User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 33
Link Posted: 6/15/2017 12:53:47 PM EDT
[#1]
Count me in for TWO!
Link Posted: 6/15/2017 5:25:39 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm in as well...... Thanks so much for doing this!
Link Posted: 6/15/2017 9:58:07 PM EDT
[#3]
Don't thank me yet, lol.
I just got the rail today.
Thank you to JsARCLIGHT, I owe you one.

Working on touching up the design right now.
I should have the CF prototype in a few days. I don't' have my hopes of for the CF but we'll see.
There's 1 more 3d printed prototype I wanted to try and that's a black polycarbonate. Again I don't really have my hopes up but it should be interesting seeing the strength of this material alongside the CF nylon.
At the moment I'm still thinking aluminium CNC is probably going to be the best option.
Link Posted: 6/15/2017 11:52:43 PM EDT
[#4]
Is there any way someone could get me the size of the two holes on the bottom of the gun?

Ty in advance.
Link Posted: 6/16/2017 8:06:28 AM EDT
[#5]
The holes on my gun may be slightly enlarged due to kitbashing flush rails through them in the past.

Mine measure somewhere around 5/32" or 4mm.

Edit: The thickness of the receiver plastic at the holes is also about the same, 5/23" or 4mm. The holes are uneven though as they are "level" on the inside and slightly sloped back to front on the outside.
Link Posted: 6/16/2017 9:38:06 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The holes on my gun may be slightly enlarged due to kitbashing flush rails through them in the past.

Mine measure somewhere around 5/32" or 4mm.

Edit: The thickness of the receiver plastic at the holes is also about the same, 5/23" or 4mm. The holes are uneven though as they are "level" on the inside and slightly sloped back to front on the outside.
View Quote
Same nominal dimensions on my receiver.
Link Posted: 6/19/2017 9:43:48 PM EDT
[#7]
I got the CF nylon in today. It actually seems a little weaker than the other nylon. Lol. I'll post up some pictures tomorrow.
However I still want to test this material. I'm going to do the same thing as I did with the first proto. Screw it to a board and see if I can break it. I made the cavity much smaller on this design.

Sorry for the shitty pic.

I'm going to try 1 more material before I call it quits on the 3d printing idea. Even if it doesn't work out though, I'll still make a handful of prototypes to send out just to make sure the dimensions are correct. I don't want to max out my CC on a run of 25 aluminum grips that won't even fit, lol.
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 10:30:04 AM EDT
[#8]
Thanks for the update and all your R&D!
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 12:06:35 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Thanks for the update and all your R&D!
View Quote
I agree.  Thank you from me also.
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 2:30:38 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I got the CF nylon in today. It actually seems a little weaker than the other nylon. Lol. I'll post up some pictures tomorrow.
However I still want to test this material. I'm going to do the same thing as I did with the first proto. Screw it to a board and see if I can break it. I made the cavity much smaller on this design.

Sorry for the shitty pic.

http://i65.tinypic.com/2vtr429.jpg

I'm going to try 1 more material before I call it quits on the 3d printing idea. Even if it doesn't work out though, I'll still make a handful of prototypes to send out just to make sure the dimensions are correct. I don't want to max out my CC on a run of 25 aluminum grips that won't even fit, lol.
View Quote
I sent you a pm with my email contact. I have a tp9 and a production machine shop, I think we can get this price point down real low.
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 12:50:24 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I sent you a pm with my email contact. I have a tp9 and a production machine shop, I think we can get this price point down real low.
View Quote
Awesome!!! Just sent you an email.
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 9:29:59 AM EDT
[#12]
Im back stateside for a bit.... if there is anything i can do to assist on this project, lmk!
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 5:08:45 PM EDT
[#13]
Put me down for one.   Ready to send paypal  
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 9:52:47 PM EDT
[#14]
I sent NoScoE30 some prototype files to get a quote last thursday, haven't heard back from him yet. I'm sure he's busy. I'm hoping to have him do the actual production.

The good news is I think I'm ready to send some prototypes around to see if they fit and get some feedback from you guys. I'll have 2-3 prototypes soon, then I'll send them out to whoever is willing.
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 10:35:15 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I sent NoScoE30 some prototype files to get a quote last thursday, haven't heard back from him yet. I'm sure he's busy. I'm hoping to have him do the actual production.

