Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/16/2017 4:34:09 AM EDT
I had been considering buying an IWI Uzi Pro with the side folding brace for awhile now, and finally decided to order one. I got to pick it up yesterday.

I have always hated rubber Sig/SB Tactical style braces, so that was the first thing that had to go. I got lucky a couple of weeks ago and found a place that had Gear Head Works Tailhook braces in stock. I ordered two of them, one for my CZ Scorpion, and one for the Uzi Pro.

I also added a foam buffer tube cover, a Trijicon MRO, and the hand stop I had laying around from my Scorpion.

Build quality of the Uzi Pro is outstanding. It is heavy for what it is, but feels well balanced because the gun is basically shaped like a T. The side folding mechanism for the brace locks up tightly in both the folded and extended positions.

I took it completely apart and cleaned all of the preservative oil off of everything, inspected it, and then lubricated it. The firing mechanism is pretty cool. I've never seen anything like it before in any firearm I've had apart.

The trigger is not great. I had read that in every review on this gun. It's usable, but it is heavy and mushy.

Last week, I also ordered up 8 new magazines as well. I was really surprised at how cheap they were. I got four 25 round and four 32 round mags. I paid around $13 for the 25 round and $14 for the 32 round. They are factory IWI steel Uzi Pro mags.

I'm going to take it out to the range Saturday, sight it in, and shoot some 124gr Winchester Nato and 115gr Federal 9BPLE +P+ through it.

Here are some pics I took yesterday after I installed everything on it. I also included my CZ Scorpion as a size comparison.

Link Posted: 6/16/2017 4:50:33 AM EDT
[#1]
So awesome. 
Link Posted: 6/16/2017 5:11:22 AM EDT
[#2]
Sweet looking pistols
Link Posted: 6/16/2017 7:09:28 AM EDT
[#3]
If the Pro shoots anything like the UZI Pistol I once owned you like it. Very little recoil and surprisingly accurate.

Keeping mind that Pro mags will function in the older UZIs but the surplus UZI mags will not function in the Pro.
Link Posted: 6/16/2017 8:08:19 AM EDT
[#4]
Pics of the brace folded?
Link Posted: 6/16/2017 9:18:12 AM EDT
[#5]
Where can the brace be purchased at?
Link Posted: 6/16/2017 9:32:38 AM EDT
[#6]
What does a guy need to do to suppress one of those?  Does anyone make a tri lug barrel?
Link Posted: 6/16/2017 10:06:29 AM EDT
[#7]
Thanks for sharing!  Looks great!!

Please let us know how well the top cover mount holds zero.

Regards......Pachucko
Link Posted: 6/16/2017 10:14:36 AM EDT
[#8]
That brace looks bomb on the Uzi!
Link Posted: 6/16/2017 6:15:04 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Where can the brace be purchased at?
View Quote
I was able to find them at Rainier Arms by pure luck. Right place at the right time.

I posted here on AR15.com that they had them in stock. About 30 minutes after I had placed my order, Gear Head Works posted on Facebook that Rainier Arms had them in stock. They sold out within hours.
Link Posted: 6/16/2017 6:18:19 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Pics of the brace folded?
View Quote
I dropped the ball on that one . Here are pics of both sides with the brace folded.

Link Posted: 6/16/2017 10:24:22 PM EDT
[#11]
so sexy
Link Posted: 6/17/2017 9:30:30 AM EDT
[#12]
Cool factor is off the chart .  Nice gun.
Link Posted: 6/17/2017 12:48:29 PM EDT
[#13]
You may have just cost me money.

How can the barrel be threaded?  If I could put my omega9k on there and snag a brace that looks like it could be a fun project.
Link Posted: 6/17/2017 9:28:26 PM EDT
[#14]
I want one too
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 8:17:10 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
You may have just cost me money.

How can the barrel be threaded?  If I could put my omega9k on there and snag a brace that looks like it could be a fun project.
View Quote
The barrel is extremely easy to remove. You would just need to send it off to a company that will thread it to the desired thread pitch.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 8:36:36 PM EDT
[#16]
I've been really busy with work lately, but finally had time to post an update.

I took the Uzi out last Saturday. I fired 150 rounds of Winchester NATO 124gr fmj through it without any issues. Next, I had a 32 round mag loaded with Federal 9BPLE 115gr +P+. I chambered the first round and fired it. The second round was a FTF. The round was at about a 45 degree angle, and the bolt closed on it. I cleared it and the rest of the mag fired without issue.

I decided to see if I could figure out what caused the FTF, so I tried different things using snap caps and I figured out what happened.

