Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/1/2014 8:51:18 AM EDT
Has anybody heard of this model?
I never have but I have a lead on one and the seller says it's a 3014.
Link Posted: 11/1/2014 11:50:49 AM EDT
[#1]
It might be a 1430-  14" swing,  30" bed
Link Posted: 11/1/2014 12:52:10 PM EDT
[#2]
Seller says it's  got a 10" swing and a 1 9/16" spindle thru hole.
I've asked for general pics and one of the nameplate...
Link Posted: 11/1/2014 8:54:02 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 11/2/2014 6:14:15 PM EDT
[#4]
Get the sn and call Clausing.  They will be able to tell you.  They still sell parts for older machines but are very, very expensive.
Link Posted: 11/3/2014 10:52:33 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Get the sn and call Clausing.  They will be able to tell you.  They still sell parts for older machines but are very, very expensive.
View Quote

Good advice!
I called them this morning and they new the specifics - including who the machine was sold to.
It's a 5914.

If I get it, I'll need to restore or replace the hydro variable speed drive.
It sounds like the motor pulley has been replaced with a fixed sheave.
Link Posted: 11/3/2014 11:06:25 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 11/3/2014 11:43:59 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Consider a three phase motor and an electonic phase converter instead of messing with the hydraulic speed adjuster.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good advice!
I called them this morning and they new the specifics - including who the machine was sold to.
It's a 5914.

Consider a three phase motor and an electonic phase converter instead of messing with the hydraulic speed adjuster.

I'm considering this.  Do you have a rough idea what such a conversion would cost?  
I'm looking at the machine tomorrow and it would be useful to have an idea if we talk cash.
Link Posted: 11/4/2014 9:09:15 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 11/12/2014 11:22:56 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

3 phase motors are cheap.  A converter costs less than $200 for the motor HP range you'll need for that lathe.  You might have to change the pulleys to get the speed range set up; I'd look at the converter specs to understand the lowest frequency recommended for operation.  I think you want to preserve the jack shaft in the Clausing, partly to reduce belt length.  But the stars might align so nothing is required to the existing set up.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good advice!
It's a 5914.

Consider a three phase motor and an electronic phase converter instead of messing with the hydraulic speed adjuster.

I'm considering this.  Do you have a rough idea what such a conversion would cost?  
I'm looking at the machine tomorrow and it would be useful to have an idea if we talk cash.

3 phase motors are cheap.  A converter costs less than $200 for the motor HP range you'll need for that lathe.  You might have to change the pulleys to get the speed range set up; I'd look at the converter specs to understand the lowest frequency recommended for operation.  I think you want to preserve the jack shaft in the Clausing, partly to reduce belt length.  But the stars might align so nothing is required to the existing set up.

I've never done a conversion like this but know customers that have done it them selves.  This is the way I would go.  Most that do this kind of thing end up going china because of price.

Like I said, Clausing parts are available but they are very, very expensive.  They might not have them in stock but they will give you a price and make the parts perfectly.
Link Posted: 11/13/2014 7:24:47 AM EDT
[#10]
I was able to scrounge missing parts from ebay and plan to rebuild the reeves drive.
If that fails, I'll swap the single phase motor for 3 phase and get a vfd.

The lathe  was used for about 30 years, most of them in a guys basement turning pool ques.
It seems worth fixing up.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top