The good news is I think I'm ready to send some prototypes around to see if they fit and get some feedback from you guys. I'll have 2-3 prototypes soon, then I'll send them out to whoever is willing.
View Quote
I've got an sbr tp9 I'd be more than happy to try one out on!
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 1:02:00 PM EDT
[#16]
I have an SBR TP-9 and would also be happy to test.
Link Posted: 6/30/2017 2:05:49 AM EDT
[#17]
Those of you with approved forms for a TP9 sbr what is the OAL and what did you put for manufacturer?

I am going to submit mine as soon as I get that information.

Thanks guys!
Link Posted: 6/30/2017 6:08:13 AM EDT
[#18]
Looking forward to the Grip whenever it's available

Link Posted: 6/30/2017 9:20:35 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Those of you with approved forms for a TP9 sbr what is the OAL and what did you put for manufacturer?

I am going to submit mine as soon as I get that information.

Thanks guys!
View Quote
My listed OAL is 20.6" and my listed manufacturer is Brugger and Thomet, Switzerland.

Edit: But mine is a first gen DSA gun. I believe the new guns being sold directly by B&T are marked differently and they use the new company name of B&T AG. Can someone with one of the newer guns confirm?
Link Posted: 7/1/2017 1:36:00 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

My listed OAL is 20.6" and my listed manufacturer is Brugger and Thomet, Switzerland.

Edit: But mine is a first gen DSA gun. I believe the new guns being sold directly by B&T are marked differently and they use the new company name of B&T AG. Can someone with one of the newer guns confirm?
View Quote
Thanks man
Link Posted: 7/3/2017 7:14:09 PM EDT
[#21]
Alright I got 2 prototypes in.

Attachment Attached File

Please note these are NOT how the grips will be produced. They will be either aluminium(most likely) or an injection molding. I still haven't heard from NoScoE30 yet.
If they are made in Aluminium, I may get them cerakoted. The anodizing quotes I got were a little more pricy than I would have like but if I go with the cerakote I could get a few finished in a FDE.

The 1 on the left is made of a polycarbonate. It's slightly more dimensionally accurate, strong, but the finish is a little rougher.

The 1 on the right is made from a PET, still pretty strong but it's slightly less accurate to my computer model.

I'm sending JsARCLIGHT one, and FADALdude the other.

JsARCLIGHT, I tried to send you a pm but your inbox is full, . The holes are countersunk and sized for #8 screws.  

Please feel free to PM me with any questions.
Link Posted: 7/3/2017 7:47:55 PM EDT
[#22]
As luck or unluck (I was trying to pay off the CC )

I just had a TP9 offered to me for a very reasonable price. Comes with 5 mags and a stock (separately of course).

Anything to look out for? I think it's a B+T, but I asked him to send me a few pictures.
Link Posted: 7/3/2017 9:04:15 PM EDT
[#23]
IM inbound. I'm not sure what my inbox'es deal is, it has been weird at times.
Link Posted: 7/3/2017 9:17:17 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
IM inbound. I'm not sure what my inbox'es deal is, it has been weird at times.
View Quote
Ahh I think I made a mistake. It was FADALdude that had the full inbox.
Link Posted: 7/3/2017 9:20:21 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
As luck or unluck (I was trying to pay off the CC )

I just had a TP9 offered to me for a very reasonable price. Comes with 5 mags and a stock (separately of course).

Anything to look out for? I think it's a B+T, but I asked him to send me a few pictures.
View Quote
I got 1 picture so far I think it's a DSA because it lacks the ambi magazine release.

Any downsides to the DSA guns?

Attachment Attached File

He said he'll give me more photos soon.
Link Posted: 7/3/2017 9:31:25 PM EDT
[#26]
I've had my DSA Gen 1 for almost 10 years now, and nothing on it has broken or worn out. As I understand it they are all more or less identical in the main action and important parts, it is just minor improvements along the line that most people can live without (unless you are left handed that is).

I can't really think of any "look for this" wear items, as mine has thousands of rounds through it and aside from some discoloration on the bolt carrier where it rides on the action rails and the face of the hammer nothing looks particularly worn. The only thing I can think of is ask if there is any egging out of any of the holes in the receiver... pin holes, stock holes, etc. The receiver is reinforced, but that still won't prevent the plastic from deforming with misuse.

Also ask if it has ever been suppressed. The odds are slim, but you want to make sure someone hasn't run an adapter with a low volume pistol can on it as those put undue stress on the fire control parts. But my guess is it is a gen 2 DSA gun with a three lug muzzle that has never seen a can in its life... like 90% of the TP9s on the market.

