Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/11/2015 5:49:40 PM EDT
I have looked high and low for a VZ-61 stock adapter to complete my SBR project and have reached a dead-end.  

Czechpoint USA has them listed but they out of stock and, while they have them on order, there is no ETA for them.  Waffen Werks, who made the previous adapter plates, is apparently out of business.  There have been various other people who were going to make the adapter but none have been able to make it happen.

I am going to attempt to have the plates made for myself and would like people's recommendation for the type of steel to use for it.  The machine shop says they can make it out of anything.  Please refer to the pictures below to get an idea of the stresses being put on this adapter in making your recommendation.  If you have a recommendation for the type of steel to use, please post it and the reason you think it would be the best one to use.

I am not aware of any patent on the design.

The two pictures below are from an ad for the plates posted in the EE by member prebans.  This is to give you an idea of what the original adapter looked like.

This side is the portion the stock slides into:

This side is up against the back of the receiver:

The following 3 pictures are from this thread and were posted by member chemcmndr.

The adapter plate is attached to the rear of the VZ-61 via screws.  Rear view:

Rear side view:

Side view:

The pictures below are from Waffen Werks:

Stock folded:

Stock open:

Stock removed from adapter plate.  The original full auto version had the adapter portion milled into the receiver itself rather than use a separate plate.

This is a picture of the rear of the receiver as it was milled in the original machine-pistol.  

UPDATE 04/24/2015

I found this thread dated a week ago:

http://www.theakforum.net/forums/66-czechoslovakian/180157-vz-61-stock-adapter-help.html

CZpoint will have them in a month or so I am told
View Quote

Yeah, when I email they said they would have everything back in 2 to 5 months.
View Quote

That thread references this thread.

This is rather bizarre.  Why would Czechpoint USA state to me they don't know when they're getting it back in stock and another person there stated they haven't carried them in "years"?  

Anyway, I'm going forward with my plans.  I'll keep checking Czechpoint USA to see if the adapter plate comes back in stock.  I would be tickled if it really was back within a month.  

Please please please, if you are planning on SBR'ing a VZ-61, buy a stock from Czechpoint USA.  I checked to see how many they had in stock and if their inventory counter is working, then they only have 11 in stock.  Who knows, maybe they are getting a bunch more in along with their adapter plates.

Link Posted: 4/13/2015 5:47:11 AM EDT
[#1]
If you want overkill, go with S7.  Otherwise plain old case hardened 4140 should work great.
Link Posted: 4/13/2015 2:18:01 PM EDT
[#2]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

If you want overkill, go with S7.  Otherwise plain old case hardened 4140 should work great.
View Quote

I'd save some money, time, and tool life and go with the 4140. Any moly-steel would be adequate.

S7 would be awesome though.
Link Posted: 4/13/2015 2:26:24 PM EDT
[#3]
Tag for later!!

I see a Vz.61 in my future
Link Posted: 4/13/2015 4:29:23 PM EDT
[#4]
4140 will be perfectly sufficient.  I would want that part to be about 35 RC hardness given the thin web of the dovetail, but I don't believe it would be necessary to heat treat either.  Just my preference. 4140 will also cold blue rather well (as far as cold bluing goes) if you wanted to do that.
Link Posted: 4/13/2015 6:52:16 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
4140 will be perfectly sufficient.  I would want that part to be about 35 RC hardness given the thin web of the dovetail, but I don't believe it would be necessary to heat treat either.  Just my preference. 4140 will also cold blue rather well (as far as cold bluing goes) if you wanted to do that.
View Quote

That's why I suggested case hardening. It'll be softer in the middle and nice and wear resistant on the outside.
Link Posted: 4/13/2015 7:31:27 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 4/13/2015 9:58:44 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Plate look easy enough to make, and even making a dove tail cutter for the needed angle as well.

