Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/15/2014 12:04:01 PM EDT
I bought the Hornady Hot tub because it was advertised to hold a complete upper and I want to clean my suppressors without disassembling.  now Im told sonic cleaners are bad fro aluminum?????  really?  all it is water a little solution and some vibrations.  right???
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 4:57:51 PM EDT
[#1]
This mostly depends on what solution you're using.
As example, some of the strong soap cleaners like Simply Green and Greased Lightning will attack aluminum.
Put it in an ultrasonic tank and it attacks faster.

I know I've heard people say that ultrasonics will damage aluminum, but i been using ultrasonics since the 1960's and I  haven't seen any damage to aluminum EXCEPT aluminum foil, which ultrasonics will blow tiny holes through.
I normally don't run plastics or aluminum any longer in the tank then absolutely necessary, and I'm very careful what cleaner solutions I use.
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 5:50:37 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I know I've heard people say that ultrasonics will damage aluminum, but i been using ultrasonics since the 1960's and I  haven't seen any damage to aluminum EXCEPT aluminum foil, which ultrasonics will blow tiny holes through.
I normally don't run plastics or aluminum any longer in the tank then absolutely necessary, and I'm very careful what cleaner solutions I use.
View Quote

This has been my experience as well. I think it may be possible to damage AL, but not common. Maybe it's just at a certain resonant frequency for your particular part that you will see damage??? I've never had anything damaged by it...
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 10:36:29 PM EDT
[#3]
Alkali solutions, Chloride solutions, are hard on aluminum.
Drano is lye and aluminum chips to generate heat.
Lye EATS aluminum.

Weaker cleaning solutions and let the vibration work for you.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 9:16:46 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 12/23/2014 11:38:45 PM EDT
[#5]
There are solutions that claim they are aluminum safe, but in theory if it eats up foil it will do the same to your suppressor over time. There is a large difference though between theory and reality. Everything makes a difference, like how dirty the suppressor is, what type of coatings are on it, etc. I haven't seen any first hand mishaps with aluminum suppressors in a sonic cleaner, but I have seen aluminum carbs eaten up by them. I've also seen carbs eaten up by dip solutions too. When I researched it a couple years back I concluded that the risk wasn't worth the reward but YMMV.
Link Posted: 1/5/2015 3:58:56 PM EDT
[#6]
Worked at a range that rented guns years ago and they used a ultrasonic on rental pistols.

It is purely anecdotal, but I remember a broken Sig 228 frame (aluminum alloy) and a broken Ruger P95 (I think it was cast stainless steel frame).  

Don't remember what solution was used back then.

Then again, the maintnance on rental guns was really bad & they were shot on a constant basis - so it might not have been the ultrasonic cleaner at all.
Link Posted: 1/6/2015 1:11:48 PM EDT
[#7]
Best solution I have found is Brownells. Water based and works fantastic. Use it on aluminum parts all the time.
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 9:22:23 AM EDT
[#8]
This Jug Here From Brownells??

Thanks
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 5:36:51 PM EDT
[#9]
I saw a sister Fed agency buy a new super duper ultasonic cleaner for their range and the range officer drop in 4 sig 228's... An hour later they all came out silver!!!

Ate the anodizing right off the frames and the nitron off the stainless slides. I think the after math determined they were using simple green.

Sent back to sig who decomissioned them, nothing in the guns was useable...

Be careful what you use for the cleaning solution!!!
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 7:24:01 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I saw a sister Fed agency buy a new super duper ultasonic cleaner for their range and the range officer drop in 4 sig 228's... An hour later they all came out silver!!!

Ate the anodizing right off the frames and the nitron off the stainless slides. I think the after math determined they were using simple green.

Sent back to sig who decomissioned them, nothing in the guns was useable...

Be careful what you use for the cleaning solution!!!
View Quote

You and I paid for that fuckup.
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 1:42:16 PM EDT
[#11]
Duplicate
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 1:42:16 PM EDT
[#12]
There's no reason to leave gun parts in an ultrasonic cleaner for an hour.
That's WAY over kill.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top