Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/4/2014 3:26:16 PM EDT
I'm starting to accumulate all of the right tools, with much help from the ARF community. Next is the correct roll pin punches. I bought some pin holders, but need some of the correct punches now. Does anyone know the size of the roll pins and what punches will be needed for the gas tube roll pin and gas block roll pin? Pretty sure I'm going to buy the Brownells Bolt catch roll pin punch, so I'm good there!
Link Posted: 3/4/2014 4:50:00 PM EDT
[#1]
Why not just go to the hardware store and buy a whole set? Im sure youll fund a use for them, from time to time, for the rest of your life
Link Posted: 3/4/2014 5:08:42 PM EDT
[#2]
$11.45 for a set on Amazon with free 2-Day shipping if you have prime

LINK
Link Posted: 3/4/2014 5:24:22 PM EDT
[#3]
The punched on Amazon have really low ratings. And I thought that the punches for AR's are designed not to bend or deform the pins.
Link Posted: 3/4/2014 6:04:41 PM EDT
[#4]
......................................................................................................................................
Link Posted: 3/4/2014 6:06:13 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Any punch mis-used will do this.  Sears, NAPA has set's .  Bought mine from Bronwells
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/4/2014 7:44:43 PM EDT
[#6]
Gas tube roll pin and gas block roll pin are the same thing. It's a 5/64 roll pin punch.

The trigger guard uses a 1/8 roll pin. I believe the bolt catch pin is 3/32.  That should be all the punches you need unless you are installing a forward assist yourself.
Link Posted: 3/12/2014 8:47:50 AM EDT
[#7]
I just used the "GRIP" 9PC punch set today.   Three taps with my nylon mallet trying to remove a forward assist roll pin and it bent.  That's crap.   IMO its junk and i'm sending it back.  Buyer beware on that set.  

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The punched on Amazon have really low ratings. And I thought that the punches for AR's are designed not to bend or deform the pins.
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/12/2014 12:30:25 PM EDT
[#8]
Bought mine from Bronwells

Link Posted: 3/20/2014 4:41:28 AM EDT
[#9]
Buy your punches at Brownells. They have roll pin punches and Starrett standard type punches. I use them everyday, 5-10 x a day. Unless you have a Snap On truck that you can get to. Snap On is the best and warranty their punches for LIFE, within reason. I have those also and use them for the tough pins that do not want to move readily.
Link Posted: 3/20/2014 5:43:26 AM EDT
[#10]
I bought this set. I use them for all kinds of stuff. Grace USA Roll Pin Punches
Link Posted: 4/5/2014 11:19:39 AM EDT
[#11]
i bought punches and starters off amazon
built 3 lowers ,just take it easy they work fine
Link Posted: 4/6/2014 3:01:58 PM EDT
[#12]
Brownells is hard to beat for quality. I also have the snap on, quality but not cheap.
Link Posted: 5/10/2014 11:49:13 PM EDT
[#13]
I second the grace roll pin punch set they also have a short roll pin set that's great for driving small tight pins like the gas block pin they don't bend and a set of starters works good to but for the bolt catch and trigger guard pins I use channel locks with tape on one jaw to push them most of the way thru then finish with a roll pin punch also a good set of pin punches well help with non roll pin stuff Starrett makes good ones
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top