Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/30/2017 12:22:57 AM EDT
Toying with the idea of getting one to SBR but not sure which one. I am a SIG fan but the MPX is expensive as hell. It looks like the CZ is half the cost of the SIG. Mags for the CZ look to be about $20 or so while the SIGs are $75.

So besides costs...what are some other pros or cons of each?

Thanks

I tried searching for this but came up with nothing. Was surprised this topic had not been discussed before.  If anybody has a link to another thread, let me know.
Link Posted: 3/30/2017 12:40:46 AM EDT
[#1]
I have an Evo, it's fantasic. Good, and growing, aftermarket support, cheap mags. Runs great with a silencer. To me the MPX was over priced, had crazy expensive mags, and it was just tooo AR-ish. I mean, I'd prolly rather just build a 9mm AR that takes Glock mags and call it good if that's what I was going for. All of that said, that's just my opinion...many others think the MPX is the bee's knees. There have been many comparison threads, but it's prolly easiest to just start reading the big 170+ page evo thread here in the PCC to get info on that gun. I presume the mpx has a similar thread somewhere on the site...
Link Posted: 3/30/2017 12:51:46 AM EDT
[#2]
Sig has more options and better magazines. You pay for both though. I want to say I saw the mpx mags for like 40 bucks a piece in the last two weeks or so. I almost picked up more. The sig will also run ar safeties and many of their triggers. I have a larue trigger in mine. You also can run ar pistol grips and the controls are ar like which is nice to transfer for both.

If sig ever gets off their ass we will have caliber conversions and other nice options.

The CZ is a good gun for the price but you have 922r to deal with which means their kit.

In my case I went with the sig and then went a little crazy on it. Had the barrel cut to 5 inches and had a 3 lug installed over it. Also had it refinished in burnt bronze. This pic shows it with my octane 45 on it, then gun now has its own octane 9.

Link Posted: 3/30/2017 1:05:53 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Sig has more options and better magazines. You pay for both though. I want to say I saw the mpx mags for like 40 bucks a piece in the last two weeks or so. I almost picked up more. The sig will also run ar safeties and many of their triggers. I have a larue trigger in mine. You also can run ar pistol grips and the controls are ar like which is nice to transfer for both.
View Quote
For $40 mags, can you beat on them (repeated drops on cement) a bit and expect them to hold up?
Link Posted: 3/30/2017 1:36:45 AM EDT
[#4]
you don't need to buy a CZ 922 compliance kit to get 922 compliance...there is more than one source of pretty much all the relevant parts.
Link Posted: 3/30/2017 3:40:21 AM EDT
[#5]
Attachment Attached File

Still classified as a pistol.  Able to take with you pretty much anywhere.  Gen 1 mags are 20 bucks a piece at GMW.  They are also Lancer mags.....excellent quality.
Link Posted: 3/30/2017 8:20:57 AM EDT
[#6]
I bought the EVO and quickly sold it to fund the MPX. The EVO felt too plastic in my hands. The MPX is solid. Being a gas system, the MPX shoots the softest between the two.

I paid 1300 OTD for the SIG and SBRd it. Between mags and stamp, I have 1800 in it. The EVO would be about 1100 after you paid for stamp and mags. So you have that to consider.
Link Posted: 3/30/2017 11:39:12 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

If sig ever gets off their ass we will have caliber conversions and other nice options.

The CZ is a good gun for the price but you have 922r to deal with which means their kit.

In my case I went with the sig and then went a little crazy on it. Had the barrel cut to 5 inches and had a 3 lug installed over it. Also had it refinished in burnt bronze. This pic shows it with my octane 45 on it, then gun now has its own octane 9.

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/1024x768q90/924/3aFlAv.jpg
View Quote
That's a good looking MPX. I went with the Scorpion to save money but not sure how much I will save after replacing half the parts
Link Posted: 3/30/2017 12:28:27 PM EDT
[#8]
I have both as SBRs. Shooting both suppressed the MPX is definitely the softer shooting gun. Combine that with an AR aftermarket trigger and it's the gun that I can shoot faster.

The only downside to the MPX is price and I find it to be pickier with factory ammo if you're sensitive to blowback while running a can. It functions just fine with anything, but it will gas me out with certain factory subs. I've found that mine likes the 124gr federal subsonic that just about every other sbr/can combo that I have hates. Price of mags isn't really an issue anymore like it first was.

The CZ has never had a hiccup and I never clean it, even with all shooting being done with a suppressor. It definitely has more "kick" though.
Link Posted: 3/30/2017 1:43:46 PM EDT
[#9]
The MPX is twice the gun.  I have both but the MPX is possibly the best sub gun ever designed. The cost difference isn't so great when you think about all the shit you have to replace on the cz.
Link Posted: 3/30/2017 2:12:02 PM EDT
[#10]
Fyi I got an email from (?) GunMagWarehouse this morning for 3x for $120 for the MPX

I'm bad at saving and enjoy tinkering so the Evo made sense to me
Obviously I've changed a lot.
New suppressor should be approved in May

Link Posted: 3/30/2017 5:29:27 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 3/30/2017 6:26:32 PM EDT
[#12]
i had watched that video when it came out, so it's been a while. I totally forgot that the mpx uses an ar-ish charging handle. uhg. I agree with MAC, it is one of the worst features of the AR design. It's not the feature i dislike the most (I'm looking at you operations-parts-in-the-stock), but it's a solid second place. One more win for the Evo.
Link Posted: 3/30/2017 9:11:15 PM EDT
[#13]
I have both....IMHO..

