Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/23/2014 9:35:07 PM EDT
I have a Rock River 2 stage national match trigger in a carbine, got a new EXO coated BCG and it included the hammer.  My question is would I be losing any thing in swapping out the hammer.  I have never done a trigger work and am wondering if I would degrade performance.  I am not a long distance shooter or a real good  target shooter.   I guess I could always just try it out, but wanted to hear from those out there with trigger work experience.
Link Posted: 8/24/2014 8:38:56 AM EDT
[#1]
It is too easy not to give it a try.
Even a novice should be able to change it out in under 10 min.
Many step by step vids out there.
Link Posted: 8/24/2014 9:21:04 AM EDT
[#2]
If it's a National Match trigger, the hammer that came with the BCG is not going to fit it.

B
Link Posted: 8/24/2014 10:26:11 AM EDT
[#3]
I don't have one, but looking at the photos, it's readily apparent that the RRA Trigger uses a completely different sear surface than standard set ups, the sear is actually on the spur of the hammer, not notched in the base. A standard hammer will not function correctly with the RRA trigger and I doubt you would be able to get the disconnector properly timed and engaged.

The RRA two stage should remain  together as a unit. If you want to use the coated hammer, spend $20 and buy a standard trigger and disconnector.
Link Posted: 8/24/2014 12:37:04 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the replies.  I have not looked at the Rock River trigger since I put it in, do did not look to see any differences.  I was worried about the trigger breaking cleanly with a different hammer.  Will just use the new BCG and the trigger I have in now.
Link Posted: 8/24/2014 10:37:11 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I don't have one, but looking at the photos, it's readily apparent that the RRA Trigger uses a completely different sear surface than standard set ups, the sear is actually on the spur of the hammer, not notched in the base. A standard hammer will not function correctly with the RRA trigger and I doubt you would be able to get the disconnector properly timed and engaged.

The RRA two stage should remain  together as a unit. If you want to use the coated hammer, spend $20 and buy a standard trigger and disconnector.
View Quote

Don't try to mix and match FCG's
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 2:14:46 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 10:13:47 PM EDT
[#7]
I'm not sure if I'm getting endorsed or detracted, so let me clarify my thoughts a little.

Obviously, the RRA should stay unitized.

The coated hammer is one that is sent with the Bolt carrier as a replacement for a standard hammer I believe, but coated. At least the ones I've seen are, or are advertised as such.

In my view, there would be little issue if it was installed with a standard trigger, disconnector and springs.

Milspec hammers, triggers and disconnectors are sold individually as replacement parts, and a packaged from bins, so I see little issue with mixing and matching milspec parts, which is what I believe the coated hammer to be, in addition, it was sold for that very purpose. Thus my notation that if the OP wanted to use the coated hammer, he should use it with a standard trigger and disconnector.

Are you guys disagreeing with that line of thought, or endorsing it? I'm not completely clear whether when you say " Don't Mix and Match", your referring to between the two sets, or at all.

If not at all, why not?

Link to example EXO and Hammer Pair
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 5:43:57 PM EDT
[#8]
Keep the RRA assembly in your carbine and save the hammer for another build or sell it. You have a good trigger/hammer set up now and it will definitely make you shoot better.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top