Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/3/2014 5:42:07 AM EDT
Hey all, so as some of you know, I'm currently a student at SDI working towards my AS in firearms tech. and gunsmithing cert. I know, its not as good as CST or TSJC, but its what I can do with my time/location.

I have a few projects i'm working on, two being customizing my 1911, and bringing my old nagant back to life, as well as drilling/tapping it for scope rings/base.

So, for those guys that do gunsmithing work, what tools/machines do you have? what would you suggest I focus on getting to start out?

I'm looking at a table top drill press for sure, but what else? What do you find comes in the most-handy?
Link Posted: 4/3/2014 6:15:55 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 4/3/2014 8:47:43 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Start with correct screwdrivers, files, and stones.

Get a vise for the drill press.  Learn how to make screwdriver tips correct for the screw slot.

Buy good quality files.  If they don't have a safe edge, then put a safe edge on them.  That means you'll need a bench grinder.

Locate the grinder and any disc or belt sanders in their own corner where the dust can be controlled and kept away from the other tools.  Near a window is a good idea.  In a separate room is a better idea.

Start collecting stones now.  Don't be afraid to modify them for the job.  Don't get stuck looking just at the stones for sale at Brownell's, although that is a good place to start.

Get familiar with the tools and equipment for sale at MSC Industrial, EMCO, McMaster Carr, Grainger, and Fastenal.  For now.

Also, buy the biggest Foredom tool you can find and a box full of burrs, stones, saws, and cutting wheels.

View Quote

thanks Aero! i was hoping you would comment. The grinder is the thing I forgot about. I knew i was forgetting something. Screw drivers, I should be getting a set from brownells through school, but not sure when/which ones I am getting. Hoping they arn't total crap. We shall see.
I was looking at graphite cleaning rods and HOLY mother of god they are expensive! haha.
Link Posted: 4/4/2014 4:21:03 AM EDT
[#3]
The most important tool is between your ears.
Next to that is every single bit of reference material you can find.
Link Posted: 4/4/2014 9:20:51 AM EDT
[#4]
Thanks! One thing I've been thinking about doing is contacting each company and seeing if I can get parts lists and schematics for every weapon they make.. Seems like it would help out A LOT
Link Posted: 4/4/2014 9:24:38 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Start with correct screwdrivers, files, and stones.

Get a vise for the drill press.  Learn how to make screwdriver tips correct for the screw slot.

Buy good quality files.  If they don't have a safe edge, then put a safe edge on them.  That means you'll need a bench grinder.

Locate the grinder and any disc or belt sanders in their own corner where the dust can be controlled and kept away from the other tools.  Near a window is a good idea.  In a separate room is a better idea.

Start collecting stones now.  Don't be afraid to modify them for the job.  Don't get stuck looking just at the stones for sale at Brownell's, although that is a good place to start.

Get familiar with the tools and equipment for sale at MSC Industrial, EMCO, McMaster Carr, Grainger, and Fastenal.  For now.

Also, buy the biggest Foredom tool you can find and a box full of burrs, stones, saws, and cutting wheels.

View Quote

Any advice on who makes a decent set?

Link Posted: 4/4/2014 9:51:10 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 4/4/2014 10:22:45 AM EDT
[#7]
J B Wood’s Assembly/ Disassemble books are a good source of info.

A 20 gallon parts washer will get a lot of use and will have the quickest ROI of any tool you purchase (you can pay for it in less than a  day when you have a few guns to clean).  
Link Posted: 4/7/2014 4:23:10 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

A 20 gallon parts washer will get a lot of use and will have the quickest ROI of any tool you purchase (you can pay for it in less than a  day when you have a few guns to clean).  
View Quote

This is something I REALLY wish I had right now. This barrel from my Mosin is CAKED with metal fouling. I have been working on it for 3 days now with Hoppes No. 9 bore cleaner. Its better than when I started, but still has metal fouling. Would be soo much easier to just set it in a tank and let it soak lol
Link Posted: 4/7/2014 4:58:50 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 4/8/2014 6:41:53 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Practical gunsmithing lesson:

Make a plug for each of the barrel.  Plug the chamber.  Fill the barrel with Butch's Bore Shine.  Plug the other end, set the gun with the barrel pointing up.  Let soak overnight.

Or, try cleaning with Sweet's 7.62 or some other dedicated copper solvent for bores.  I won't recommend soaking overnight, but only because someone will get butt hurt.  I've never seen damage from long soaks in Sweet's.

You might as buy a bottle now, it's going to be a tool on your bench for a long time.

One other approach is to use one of the paste cleaners.  I recommend the stiff brushes sold by Iosso.  There's a trick with these; the color of patches run through a bore a thousand times will come out black, or very dark gray.  The bore was clean way before that, so check.

You're going to need that stuff on your bench, too.

Get a good white light for peeking into bores to see copper.  An incadescent light looks yellow in the bore and copper is just about impossible to see.  I can't see copper in a .22 caliber bore at all with any light.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This is something I REALLY wish I had right now. This barrel from my Mosin is CAKED with metal fouling. I have been working on it for 3 days now with Hoppes No. 9 bore cleaner. Its better than when I started, but still has metal fouling. Would be soo much easier to just set it in a tank and let it soak lol

Practical gunsmithing lesson:

Make a plug for each of the barrel.  Plug the chamber.  Fill the barrel with Butch's Bore Shine.  Plug the other end, set the gun with the barrel pointing up.  Let soak overnight.

Or, try cleaning with Sweet's 7.62 or some other dedicated copper solvent for bores.  I won't recommend soaking overnight, but only because someone will get butt hurt.  I've never seen damage from long soaks in Sweet's.

You might as buy a bottle now, it's going to be a tool on your bench for a long time.

One other approach is to use one of the paste cleaners.  I recommend the stiff brushes sold by Iosso.  There's a trick with these; the color of patches run through a bore a thousand times will come out black, or very dark gray.  The bore was clean way before that, so check.

You're going to need that stuff on your bench, too.

Get a good white light for peeking into bores to see copper.  An incadescent light looks yellow in the bore and copper is just about impossible to see.  I can't see copper in a .22 caliber bore at all with any light.

awesome, thanks! I picked up a bore light from bass pro, its LED, seems to work really well.  I'll order some sweets as well as some Iosso brushes tonight. I did find that an 8mm brush works better than the .30 brush..
Link Posted: 4/8/2014 8:13:28 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 4/8/2014 8:23:09 AM EDT
[#12]
Depends on how deep you want to get, I went the fullsize mill, lathe and welder route...
Link Posted: 4/8/2014 10:33:47 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
If you soak the barrel, you might want to put it muzzle down in a pan in case your plug leaks.

You ought to try cleaning with Sweet's and a good brush first, it probably doesn't need to be soaked.

View Quote

Thanks Aero! I shouldn't have any problems using the Sweets in my basement, should I? Ive read its pretty pottent stuff. I've never been one to use gloves when cleaning, but Some people seem to recommend it when using sweets.
Link Posted: 4/8/2014 12:23:03 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 4/10/2014 7:29:31 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
It's ammonia central and it's gonna clear your sinuses; don't lean over to get a big sniff from the bottle.  The lid has a flip up dispenser that goes a long way to controlling the smell.  But there's no problem using it indoors.  My wife and daughters complain about the smell of Butch's, Sweet's, and Hoppe's; they just don't appreciate the experience.

View Quote

haha. An experience it is. I personally enjoy the smells of gun solvents.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top