Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/21/2014 11:13:41 AM EDT
I've got an M1 Carbine walnut stock that has a small 1/2" long crack in the nose of the front end.  I've stripped the old gummy finish off of the gun with 0000 steel wool and Minwax Furniture Refinisher, and am about to reseal the stock with boiled linseed oil.  However, I would like to fill and fix this small crack before I do so.  It does not appear to be a function hampering crack, just cosmetic.

What will bond the crack the best, and not require sanding?  I did not want to remove any dents or patina from stock by sanding.  I was thinking about gently prying the crack apart and squirting in some gel superglue, clamping the nose together quickly and using rag and steel wool to remove any excess superglue.

Are there better methods?
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 4:47:29 PM EDT
[#1]
Be sure the superglue is labeled for porous materials such as wood.
Personally, I'd use Acraglas epoxy from Brownells, dyed to match the wood and warmed with a hair drier to best flow into the thin crack.
Wrap with latex surgical tubing if it's difficult to clamp without denting, etc.
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 4:50:32 PM EDT
[#2]
If it's just a hair line crack why not use Elmers wood glue?

Instead of BLO, I'd consider useing tung oil, so you don't have to remove the "gummy finish" in the the future.
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 5:19:29 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 5:40:23 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks.  It was such a tiny crack that I couldn't even get it to separate far enough to get much superglue in the crack.  Not a real problem afterall.

But.... I put linseed oil on the stock because that is what was used on WWII GI stocks, wasn't it?  I use tung oil on my other gun projects, but used LSO on this carbine for a change.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 5:56:58 PM EDT
[#5]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top