Edit: After seeing your picture it looks like the lower has been painted. It probably started life as an all black gun then someone painted the lower.

I also could have sworn I've seen a gun that looks almost identical to that one posted on Reddit a long time back.
Link Posted: 7/3/2017 9:40:54 PM EDT
[#27]
OK, this is just me being paranoid (and me making sure my mind isn't slipping gears in my age) but I just did an image search and I found the Reddit gun I was remembering... and sure enough it is a black gen 2 DSA gun with an OD green painted lower receiver, same side accessory rail. Except the Reddit gun is configured as an SBR in several photos... several photos that use a very similar looking plywood background as the one in your photo...

Someone spot check me on this, do a google search for "Reddit B&T TP9" and you will several photos that just could be this gun. You can even see the serial number clear as day in one of the photos (US07 10561).

So once again... call me paranoid... this could be the same gun. And since the sale claims to include a stock would that mean the original owner has removed it from the registry? Or was it ever registered to begin with? Or is this a scam? I dunno... paranoia kicking in.
Link Posted: 7/3/2017 9:50:49 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I've had my DSA Gen 1 for almost 10 years now, and nothing on it has broken or worn out. As I understand it they are all more or less identical in the main action and important parts, it is just minor improvements along the line that most people can live without (unless you are left handed that is).

I can't really think of any "look for this" wear items, as mine has thousands of rounds through it and aside from some discoloration on the bolt carrier where it rides on the action rails and the face of the hammer nothing looks particularly worn. The only thing I can think of is ask if there is any egging out of any of the holes in the receiver... pin holes, stock holes, etc. The receiver is reinforced, but that still won't prevent the plastic from deforming with misuse.

Also ask if it has ever been suppressed. The odds are slim, but you want to make sure someone hasn't run an adapter with a low volume pistol can on it as those put undue stress on the fire control parts. But my guess is it is a gen 2 DSA gun with a three lug muzzle that has never seen a can in its life... like 90% of the TP9s on the market.

Edit: After seeing your picture it looks like the lower has been painted. It probably started life as an all black gun then someone painted the lower.

I also could have sworn I've seen a gun that looks almost identical to that one posted on Reddit a long time back.
View Quote
That's actually where the seller contacted me on. Doing a reverse image search I only found a few threads on reddit.

It's cool, this ain't my first rodeo.
Thanks for looking out though.

I'll ask him if it was painted and about the registry.
I"m pretty sure it's a DSA anyways and in that case I'm probably out.

Damn you guys, see what happens is someone offers me a price. Looking to not waste money I start researching and looking up prices. Then I find stuff like this.
http://www.gunbroker.com/item/661310896
I may just bid on it......
(Gunbroker I know)
Link Posted: 7/4/2017 9:04:06 AM EDT
[#29]
FWIW I can do 3d test prints as well if you need any done. Just got a spool of carbon fiber infused PLA.
Link Posted: 7/4/2017 10:27:17 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
FWIW I can do 3d test prints as well if you need any done. Just got a spool of carbon fiber infused PLA.
View Quote
Sweet! I'm sorry if I missed it but you own a TP9?

If so that would be stellar, it would save me $20-$50 per prototype. Plus if you have a TP9 you could test fit and send photos to me. Saves on shipping. The more I can save means a lower price point in the end.
Link Posted: 7/4/2017 2:18:18 PM EDT
[#31]
If it's not too late I'm in for one of these.
Link Posted: 7/8/2017 4:30:52 PM EDT
[#32]
I got one of the prototypes from HALFNATTYGAINZ today in the mail and took a few photos of it so folks can see the developmental process.

Currently it is not physically attached to my gun and just placed on it for the photos. The design has a few tiny issues to get ironed out, but this prototype is an awesome step forward.
Link Posted: 7/8/2017 5:43:33 PM EDT
[#33]
Sweet! Thanks for the info! I'll be asking for some more details once I get to my computer!
Link Posted: 7/8/2017 7:10:04 PM EDT
[#34]
Looking GOOD!  

ETA:  I think possibly adding some legs on the forward portion that mates with the forward lip of the receiver would help with rigidity.  Like the geometry on the factory forward rail.  

Thanks for all the hard work.

ETA:

Hell, put me in for three.

2nd edit: inbox is clear! I need to renew my membership ASAP.
Link Posted: 7/11/2017 2:21:57 AM EDT
[#35]
I'm definitely in for two of these and will be following this thread with great interest.

That TP9 with the green lower used to be mine. The lower was cerakoted and it was a great shooter. I have a thing for coating my polymer parts to keep them from wearing haha.