With a fully loaded 32 round magazine, the top round is on the left side. This would be the first round to chamber. It chambered every time, using both fmj and jhp snap caps.

I found that if the round on the right side of the mag wasn't fully seated to the rear of the magazine, the FTF I experienced would happen almost every time. Round #2 was fed from the right side of the mag.

This is what happens when the bolt travels rearward, with the round not fully seated to the back of the magazine on the right side.

When the bolt goes forward, this is what happens. This is the FTF I had.

If the round wasn't fully seated against the back of the magazine on the left side, it made no difference. It fed just fine every time.

Here is what it looked like after pulling the bolt over it. I would then release the bolt and it would chamber without any issues.

Link Posted: 6/23/2017 11:36:13 AM EDT
[#17]
Thanks for sharing.  I really want a Pro to keep my TP9 company.  Hopefully the feeding issues are just magazine related.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 3:33:03 PM EDT
[#18]
Man, that's pretty hot.  Uzi pro is on my short list.

I do have a question, though.  How do you hold it?  Looks like you can't really do a traditional rifle/handguard hold as half of that equation doesn't exist ;)

Do you use the trigger guard as the handguard and put a few fingers under the barrel, or hold it like a pistol with a stock?
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 6:02:07 PM EDT
[#19]
Thanks for sharing.  I'm following this thread closely as I bought my first Uzi pro a couple of weeks ago.  I've had one FTE -stovepipe in ~1K rounds.  It was the cheap remington jhp that Walmart sells for $30/100.  Your malf occurred in just the 32 round mag, right? And the mag was topped off?  Good luck in diagnosing the problem, friend - it sounds just mag related to me.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 11:57:52 PM EDT
[#20]
Yeah, the issue was related to just one of the 32 round magazines. All of the 25 rounders and the other 32 round mags worked just fine. I'm going to shoot it some more and see how it does. I don't really worry about malfunctions in the first 300 rounds or so with any new gun.

Most new guns I've ever owned have been flawless from the first round. Some have had a few FTF or FTE that clear up as everything wears in.

I do have a question, though. How do you hold it? Looks like you can't really do a traditional rifle/handguard hold as half of that equation doesn't exist ;)

Do you use the trigger guard as the handguard and put a few fingers under the barrel, or hold it like a pistol with a stock?
View Quote
So, as soon as I picked this Uzi up and held it, I immediately noticed the potential for one's hand to accidentally move in front of the muzzle. This is just due to the fact that there is really nothing to hold on to up front.

I put the hand stop on the Uzi that I had taken off of my Scorpion. This would help block your hand from moving in front of the muzzle, and it does kind of help stabilize it because you can put pressure against it with your support hand.

The Uzi Pro would benefit tremendously from a VFG, because that's what it was designed with from the start. That would require either registering as either an AOW (with brace)or SBR. I like it perfectly fine in pistol configuration with a brace because this thing is so small, it can easily fit into a small EDC bag, or carried in your vehicle, etc.
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 8:46:11 PM EDT
[#21]
Would you be willing to weigh it in current config w/o mag?  Im comparingto scorpion, which i see you also have, thoughts?
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 11:40:01 PM EDT
[#22]
Might I ask a stupid question without getting flamed?  I never have really looked at the Uzi Pro's mainly because I have an IMI Model A that I'm happy with.  Why on earth did they make them to where they won't use actual Uzi mags?
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 10:30:08 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Might I ask a stupid question without getting flamed?  I never have really looked at the Uzi Pro's mainly because I have an IMI Model A that I'm happy with.  Why on earth did they make them to where they won't use actual Uzi mags?
View Quote
Remember, there's a 30-year span between when the Uzi was made and when the Pro came into existence. The original Uzi, Mini Uzi and Micro Uzi all used the same heal release magwell; when the Pro was introduced in 2012 or so, no one used heal release. It's simple marketing and consumer needs. I have a Mod A SBR that's is just freaking awesome can use my Pro's mags; I have two Pros, one SBR and one pistol set up exactly like OP's except with a Burris FF3 and can say it's pure awesome. It's stout compared to my TP9 or Glock/Roni setup, but I'd trust it with my life.
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 1:44:14 PM EDT
[#24]
I may be too old school (probably am).  With the glut of surplus Uzi mags at $10 each or less I'd have still opted for a heal release over a push button if that was what was required to utilize those mags.  Besides, I already have a ton of them :)

Quoted:

Remember, there's a 30-year span between when the Uzi was made and when the Pro came into existence. The original Uzi, Mini Uzi and Micro Uzi all used the same heal release magwell; when the Pro was introduced in 2012 or so, no one used heal release. It's simple marketing and consumer needs. I have a Mod A SBR that's is just freaking awesome can use my Pro's mags; I have two Pros, one SBR and one pistol set up exactly like OP's except with a Burris FF3 and can say it's pure awesome. It's stout compared to my TP9 or Glock/Roni setup, but I'd trust it with my life.
View Quote
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 10:54:15 PM EDT
[#25]
Thank you for posting, I've had a shockingly hard time finding images online of an Uzi Pro with a folded brace online, your setup looks saweet!

