Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/7/2017 12:56:57 PM EDT
I've had this carbine for about 4 years.  It is an early carbine with a 200-range serial number.  

When I first got it, it worked great with any magazine and any ammo, even the steel-case Brown Bear I had on hand.  However. last year I had it out plinking and it was having trouble feeding and fully ejecting, even with good ammo.  I though I had traced the issues to two problems:  gummy old lube slowing down the bolt and looseness between the upper and lower.

I fully disassembled the rifle and cleaned everything.  There was a gummines to everything due to attempted use of Frog Lube previously.  I'm not specifically blaming the lube as in hindsight I know I didn't follow their directions (full strip, apply to hot metal sparingly).  But any lube that fails so badly if instructions aren't followed exactly is a lube I will not use further.

While disassembled, I also noticed that the studs in the upper that hold the lower were a bit unscrewed, so I put them back in snug and reassembled.  Much better fit.

Today was the first test since then and it was 100% successful.  I used 4 mags that I grabbed:  Glock-brand G26 10 round;  Glock-brand G19 15 round;  Magpul 17 round;  the TNW "factory" mag, unmarked Korean 17-round.  I like how the short G26 mag fits and barely hangs out...for range use. I went through 75 rounds of brass case Herters Select and 65 rounds of steel-case Brown Bear.  Not a single feed, extraction or ejection issue!  Was working beautifully!

I think my cheap, old Barska red-dot is trying to die.  Even when "turned up to 11" (literally...the high setting is 11), I could barely see the red dot at 25 yards against the beige target paper with orange bull, even after putting in a fresh battery.  It was also giveing me two distinct groups about 3 inches apart, so something inside may be shifting.  Accuracy was good, though generally making a a single large hole about 2 inches across in each of the two groups.

Toward the end of the session, light was failing and it was easier to see the dot, so I put some rounds down to 100 yards.  Was pretty easy to keep the rounds inside the scoring area of the target (even with the flared dot and assumed internal shift).

Glad my rifle is running well again.  I need a better sight.  And now I'm confident enough to order the conversion parts for 10mm!!  Any and all comments are welcome.

Rob
Link Posted: 4/9/2017 12:20:10 AM EDT
[#1]
Yours is in the "200" range...ha! Mine is made before that.   I had some issues early on with mine. Lucky me living close to Knob Creek I got to speak with the designer from TNW firearms to find out they had made some production changes along the way to improve some issues they were having with the very early production batch. They told me to send mine in and get it updated, which I did. Since that time it has run 100% drama free. Other than a little bit of a less than perfect trigger and the fact the barrel can work loose (easily fixed) I find the rifle to work just great.
Link Posted: 4/9/2017 12:34:26 AM EDT
[#2]
I thought the ASR was a great idea and snapped one up cheap when I found it collecting dust in a local gunshop. The trigger was fucking terrible . I'm not a trigger snob by any means, stock triggers in most of my ARs and all my handguns - M&Ps and Glocks, but the ASR trigger was shit. Disliked it enough to sell it and build a 9mm AR
Link Posted: 4/10/2017 1:52:41 AM EDT
[#3]
Yeah, the trigger is crap.  Squirt-gun-like.  Too bad it wasn't designed with an AR trigger.

Rob
Link Posted: 4/11/2017 2:43:13 AM EDT
[#4]
Trigger is clearly not its strong point. They gave me an upgrade to a two stage trigger and that seems a little better. Yes, I wish it would take AR triggers but it won't. I got this after I sold my two 9mm AR's. I bought mine early on when they were a much lower price so I don't have a lot of money in it.

Its very light and handy. It comes apart without tools and is easy to pack away. Its accurate and reliable. Can't complain about those things. I see a way to make the trigger much better but it would require some machine work and I doubt I will ever get to that. I have adjusted to the factory two-stage and its workable. Better than the trigger on a Sub2k or a Hi-Point, but not as good as an AR trigger. Now, my Just Right Carbine uses an AR trigger and its great. But the JRC is noticeably heavier too. The ASR seems more like a long barrel pistol next to the JRC. Each has its place. The good thing is I bought the JRC AND the ASR for the money I got from just one of my 9mm AR's. I consider it a fair trade off.
Link Posted: 4/12/2017 8:38:18 PM EDT
[#5]
I did two things that improved my trigger. I stoned the bottom of it and it is much smoother. I straightened out the curve as much as I could and it is not hurting my finger as much.

I am thinking about having a friend tig weld some material to the sides to widen it. After that, I think it would be about as good as you can get it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top