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j226/Dano523/DSC01642.jpg
View Quote

Yes, easy for a good machinist.  The problem is no one is making them, or is planning on making them.  It's very much a niche piece of
metal with a very narrow use that requires filing a Form 1 to use it.  That narrows down the market which is likely why no one wants to bother
with it.  But I bought the pistols with the intention of SBR'ing them so I don't have a choice but to have the adapters made.

ETA:  Thanks guys about the 4140.  I also have a thread in General Discussion and that seems to be the favorite choice.
Link Posted: 4/13/2015 10:57:32 PM EDT
[#8]
For what it's worth, I took my Waffen Werkes bracket and I can tell two things: 1. it's ferromagnetic, and 2. it was painted as the paint was chipped away where the wire stock meets the bracket.
Link Posted: 4/14/2015 12:06:06 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Plate look easy enough to make, and even making a dove tail cutter for the needed angle as well.

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j226/Dano523/DSC01642.jpg

View Quote
THAT...IS...AWESOME!!!!

Link Posted: 4/14/2015 12:19:15 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
For what it's worth, I took my Waffen Werkes bracket and I can tell two things: 1. it's ferromagnetic, and 2. it was painted as the paint was chipped away where the wire stock meets the bracket.
View Quote

It would be interesting to know what steel allow they used.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 4/14/2015 9:16:41 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 4/14/2015 5:12:26 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 4/14/2015 9:17:31 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
You received the correct answers in your General Discussion thread.

View Quote

Thank you, AeroE.  I know this is one of your areas of expertise.

Link Posted: 4/14/2015 9:21:14 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Cheapest that they could find, and why it may have been painted, instead of parkerized instead.

But you are asking this question in the gun smiting forum, and the best answer will be 416 if you want SS (easy to machine), or 4140 if you need to blue or parkerize the part.

Bluntly, get the form 4 in hand to show that you have the needed paperwork in order, and any one of use can make the part for you in our spare time (looks like 10 mins of work to machine the part on even a manual mill, and just need a dimension specs of what to hold to fit the receiver/butt stock).
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It would be interesting to know what steel allow they used.

Cheapest that they could find, and why it may have been painted, instead of parkerized instead.

But you are asking this question in the gun smiting forum, and the best answer will be 416 if you want SS (easy to machine), or 4140 if you need to blue or parkerize the part.

Bluntly, get the form 4 in hand to show that you have the needed paperwork in order, and any one of use can make the part for you in our spare time (looks like 10 mins of work to machine the part on even a manual mill, and just need a dimension specs of what to hold to fit the receiver/butt stock).

Cool.  I'll keep you in mind if my guy falls through.  I eFiled the Form 1's about a week ago.  They have been taking less than a month.  Hopefully that trend continues.

Link Posted: 4/20/2015 8:39:26 PM EDT
[#15]
Please make an extra for me! I've had an approved form 1 and engraved receiver for the longest time, but finding the bracket is like searching for the holy grail.

I have the "newer" version of the VZ61 with the drilled and tapped receiver that has holes in a different spot, but even if the holes on your bracket didn't line up I would still buy one and just have it welded in place.
Link Posted: 4/21/2015 7:07:57 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Please make an extra for me! I've had an approved form 1 and engraved receiver for the longest time, but finding the bracket is like searching for the holy grail.

I have the "newer" version of the VZ61 with the drilled and tapped receiver that has holes in a different spot, but even if the holes on your bracket didn't line up I would still buy one and just have it welded in place.
View Quote

I gave all the information to the machine shop.  I don't know where my project stands in line, but this is not a project I'm dropping.  I have filed 2 eForm 1's pending so
there is no other option for me but to get these made.

Once I get approval from the site, I would like to make these available.  I know some people have receivers that are already drilled.  In fact, I have one VZ-61 that's already SBR's but the stock was attached directly by drilling through the part that normally goes into the adapter and screwed into the receiver.  I will have that one re-done so I will have the adapter drilled for where the holes are already located in the receiver.  I could make both pre-drilled and un-drilled adapters available.  

