Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/24/2012 6:40:31 AM EDT
I am attempting to bed a Savage 6MM BR in a stock I had. The rear action screw is so close to the trigger it's tough to do anything with a pillar so I decided to drill and tap a new hole. The stock I'm using had another rear hole so I used it as the templet. All was well until I broke the tap off in the hole. Bad news is the tap broke off just below the start of the hole and is extending into the action so the bolt will not fit. I thought I was being so careful but the end result says I wasn't. Now to figure out how to remove a tap.

Anyone have any ideas?
Link Posted: 2/24/2012 6:41:54 AM EDT
[#1]
2/3/4 prong tap extractor. Google it.
Link Posted: 2/24/2012 6:46:22 AM EDT
[#2]
Sinker EDM at a machine shop.. Or build your own.

http://modelenginenews.org/meng/edm/p1.html
Link Posted: 2/24/2012 1:32:15 PM EDT
[#3]
Don't know if you'd want to do this on a rifle, but...When I did door installs in prisons and such, when you broke a tap, the easiest way to remove it was to take a punch smaller than the hole, and drive the tap through. Taps are more brittle than the materials you are tapping, and the threads shear off, leaving the threads in the hole intact. Like I said, you may not want to do this on a rifle. I've done it on taps up to 3/4".
Link Posted: 2/25/2012 6:10:25 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Don't know if you'd want to do this on a rifle, but...When I did door installs in prisons and such, when you broke a tap, the easiest way to remove it was to take a punch smaller than the hole, and drive the tap through. Taps are more brittle than the materials you are tapping, and the threads shear off, leaving the threads in the hole intact. Like I said, you may not want to do this on a rifle. I've done it on taps up to 3/4".

that doesn't work real well with high speed steel taps.

Link Posted: 2/25/2012 10:29:27 AM EDT
[#5]
Weld a rod to it, twist rod with pliers.
Sinker EDM.
Break it up with a punch.
What's the parent material?  If it's not steel you can use an alum solution, IIRC, to dissolve it.
Need more ideas?
And no, you can't tap a tap.    

Link Posted: 2/25/2012 11:11:35 AM EDT
[#6]
First post.

Use a tap extractor. They work.

Sear, ebay, amazon, machine shop suppliers.

Link Posted: 2/25/2012 12:53:55 PM EDT
[#7]
I ordered a tap remover on Amazon from Walton Tool. I'll see how that goes.
Link Posted: 2/25/2012 1:01:13 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

I ordered a tap remover on Amazon from Walton Tool. I'll see how that goes.

Contact me if you have problems. I've used tap extractors a fair bit and have some tricks, if it doesnt work immediately.

Good Luck.

Link Posted: 2/25/2012 8:42:38 PM EDT
[#9]
Soak it in KROIL before you do this the night before.....all night!

Quoted:
First post.

Use a tap extractor. They work.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41IdgQVfJYL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Sear, ebay, amazon, machine shop suppliers.

Link Posted: 2/25/2012 9:05:30 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Try it. You'll like it. Promise.
Link Posted: 2/27/2012 10:09:22 AM EDT
[#11]
Tap extractors work when you use them correctly. Soaking in Kroil is a good thing to do as well. Best of luck. Believe me, I know what it's like when they break, but it's far from the end of the world and after a few times it's nothing to remove them.
Link Posted: 2/27/2012 10:24:35 AM EDT
[#12]
OP- what size tap did you break off in what material?

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 2/27/2012 10:29:07 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

It has worked every time for me.   I would be hesitant to do it on a rifle though.
Link Posted: 3/5/2012 1:10:26 PM EDT
[#14]
thats why I have a set of reverse cut carbide bits. if nothing else at least i can retap the hole.
Link Posted: 3/5/2012 2:44:08 PM EDT
[#15]
Good info.
Link Posted: 3/9/2012 3:57:12 AM EDT
[#16]
I drilled it out but without a drill press it was a little sloppy. I only have threads on the bottom of the hole. I can't go too far into it because it hits the bolt. Thinking about a heli-coil if not then a larger size tap. Can't decide.
Link Posted: 3/9/2012 5:24:27 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I drilled it out but without a drill press it was a little sloppy. I only have threads on the bottom of the hole. I can't go too far into it because it hits the bolt. Thinking about a heli-coil if not then a larger size tap. Can't decide.

If you can get a good hole for the STI tap then yes, do it.  If you're worried that you'll only bugger it up further then I would leave it.

Link Posted: 3/9/2012 9:24:13 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:

If you can get a good hole for the STI tap then yes, do it.  If you're worried that you'll only bugger it up further then I would leave it.

And use plenty of tapping fluid - not WD40, cutting oil, etc. - tapping fluid.

Link Posted: 3/9/2012 9:57:58 AM EDT
[#19]
Care to explain why cutting oil would not be recommended for cutting threads?

Link Posted: 3/9/2012 10:26:44 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Care to explain why cutting oil would not be recommended for cutting threads?

It works great for larger taps. But I have always had better luck with tapping specific fliuds on smaller taps.

YMMV

Top Top