HALFNATTYGAINZ, I have a friend in Russia who is an expert in 3D printing. If you are comfortable with it I can have him print high resolution 3 shell protos of your grip and test them and different breaking points. He printed my Death Trooper armor and it is incredible quality and durability.
Link Posted: 7/12/2017 5:08:53 PM EDT
[#36]
Still busy with some projects but I'm working on it.

ETA anodizing is cheap
Link Posted: 7/12/2017 6:00:31 PM EDT
[#37]
Have we considered machining it from Delrin? I remember having some great 74U handguards made from Delrin and GG&G used to make their foregrips from Delrin as well.
Link Posted: 7/12/2017 7:28:40 PM EDT
[#38]
I couldn't quite afford the other B&T's so I started with a P26.  Right now Atlantic has them on sale for $899 which is half or less than the rest of the B&T's.  This one has only been shot suppressed so far, it's accurate and reliable.  The P 26 is threaded and has a tri-lug.  Atlantic also has the brace adapters.  I definitely want more B&T's, they really know what we want and are top notch quality.

Link Posted: 7/12/2017 9:01:12 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
I couldn't quite afford the other B&T's so I started with a P26.  Right now Atlantic has them on sale for $899 which is half or less than the rest of the B&T's.  This one has only been shot suppressed so far, it's accurate and reliable.  The P 26 is threaded and has a tri-lug.  Atlantic also has the brace adapters.  I definitely want more B&T's, they really know what we want and are top notch quality.

http://i262.photobucket.com/albums/ii115/rawheadjim/FullSizeRender%2032_1.jpg
View Quote
How's the pistol tube mount?
Link Posted: 7/12/2017 9:39:06 PM EDT
[#40]
http://www.gunbroker.com/item/664937641

If this wasn't a USPS money order, I'd be all over it.
Link Posted: 7/12/2017 9:39:52 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
http://www.gunbroker.com/item/664937641

If this wasn't a USPS money order, I'd be all over it.
View Quote
Anyways I tweaked the design a little more and sent it over to Top_Secret.
Link Posted: 7/12/2017 10:31:48 PM EDT
[#42]
The Atlantic brace adapter is made to fit into the lower where the folding stock would go, and allows you to insert a mil spec buffer tube.  That doesn't fold as is, but just has two screws to mount it into the lower.  I'm just using a spikes tactical pistol buffer tube with a tail hook, I may add a Hera arms side folding unit.
Link Posted: 7/13/2017 12:55:13 AM EDT
[#43]
I'd be in for a TP9 grip when they're done!
Link Posted: 7/13/2017 2:16:13 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Have we considered machining it from Delrin? I remember having some great 74U handguards made from Delrin and GG&G used to make their foregrips from Delrin as well.
View Quote
Yes I have suggested that too. Hdpe or Delrin could be good.
Link Posted: 7/14/2017 2:50:04 PM EDT
[#45]
Nice, yeah I think polymer would be the way to go, especially so it won't scratch up the frame of the gun.
Link Posted: 7/18/2017 1:09:18 PM EDT
[#46]
How are the tests going?

Looking forward to some good news
Link Posted: 7/18/2017 10:07:31 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
How are the tests going?

Looking forward to some good news
View Quote
I believe we're nearing design completion. I have a good feeling about the next prototype. After that the final step is production. After speaking with a few manufacturers, I would like to explore the option of CNC gf nylon. This may be the best price point for a smaller run. It also means, it's lighter and would be more suiting to the tp9's receiver.
Link Posted: 7/19/2017 7:48:12 PM EDT
[#48]
CNC glass filled nylon sounds perfect. GFN is very strong, and it's what 80% of the MP9 is made out of
Link Posted: 7/23/2017 6:10:46 PM EDT
[#49]
To those suggesting delrin, I've actually never worked with the material before. How strong is a machined part? Stronger that gf nylon? I'd still like to do gf nylon because of the texture but if I can't, it will may just be delrin.
Link Posted: 7/24/2017 2:40:58 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
To those suggesting delrin, I've actually never worked with the material before. How strong is a machined part? Stronger that gf nylon? I'd still like to do gf nylon because of the texture but if I can't, it will may just be delrin.
View Quote
It is a very sturdy polymer, and has been used for gun parts like grips and AK habdguards for a long time. It is also very easy to machine and you can vary the finish/texture based on what bit you use. See here:

CNC Machining Delrin
Page / 33
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top