Again, the above is all pending site approval and getting dealer status or whatever is required of AR15.com.
Link Posted: 4/21/2015 8:20:19 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

I gave all the information to the machine shop.  I don't know where my project stands in line, but this is not a project I'm dropping.  I have filed 2 eForm 1's pending so

Once I get approval from the site, I would like to make these available.  I know some people have receivers that are already drilled.  In fact, I have one VZ-61 that's already SBR's but the stock was attached directly by drilling through the part that normally goes into the adapter and screwed into the receiver.  I will have that one re-done so I will have the adapter drilled for where the holes are already located in the receiver.  I could make both pre-drilled and un-drilled adapters available.  

Again, the above is all pending site approval and getting dealer status or whatever is required of AR15.com.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Awesome. Please keep us posted. If you need money up front to get the project rolling with the machine shop I'm in as well.
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 7:43:54 PM EDT
[#18]

UPDATE 04/24/2015

I found this thread dated a week ago:

http://www.theakforum.net/forums/66-czechoslovakian/180157-vz-61-stock-adapter-help.html

CZpoint will have them in a month or so I am told
View Quote

Yeah, when I email they said they would have everything back in 2 to 5 months.
View Quote

That thread references this thread.

This is rather bizarre.  Why would Czechpoint USA state to me they don't know when they're getting it back in stock and another person there stated they haven't carried them in "years"?  

Anyway, I'm going forward with my plans.  I'll keep checking Czechpoint USA to see if the adapter plate comes back in stock.  I would be tickled if it really was back within a month.  

Please please please, if you are planning on SBR'ing a VZ-61, buy a stock from Czechpoint USA.  I checked to see how many they had in stock and if their inventory counter is working, then they only have 11 in stock.  Who knows, maybe they are getting a bunch more in along with their adapter plates.

Link Posted: 5/8/2015 3:17:01 PM EDT
[#19]
JUST GOT THIS EMAIL FROM CZECHPOINT

CzechPoint has just received a shipment of .380 AUTO vz. 61 Scorpions.  .380 AUTO Scorpions will begin shipping this coming Monday.  Order while supplies last!
7.65mm Browning and 9mm Makarov Scorpions will be available towards the end of June. Folding stock adapter plates will be available in the month of June, too!  We will send an email when these products are available to ship.  
To access the Scorpion page, please visit our website by clicking on the photo below.  
Link Posted: 5/8/2015 4:12:07 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
JUST GOT THIS EMAIL FROM CZECHPOINT

CzechPoint has just received a shipment of .380 AUTO vz. 61 Scorpions.  .380 AUTO Scorpions will begin shipping this coming Monday.  Order while supplies last!
7.65mm Browning and 9mm Makarov Scorpions will be available towards the end of June. Folding stock adapter plates will be available in the month of June, too!  We will send an email when these products are available to ship.  
To access the Scorpion page, please visit our website by clicking on the photo below.  
View Quote

Awesome!

I knew it, Murphy's Law.  I couldn't be happier, though.  My project is officially on hold for now.  

I'll cross-post this in my other threads on the topic.
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 11:18:11 PM EDT
[#21]
Recon Ordnance sells the adapters.  Apparently he's been selling them for a long time.  He doesn't make them himself and he doesn't know
what steel they are made from, but from what he describes they are built well.  I will post pictures up in the near future.  Both my VZ-61 SBR
eForm 1's were approved last week (about 90 days) so I'll be sending my pistolero in to a gunsmith I know to have the stock installed.  I will update
the thread when that happens.  Czechpoint-USA doesn't have the adapters in stock yet.

ETA:  I have ZERO affiliation with Recon Ordnance.

Link Posted: 8/9/2015 12:10:20 AM EDT
[#22]

Czechpoint-USA also has the stock adapters now.

I presume that the adapters are manufactured by different people but I have no way of knowing for sure.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top