Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/3/2017 12:56:14 PM EDT
I had a 4.5 inch 9mm ar a while back that I sold. I'm in the process of slow building one with some nice parts bit by bit(gonna form 1 so I have time)

I want to go shorter this time. A real compact pdw/truck gun

The plan is to use an pdw type stock like an mvb arc or so.

The barrel is where I'm stuck. Is going 3" too short? Also because I plan to suppress it (not always) just swapping between hosts. When not supressed I'd probably use a Flashcan or possibly one of those barking spiders.

Anyways back to the barrel. I've tried searching but all I keep finding is "3gun" or "3lug" stuff. Typing 3" 9mm ar doesn't yield much results. Or atleast useful results that is.

Can people who either have a short 9mm ar or have experience with one chime in.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 5/3/2017 3:43:56 PM EDT
[#1]
Look up the ballistic chart for 9mm, I don't have one handy, but they really start to drop shorter than 4" and the drop between 4 to 5/5.5 can be pretty significant

I would PM Rudy to get his thoughts, if anyone has experience with it - it would be him
Link Posted: 5/3/2017 4:09:36 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 5/4/2017 8:09:20 AM EDT
[#3]
I've got two uppers for my 9MM. One is a 3.5" and the other is a 7.5" Both barrels are from QC10. I like them both, but prefer the 7.5. It seems more balanced with my suppressor on it. It's reliable and shoots really smooth with a heavy buffer.

I might get another lower and turn my 3.5" into a pistol.
Link Posted: 5/4/2017 9:33:16 AM EDT
[#4]
5" is a s short as I would go personally.
Link Posted: 5/4/2017 9:37:20 AM EDT
[#5]
I don't really see the appeal of going that short, you can get higher velocities out of a handgun in a much smaller package.
Link Posted: 5/4/2017 12:56:17 PM EDT
[#6]
Yea going 3 isn't going to be easy anyway as there doesn't seem to be anyone who really makes a 3. Only like 1 place I found.
Link Posted: 5/4/2017 4:19:28 PM EDT
[#7]
I'm building a Faxon 4" and wouldn't want shorter than that
Link Posted: 5/4/2017 6:59:39 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'm building a Faxon 4" and wouldn't want shorter than that
View Quote
yeah i think im gonna go 4"  anyway now.
Link Posted: 5/13/2017 12:56:30 PM EDT
[#9]
Just finished a 4 inch upper for my 9mm sbr.

I think it's perfect

I don't think I would go any shorter. I have a 7 inch lancer handguard and my 9k just pokes out the end.
Link Posted: 5/13/2017 3:56:19 PM EDT
[#10]
At that point id just get a glock 19 with a arm brace. No reliability issues.
Link Posted: 5/13/2017 10:37:09 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
At that point id just get a glock 19 with a arm brace. No reliability issues.
View Quote
Not really comparable. AR platform trigger miles ahead of any Glock
Link Posted: 5/14/2017 11:29:15 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Just finished a 4 inch upper for my 9mm sbr.

I think it's perfect

I don't think I would go any shorter. I have a 7 inch lancer handguard and my 9k just pokes out the end.
View Quote
specs on your setup?
pics?
Link Posted: 5/15/2017 12:49:52 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

specs on your setup?
pics?
View Quote
Jp lower bought as pistol, form 1d into sbr. Silent captured spring. glock mags

Upper is a Spartan side charger with lrboh. 4 inch barrel. 7 inch lancer CF handguard. Not my first choice, but was $50

Omega 9k with 1/2x36 fixed barrel adapter. Topped off with a Sig Romeo 3 on high riser.

Runs like a scalded dog
Link Posted: 5/15/2017 11:24:13 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Jp lower bought as pistol, form 1d into sbr. Silent captured spring. glock mags

Upper is a Spartan side charger with lrboh. 4 inch barrel. 7 inch lancer CF handguard. Not my first choice, but was $50

Omega 9k with 1/2x36 fixed barrel adapter. Topped off with a Sig Romeo 3 on high riser.

Runs like a scalded dog
View Quote
which barrel did you get..

i had a matrix side charger previously. but this time i got the NFA side charger with the LRBHO i didnt know the spartan had LRBHO but then again its just a rebadged NFA.

what buffer you running?
Link Posted: 5/16/2017 1:33:08 AM EDT
[#15]
Jp 9mm silent captured spring/buffer
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top