Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/25/2014 6:56:53 PM EDT

I am going to give this a try.  What are my needs?  What are the pitfalls?

As it stands right now I have a Bridgeport J head mill with a fixed 6" vise.  Manual feed in all directions.  Step pulley speed.  No DRO, but I'm thinking I'd have to be on crack to do this without a DRO.  This would justify the DRO purchase.

I see the possibility of needing an angle vise, possible a rotary vise/table and some tooling.  I will likely get some of the tooling needed to finish an 80%, just gotta get this block to that point.

From the print I have, the maximum dimensions on a receiver is 1.258 X 2.200 X 7.000.  This block is 1.500+ X 3.000+ X 7.00+.  Plenty of material.  It is 7075 T-651 aluminum.

I do see some non-flat, contoured surfaces in this receiver.  Those probably would present a challenge.  I do have a factory 10/22 for reference.

Thanks for any help.
Link Posted: 6/26/2014 7:48:34 AM EDT
[#1]
I'd suggest starting with a couple of 80%'ers, but that might be the easy way out.

ETA 10/22 80% Receiver Link
Link Posted: 6/26/2014 2:38:11 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'd suggest starting with a couple of 80%'ers, but that might be the easy way out.

View Quote

That's not a bad price And easy to finish.
Link Posted: 6/26/2014 2:48:07 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I bought one, paid  $10 more I think for an anodized one. Needed a replacement since my 1976 model has a cracked receiver(its a long story of black dogs, deer mounts, bright sun coffee tables and stupidity)

Haven't gotaroundtuit yet, but it seems like a very nicely made piece.
Link Posted: 6/26/2014 2:51:22 PM EDT
[#4]
I finished a Razor 80% with the extended rail a while back, no issues other than their drawings that come with the receiver were a little off.

You should have no trouble making a perfectly functional receiver from your block, it just won't be quite as pretty without all the extra setups and tools.
Link Posted: 6/28/2014 1:10:17 PM EDT
[#5]
i've got an 80% receiver
i'll make you a deal :-)
Link Posted: 6/28/2014 1:38:21 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
i've got an 80% receiveri'll make you a deal :-)
View Quote

OK, I might take you up on that.  But my real goal is to make one from scratch.
Link Posted: 6/28/2014 1:59:19 PM EDT
[#7]
I made a 10/22WMR receiver from scratch out of 304SS. I made a bolt also.

I'd say the most difficult areas would be the boss where the recoil spring rod goes.
The front counterbore for the magazine.
The undercutting in the ejection port for the bolt.

I was able to EDM most of the bad spots.
I ground an endmill into a custom cutter for the ejection port.
Link Posted: 6/28/2014 9:48:00 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I was able to EDM most of the bad spots.
View Quote

Which type of EDM? Wire?
I just figure if this is a one-off, that would be the easiest and cheapest route.
Link Posted: 6/28/2014 11:54:54 PM EDT
[#9]
While I did WEDM the profile just because I could, it was sinker that helped most. For picking out the corner in front of the the recoil spring boss, the angled area at the end of the receiver, in addition to the holes I mentioned.

They can be done with a drill, but need to be drilled at an angle.

I'll try and get a few pics up tomorrow.
Link Posted: 6/30/2014 9:08:28 AM EDT
[#10]
Hers the cutter I used in the ejection port. Dia is .430 and .108 thick, ground section is .155 diameter by .460 long.
Link Posted: 6/30/2014 9:09:31 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Hers the cutter I used in the ejection port. Dia is .430 and .108 thick, ground section is .155 diameter by .460 long.
<a href="http://s25.photobucket.com/user/wintermute76/media/Mobile%20Uploads/IMAG090_edit_1404133447650.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c73/wintermute76/Mobile%20Uploads/IMAG090_edit_1404133447650.jpg</a>
View Quote

Fortunately I've got a few key/slot cutters laying around

But I've had to do similar things for jobs like reprofiling a 7.62 AR extractor to fit a .45acp case.
Link Posted: 6/30/2014 9:11:44 AM EDT
[#12]
Inside of the receiver.
Link Posted: 6/30/2014 9:27:19 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

But I've had to do similar things for jobs like reprofiling a 7.62 AR extractor to fit a .45acp case.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
<a href="http://s25.photobucket.com/user/wintermute76/media/Mobile%20Uploads/IMAG090_edit_1404133447650.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c73/wintermute76/Mobile%20Uploads/IMAG090_edit_1404133447650.jpg</a>

I think I had to go this route to get it far enough forward to cut clearance for the front corner of the bolt.
Link Posted: 8/7/2014 12:51:21 AM EDT
[#14]
There is a good thread on Rimfire Central about making a brass receiver. It's kinda long but should give some insight into what you are wanting to do.
http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=483339
Link Posted: 8/12/2014 3:42:21 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
While I did WEDM the profile just because I could, it was sinker that helped most. For picking out the corner in front of the the recoil spring boss, the angled area at the end of the receiver, in addition to the holes I mentioned.

View Quote

I used to work with a tool maker who had an old wire machine in his home shop.  He wired a 10/22 mag receiver with integral scope rings (lower half anyway).  Neat project.
Link Posted: 8/12/2014 7:10:13 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I used to work with a tool maker who had an old wire machine in his home shop.  He wired a 10/22 mag receiver with integral scope rings (lower half anyway).  Neat project.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I thought of that after the fact. I need to get mine out to the range again. Have some misfeeds, think I need a stiffer recoil spring.
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 11:09:09 AM EDT
[#17]
I also cut a 10/22 receiver from billet on a bridgeport.  Like said above it's the undercut and the corners that are pita. Take your time it's a fun project.
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 11:13:20 AM EDT
[#18]
So why does it not have a picatinny rail on top?
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 8:01:19 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
i've got an 80% receiveri'll make you a deal :-)

If you haven't done so, spend a little time searching and reading over at Homegunsmith
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top