Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/13/2014 11:43:06 PM EDT

Are there any cons to this?

I recently used vinegar to strip rust and bluing off an old shotgun, and it worked quite well.
Link Posted: 11/14/2014 10:24:22 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:

Are there any cons to this?

I recently used vinegar to strip rust and bluing off an old shotgun, and it worked quite well.
View Quote

Not sure, you have any pics?
Link Posted: 11/14/2014 11:31:57 AM EDT
[#2]
I've used it to clean rust and scale from metal fuel cans with success and I've heard of it being used for the same purpose on motorcycle tanks.

How did it interact with the bluing of the shotgun? It is acidic and would need to be removed or neutralized in some manner.
Link Posted: 11/14/2014 11:54:09 AM EDT
[#3]
Just use WD40... Why risk it?
Link Posted: 11/14/2014 5:36:53 PM EDT
[#4]
The "con" is that bluing is a form of rust.  Vinegar will remove rust slowly and will quickly remove bluing.

Some people have found this out the hard way when taking advice to use vinegar and hydrogen peroxide to clean leading out of a barrel.
The vinegar will spray off a bore brush in droplets and the gun looks like it has white "freckles" on the bluing.
The freckles are where the droplets of vinegar removed the blue.
Link Posted: 11/14/2014 11:43:08 PM EDT
[#5]
The 'con' is vinegar is a weak acetic acid and it does not care what it eats.  Two summers ago I had a set of 'white' bead blasted PTG trigger guards in zip locks that got some surface rust.  Tried vinegar on one and elbow grease on the other.  Vinegar worked faster and left an etched surface.  Both painted up fine .

I'd go slow in trying this on anything blued or otherwise, for a weak acid it seem's to need to be watched.
Link Posted: 11/15/2014 9:02:59 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 11/18/2014 4:32:40 AM EDT
[#7]
Don't get vinegar anywhere near nickel or it will be bad, eats it away.
Link Posted: 11/18/2014 4:51:46 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 11/19/2014 12:08:48 AM EDT
[#9]
I have used it on several small parts.  It works differently on different metals. On a barrel band it took rust and all black/blue coloring off.
A hammer from a marlin 30-30 was pretty rusty and it took all the rust off and left the bluing. Both soaked together for about 24 hours.
Link Posted: 11/19/2014 12:21:31 AM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Heard it's the trick to make new tin look like old rusty tin ... haven't confirmed.
View Quote

I'll keep that in mind.

A battery charger will do less damage as it will only pull off the oxidation.   To a point.  Acid could care less
Link Posted: 12/4/2014 12:03:46 PM EDT
[#11]
I usually will mix 50% water and 50% vinegar for any parts.  As stated it will strip off blue though. Below is another great link for rust removal.

Electrolytic Rust Removal
http://www.frets.com/HomeShopTech/Qu...stremoval.html

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top