Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/16/2014 2:52:10 PM EDT
This is my first time to do a project like this.  I just wanted to share.
Shotgun was $150 otd at pawn shop.

I turned the barrel blank down first to get a proper fit inside the shotgun barrel.

The blue is so I could get a proper final fitting.

Once that was all squared away, I started on the chamber. (Chamber reamer was $80 new)

At this point I test fired to make sure all was well with the world.  Extraction of spent casings reared it's ugly head when I was having to poke them out with a dowel rod, or pick them out with my pocket knife.

Since everything was working, I crowned the muzzle, and threaded so I could attach a silencer.

This is the blank inside the shotgun.  Everything lined up perfectly.

I must say at this point that I do not own a milling machine, just a lathe, so I used an angle grinder to cut out some spots for easier case extraction.

It worked ok, but I was still not satisfied.

I decided to make an extractor that functioned off of the existing shotgun hull extractor.  I had to borrow a friends mill, but being proficient with a lathe made milling a breeze.  First I had to make a duplicate part on the lathe that mimicked the chamber of the shotgun on the outside, and the brass casing on the inside.  This is what I came up with.

After a couple of hours with my friends mill, I turned that part into what you see here, I also used a roll pin, and milled a slot for it in my 9mm conversion, so it would all fit nicely together.  I was actually amazed it all worked out on my very first try.

Hope you like this, I sure did.  Oh, and the whole thing was so I could quietly shoot 9mm with a silencer, I built the silencer (Legal, approved form1), and needed a proper host, and since I couldn't find one, I made one.
Link Posted: 3/16/2014 3:37:28 PM EDT
[#1]
Kyle,

I saw this project on Silencetalk, glad to see you got the extractor figured out.

Zach
Link Posted: 3/18/2014 8:49:25 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 3/19/2014 10:11:16 AM EDT
[#3]
ive wanted to do this with my old 20g single shot but in .45acp, but the one place that makes drop ins use a oring to center it at the end and i was looking to weld the liner in the old shot gun to make it permanant, i wish i had a lathe that would do this the old on at the shop is not in good shape anymore it needs  afull overhaul to work for this kinda thing.
Link Posted: 3/28/2014 6:08:26 PM EDT
[#4]
I've done one on a 12g to 45acp.  Took an old H&R, cut the barrel off about 3" long, threaded internally and screwed in a 45 blank.  Profiled and cut it for a .308 extractor.  Still not done but should be a neat gun soon.

Link Posted: 3/29/2014 1:49:53 PM EDT
[#5]
nice job
Link Posted: 3/30/2014 6:35:50 AM EDT
[#6]
Very nicely done and excellent pictures!

How quiet did this turn out since you only have the hammer and super sonic bullet making noise?
Link Posted: 3/31/2014 6:36:56 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Very nicely done and excellent pictures!

How quiet did this turn out since you only have the hammer and super sonic bullet making noise?
View Quote

Sub sonic, not super.  Velocity is only 650fps with 147gr.  

Have you ever shot a red ryder bb gun?  Well, it's quieter than that!
Link Posted: 3/31/2014 6:43:30 PM EDT
[#8]
Although it's cool that is a big waste of time and material.
Link Posted: 4/1/2014 9:17:16 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

Maybe to you, but some of us like unique firearms/projects, I personally want to build/construct a magazine feed 9mm bolt action rifle.

I wonder if the barrel blank could have been turned into it's own suppressor, granted that would have required it's own stamp.  I'm not sure how thick the barrels wall is or if fit from the blank in the barrel could be tight enough to create an efficient chamber, while still being able to remove it without tools.  

Zach
Link Posted: 4/1/2014 9:48:39 AM EDT
[#10]
Great project

I converted 20 gauge mossberg bolt action to .44 magnum using IMI timberwolf barrel.

Added ejector to the bolt.  Works pretty good.
Link Posted: 4/1/2014 1:01:09 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

I am completly flabergasted by this statement! Geesh man.

The idea was spurred by the insane quietness of my 300 aac blk handi rifle, it is a real treat to shoot with the kids and such, but ammo is relatively expensive for just playing around.

So, I thought.  Why not do a 9mm rifle, it'd be just as quiet, and a lot cheaper to shoot....so, viola.  

It only took me 2 evenings to build, and I had a barrel blank already.  It's used for burning ammo in my back yard with kids and company.

So, I'm curious, why do you think that  this such a waste?  
Link Posted: 4/1/2014 3:26:32 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

The idea was spurred by the insane quietness of my 300 aac blk handi rifle, it is a real treat to shoot with the kids and such, but ammo is relatively expensive for just playing around.

So, I thought.  Why not do a 9mm rifle, it'd be just as quiet, and a lot cheaper to shoot....so, viola.  