I'm writing a story right now where a minor character uses an Uzi Pro to escape from an attack by a Mexican Cartel hit team and I wanted to see how big a coat someone would have to wear to hide a Pro with a folded brace.
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 11:21:54 AM EDT
[#26]
Sorry if this is sorta OT, but are uzi pro mags commonly in short supply? I've had some on backorder with brownells for 6mo now.
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 8:51:32 PM EDT
[#27]
I do wonder if legacy Uzi mags can be easily modified with the catch hole to work in both. Kinda like what had to be done to make them work in Colt 9mms.
Link Posted: 7/16/2017 7:22:38 PM EDT
[#28]
Sorry I haven't replied back to this thread in awhile. I'll be fixing the image situation as well since Photobucket screwed everybody.

As far as the magazines are concerned, I didn't realize they were an issue. I bought mine brand new from Lanbo's Armory. The 32 round mags were $13 and change, the 25 round mags were $12.50 or so. These were new in wrap IWI magazines.

Also, all IWI did was cut new mag release holes in the standard UZI magazine. The PRO mags have the cutouts to work with the original UZI with the heel release as well.
Link Posted: 7/16/2017 10:28:56 PM EDT
[#29]
Did you have a code to get the mags got $13.xx? They are $15.xx in my shipping cart at lanbo...
Link Posted: 7/16/2017 10:52:44 PM EDT
[#30]
I didn't use a coupon code. I just checked their website and the prices are the same $15.99 and $17.99. When I added them to my cart, the 32 round mags were something like $13.89.
Link Posted: 7/17/2017 12:23:38 AM EDT
[#31]
Yeah, me to, and they are $17.99 "outside the cart" and $15.49 "in the cart". Mil discount? Dealer rate?
Link Posted: 7/17/2017 12:54:38 AM EDT
[#32]
Sorry about the confusion. I just reread my earlier post, and it made it sound like that was the price today.

The 32 rounders were that price when I bought mine. They were $15.49 when I added them to my cart today when I checked after your post.

They went up in price slightly since I bought mine it looks like.
Link Posted: 7/17/2017 11:57:49 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
What does a guy need to do to suppress one of those?  Does anyone make a tri lug barrel?
View Quote
I just had my local smith thread my barrel 1/2x28.  When I am not using my AAC TiRANT suppressor I use a bored out flash hider as a thread protector.  I SBR'd my UZI Pro as I wanted to use a shoulder stock without hassle from arm chair know it all/law enforcement.

Link Posted: 7/27/2017 12:32:31 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Sorry if this is sorta OT, but are uzi pro mags commonly in short supply? I've had some on backorder with brownells for 6mo now.
View Quote
Buy them directly from IWI's web site.  They are always in stock, cost the same price if not less and ship the next day.  I have placed a few orders for the Pro mags and because I live in the same state (Pennsylvania) they are on my doorstep two days later.
Link Posted: 7/27/2017 12:34:44 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I do wonder if legacy Uzi mags can be easily modified with the catch hole to work in both. Kinda like what had to be done to make them work in Colt 9mms.
View Quote
Yes older mags can easily be converted to work with the Pro provided you have a Bridgeport or other good mill to work with.
Link Posted: 7/27/2017 5:41:52 PM EDT
[#36]
My factory brace is a bitch to fold.  I have to put a ton of weight on the hinge to push down the buffer tube enough to pivot it.   I called IWI and they said it is normal and will loosen up over time.

I seriously doubt it as it is very difficult to fold.  Is yours the same way?

I called SB tactical that made the brace and they never get back to me.
Link Posted: 7/27/2017 10:51:08 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
My factory brace is a bitch to fold.  I have to put a ton of weight on the hinge to push down the buffer tube enough to pivot it.   I called IWI and they said it is normal and will loosen up over time.

I seriously doubt it as it is very difficult to fold.  Is yours the same way?

I called SB tactical that made the brace and they never get back to me.
View Quote
Hate to say it, but it won't loosen. You just need to get stronger. Sucks. But seriously, the best way to fold it it to squeeze the mechanism, it requires very little to disengage the locking surface.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top