter (even though you're not actually stepping down in size, as mentioned you wouldn't have enough material to do a bushing type adapter) to convert your threads to the pattern you need. The other option will involve having more machine work done on your barrel, but would be the most "elegant" fix. You have the threads turned down to remove them (minor dia is around .546 ish iirc) then make a press fit bushing made to bring the barrel back to original barrel OD. It then can be TIG welded in place, cleaned up and re-threaded to your specified pattern.
View Quote

This would be the best bet, I do this frequently on AK's, stepping up from 14 x 1 LH to 5/8 x 24. I will turn the original threads down, fab a snug press fit bushing and silver solder it in place. Indicate the bore and turn/thread as normal.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top