It only took me 2 evenings to build, and I had a barrel blank already.  It's used for burning ammo in my back yard with kids and company.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I said it was cool.

That long of a barrel in 9mm is waste and it's going to even longer with a can attached. You obviously have some great skills.

Why not a .38/357?  
Link Posted: 4/1/2014 3:46:13 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

Buzzkill.
Link Posted: 4/1/2014 7:57:00 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I said it was cool.

That long of a barrel in 9mm is waste and it's going to even longer with a can attached. You obviously have some great skills.

Why not a .38/357?  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I said it was cool.

Why not a .38/357?  

Thanks for the compliment.

My reasoning was twofold.
I have buckets and buckets full of loaded 9mm ammo, and all the whiz bang stuff to roll out 1000 per hour more if needed.  Only have single stage for 38/357, so it was an easy decision there.   The reason for the length is also I'm making it out of a shotgun, and can't go below 18" without another $200 stamp, and it just wasn't worth it to me.  

If the use for this was hunting and such I'd definitely go a different caliber, but I've got a bunch of guns for that already.
Link Posted: 4/2/2014 7:14:18 AM EDT
[#15]
kinda related kinda unrelated project but i finaly found an old mauser donor to build my .45acp bolt gun. ive always like the idea of a suppressed pistol carbine that i can reload for easily, i have a brand new set of  hornady 45 dies no press yet the deal on that fell through but i can get a single stage easy enough
Link Posted: 4/2/2014 7:22:47 AM EDT
[#16]
Nice build.

It might have been a shotgun, but now fires center fire ammunition.

18" bbl does not apply.

Wack it down to 16
Link Posted: 4/8/2014 10:13:07 AM EDT
[#17]
Just curious, but would it be possible to turn a barrel blank into a barrel by turning it down to the proper contour, milling and installing an ejector, and welding a lug (where it pivots on the action) to it?
Link Posted: 4/8/2014 1:25:02 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Nice build.

18" bbl does not apply.

Wack it down to 16
View Quote

Still a shotgun.

I just made an insert that goes inside of it.
Link Posted: 4/8/2014 1:25:43 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Just curious, but would it be possible to turn a barrel blank into a barrel by turning it down to the proper contour, milling and installing an ejector, and welding a lug (where it pivots on the action) to it?
View Quote

Anything is possible.
Link Posted: 4/8/2014 5:29:08 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 4/8/2014 5:32:41 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 4/9/2014 2:38:40 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Still a shotgun.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Nice build.

18" bbl does not apply.

Wack it down to 16

Still a shotgun.

From ATFs website:

Firearms Verification

Gun Control Act Definitions
Shotgun
18 U.S.C., § 921(A)(5) and 27 CFR § 478.11

The term “Shotgun” means a weapon designed or redesigned, made or remade, and intended to be fired from the shoulder, and designed or redesigned and made or remade to use the energy of the explosive in a fixed shotgun shell to fire through a smooth bore either a number of ball shot or a single projectile for each single pull of the trigger.

Rifle
18 U.S.C., § 921(A)(7) and 27 CFR § 478.11

The term “Rifle” means a weapon designed or redesigned, made or remade, and intended to be fired from the shoulder and designed or redesigned and made or remade to use the energy of the explosive in a fixed metallic cartridge to fire only a single projectile through a rifled bore for each single pull of the trigger.

You do not have a smooth bore or fire shotgun shells
Link Posted: 4/9/2014 2:52:59 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 4/9/2014 5:18:34 AM EDT
[#24]
Really neat project and very well done.
Does your barrel insert contact the shotgun barrel the full length or just in a couple of places?
Link Posted: 4/9/2014 8:16:02 AM EDT
[#25]
It contacts the full length.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 4/10/2014 9:59:17 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

The insert is not permanent, it's easily removed.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You do not have a smooth bore or fire shotgun shells

The insert is not permanent, it's easily removed.

An AR15 upper is not permanent, and is easy to remove.  Adding a sub 16" upper to a lower with a stock would be making an SBR.

You could make the argument here that adding a rifled barrel converts it to a rifle.  I don't think the issue has come up often, and I'm not sure what the BATFE has to say about Shotgun to Rifle and back.  Its pretty clear that its not creating an SBR, SBS, so there shouldn't be an issue with it.
Link Posted: 4/10/2014 10:49:21 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 4/10/2014 12:01:01 PM EDT
[#28]
Very nice, OP.  Not only have you thought through the mechanical issues, you also thought about the legal ones, and you choose to maintain a legal 20 ga shotgun.  Brilliant.
Link Posted: 4/10/2014 12:17:32 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
for just three examples.

View Quote

Right, I think we're agreeing when its in rifle state, its subject to those rules, and when its in a shotgun state, its subject to those rules.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top