Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/27/2015 8:18:22 AM EDT
Noob question, but i think this is where i post. I have an LWRC M6IC. I messed up when adding a rail section and now 2 holes are stripped. Im pretty sure the size they were was 8/32. My question is if i want to rethread them (i think its also called tapping the hole) do i "tap" them with a 8/32 tap or do i have to go one size higher? Sorry if i got the terminology wrong. Thanks for any input i may get.
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 1:58:39 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Noob question, but i think this is where i post. I have an LWRC M6IC. I messed up when adding a rail section and now 2 holes are stripped. Im pretty sure the size they were was 8/32. My question is if i want to rethread them (i think its also called tapping the hole) do i "tap" them with a 8/32 tap or do i have to go one size higher? Sorry if i got the terminology wrong. Thanks for any input i may get.
View Quote

A steel thread insert (Helicoil is a big brand) will allow the same thread size to be used.
The hole is drilled slightly larger (often barely clears existing threads) then a special tap is used (marked as an 'STI' tap) and then the special shaped stainless steel insert screwed in.
You can get 'kits' with a few inserts, insert tool,  and the tap (good if you have all common drill bit sizes).
Slightly more expensive kits have the drill bit and often a selection of lengths for inserts.

You might check the threads.
Few gun type screws are 'standard' machine threads.
Most are sized to exactly what is required based on steel hardness and required strength.
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 2:11:52 PM EDT
[#2]
Allright, looking into Helicoil now, was afraid i would have to take it to a gunsmith. Thanks for your response
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 11:40:11 PM EDT
[#3]
Call LWRC and see what they say. They might warranty it. Can't hurt to call, worst thing they could say is "no". The best way to repair is to do threaded inserts. I have a master set, but most people will not spend $250 each to get the 2 sets I have. If you have no luck with LWRC and your local GS isn't up for it, contact me and I will get it done for you.
Link Posted: 2/28/2015 7:55:35 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 2/28/2015 8:50:14 PM EDT
[#5]
Sure thing ill keep you in mind, i have heard LWRC's cust service is outstanding. Will call monday.
Link Posted: 2/28/2015 8:53:44 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Can you measure the approximate thickness of the handguard?  Hook a piece of clothes hanger inside the hole, mark it flush with the surface, then measure the length with a rule or caliper.

Here's a brochure so you can read up on Heli Coils.
http://www.helicoil.in/pdf/HeliCoil%20Catalogue.pdf

If your hand guard is less than 5/32 inch thick, then a helicoil repair will be pretty half ass and probably won't work.  If you aren't in love with the current location of the holes, someone could drill and tap new holes close by the originals.  Not great, but better than throwing the handguard away.

View Quote

Will try this once i get home. Throwing the handguard away is not an option, hell, removing it looks like a PITA. Worst comes to worst, i will send it to LWRC so they can replace the whole handguard with a new one and charge me for it.
Link Posted: 2/28/2015 10:24:02 PM EDT
[#7]
BTW, I don't use HeliCoils on gun stuff. They have their place and have used them a ton, but I like to use Time Serts or threaded inserts from McMaster-Carr. The threaded inserts have locking pins on them. I use the thin wall design for guns.
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 1:43:51 AM EDT
[#8]
Dammit, i just stripped another hole. What will happen if i buy an 8/32 tap and run it thru the 8/32 holes that are already stripped? Or do i have to go one size higher for the tap to be effective? 8/36 i believe is the next size up right?
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 1:52:58 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Dammit, i just stripped another hole. What will happen if i buy an 8/32 tap and run it thru the 8/32 holes that are already stripped? Or do i have to go one size higher for the tap to be effective? 8/36 i believe is the next size up right?
View Quote

You need a larger diameter, not a higher thread count.
#10 would be the next common size up.
Short stake in anchors have their own set of problems.
A short helicoil hold up well with permanent grade Loctite.

Larger thread (fewer per inch) are used in softer material like aluminum.
Short thread length in aluminum begs for a helicoil.

Link Posted: 3/4/2015 3:16:04 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Ok, so do you recommend i drill a #10 hole and tap it, or just use a helicoil with red loctite in the present condition of the stripped thread?
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 6:03:32 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Ok, so do you recommend i drill a #10 hole and tap it, or just use a helicoil with red loctite in the present condition of the stripped thread?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

A helicoil (generic name is  'steel thread insert') allows you to create a larger diameter hole, thread it at the same pitch,  and then reduce it back to the correct size to hold the same screw size.
The drill diameter for the insert is usually on the packaging or in the kit.
An 8-32 helicoil takes a nominal 11/64 drill size hole.
You can adjust it slightly for thread fit.

Link Posted: 3/4/2015 6:07:27 PM EDT
[#12]
I think i got the right one

Link Posted: 3/4/2015 7:53:00 PM EDT
[#13]
Alright folks, i just drilled, tapped and installed a steel insert with some blue loctite, same one i been using for all screws/bolts on my ar. I already installed the rail where the inserts are. I will follow up in a week or so after i get done shooting to see if they fall out or anything. I still will be sending it to Modern Outfitters to have them replace the whole handguard, just to give me piece of mind. Also might have them cut me down to 14.5 + weld the surefire brake on there. Thanks for all your help people.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top