Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/23/2015 6:32:32 PM EDT
So harbor freight  has glass bead, black oxide, and walnut shell. Plus soda blasting equipment.

What type of media would I want to use to take the shine off stainless steal for cerakoting?  How about a little deeper for scratch removal ( can see scratches but can't really feel them, maybe just a bit.

They have a super cheap $25 or so set up for blasting or a $59 pressurized tank for media. I'll hardly ever use it but don't want to struggle with a piece of crap. What say you?
Link Posted: 1/23/2015 6:53:46 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/23/2015 11:05:09 PM EDT
[#2]
I use coal slag almost exclusively. $7 for a 50 pound bag at Menard's. Here's my stainless steel 1911 frame blasted with coal slag (I later finished it up with a bead blast finish):

Link Posted: 1/24/2015 2:43:28 PM EDT
[#3]
I use 70 grit from Harbor Freight. It helps the Cerakote bite. Do not use glass beads, it will only burnish the surface and Cerakote does not like to stay stuck to it.
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 10:52:53 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 12:07:53 AM EDT
[#5]
OK thanks. Interesting stuff. Never heard of using coal slag. Sounds like oxide will be the choice, will walnut shells smooth that out just a bit and leave more tooth for the cerakote than oxide followed by glass bead?
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 10:56:27 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
OK thanks. Interesting stuff. Never heard of using coal slag. Sounds like oxide will be the choice, will walnut shells smooth that out just a bit and leave more tooth for the cerakote than oxide followed by glass bead?
View Quote

I would just use the aluminum oxide and no glass beads. The glass beads will likely "erase" the etching done by the aluminum oxide.

http://www.cerakoteguncoatings.com/resources/files/Cerakote-Training-Manual-Web.pdf
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 2:51:12 AM EDT
[#7]
I used Quickcrete Fine Sand to blast an M1 Garand for refinishing, on advice from a local gunsmith.    It worked well.
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 10:56:51 AM EDT
[#8]
I use fine grit play sand from home depot, seems to do the trick. I went this route as i dont have a blast cabinet and just secure my items to a cinder block in the yard and blast away. When im done run over the area with a mower to spread the sand around the yard
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 1:30:52 PM EDT
[#9]
Most people have a Fastenal in there area, I get my aluminum oxide from them in 120 grit for Ceracoting and parkerizing. 80 is a bit rough
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 3:05:48 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I use fine grit play sand from home depot, seems to do the trick. I went this route as i dont have a blast cabinet and just secure my items to a cinder block in the yard and blast away. When im done run over the area with a mower to spread the sand around the yard
View Quote

I seriously hope you're using a respirator when you're doing that.
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 3:35:21 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

yep, mask, goggles, gloves, long sleeves, etc...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top