MPX:  Charging handle sucks; it's gassy depending on ammo and can; barrel is removed/attached with 2 bolts; really soft recoil; takes AR grips; takes AR fire control group like the Franklin Armory BFS....so freakin fun with the BFS:  https://youtu.be/LHSA7NR6PvE

CZ Scorpion:  Cheaper; 3-Lug Adapter looks stupid; harsher recoil; HUSH 165gr works well.

Link Posted: 3/30/2017 11:09:52 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I have both....IMHO..

MPX:  Charging handle sucks; it's gassy depending on ammo and can; barrel is removed/attached with 2 bolts; really soft recoil; takes AR grips; takes AR fire control group like the Franklin Armory BFS....so freakin fun with the BFS:  https://youtu.be/LHSA7NR6PvE

CZ Scorpion:  Cheaper; 3-Lug Adapter looks stupid; harsher recoil; HUSH 165gr works well.

http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j102/richm2004/IMG_7886_DPP.jpg
View Quote
Are you talking about like the manticore 18mm to 3 lug being awkward?
I would agree, had one before chopping my Scorpion to K length. So much added length!

Atta boy to Manticore for making it work but it's just an inferior solution vs chopping or rethreading
Link Posted: 4/1/2017 10:31:33 PM EDT
[#15]
Thanks for the replies so far.

Looks like the price for the SIG can be found for $1300 now which isn't too bad. Mags seem to also be about $45 which is still high but not by SIG standards.

I have also been watching some reviews on YouTube.

Seems the one thing people keep talking about with the SIG is the gas blow back while using a suppressor. This was a big negative for me as compared to the CZ which seems to have very little blow back. Is this true about the CZ have no blow back with suppressors?

The 2nd thing was softness of shooting. Reviews all said SIG was softer shooting than the CZ. Watching videos as people shooting the CZ, it really does not look to be that "hard" of a shooter. How does the CZ compare to say a 9mm AR when it comes to "softness" of shooting?

Gun show coming up in a couple of weeks so hoping to be able to get to play with both of them a little. Seen them both before but really never paid them much attention.
Link Posted: 4/2/2017 12:43:12 AM EDT
[#16]
I can only tell you what I know and that is the CZ has NO gtf. As far as soft shooting, it's a 9mm carbine, I don't really feel it.
Link Posted: 4/2/2017 1:55:47 AM EDT
[#17]
I get zero gas blowback with my scorpion. It is really nice to shoot suppressed. I can do a may dump and still not notice any gas.

My scorpion shoots very softly. I have never shot an MPX, but I would guess the MPX would probably be a little softer. Having said that though, I can get very fast splits with my scorpion when I use it for USPSA. On close targets .15-.18 splits are pretty common.
Link Posted: 4/2/2017 2:28:07 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Looks like the price for the SIG can be found for $1300 now which isn't too bad. Mags seem to also be about $45 which is still high but not by SIG standards.

Seems the one thing people keep talking about with the SIG is the gas blow back while using a suppressor. This was a big negative for me as compared to the CZ which seems to have very little blow back. Is this true about the CZ have no blow back with suppressors?

The 2nd thing was softness of shooting. Reviews all said SIG was softer shooting than the CZ. Watching videos as people shooting the CZ, it really does not look to be that "hard" of a shooter. How does the CZ compare to say a 9mm AR when it comes to "softness" of shooting?

Gun show coming up in a couple of weeks so hoping to be able to get to play with both of them a little. Seen them both before but really never paid them much attention.
View Quote
Right handed it really isn't an issue. Left handed it can be depending on ammo. I found I was getting less blowback with 147gr ammo.

I really wish sig put a shell deflector on it like ar's have. Not so much for the protection from spent cases but for gas. They actually help a fair bit on ar's when shooting as a southpaw with gas.
Link Posted: 4/2/2017 2:46:34 AM EDT
[#19]
My coworkers 15 year old daughter didn't cry when she shot my Scorpion. Ear to ear smile when she asked for another 30 round mag.
Link Posted: 4/2/2017 6:57:12 AM EDT
[#20]
I love my suppressed Scorpion Evo SBR, but damn, it sure wasn't a cheap date for very long. Tax stamp, stock, handguard, trigger, trigger springs, grip, 30rd mags, mag release, 3-lug adapter, silencer, Aimpoint... I still need to address the safety switch and add QD sockets and a sling. A fun shooter and now probably my favorite gun I own, but she sure ended up costing a heck of a lot more than I had anticipated.

Thanks a lot, TATBME.
Link Posted: 4/2/2017 7:36:24 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Fyi I got an email from (?) GunMagWarehouse this morning for 3x for $120 for the MPX
View Quote
They still have a 3 pack of MPX Gen 1 mags in a pouch for $60.

http://gunmagwarehouse.com/sig-mpx-gmw-holiday-kit-triple-mag-pouch-with-3-30-round-magazines.html
Link Posted: 4/2/2017 7:45:50 AM EDT
[#22]
I have both a MPX and an EVO.  

Both are SBRd and I run cans on both.  

Hands down, no doubt, the SIG is the better shooting gun.  Much lighter, smoother and softer shooting.  

Don't get me wrong, I still enjoy shooting the EVO but when shooting both at the same time, I end up shooting the MPX much more.
Link Posted: 4/2/2017 11:08:32 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Right handed it really isn't an issue. Left handed it can be depending on ammo. I found I was getting less blowback with 147gr ammo.

I really wish sig put a shell deflector on it like ar's have. Not so much for the protection from spent cases but for gas. They actually help a fair bit on ar's when shooting as a southpaw with gas.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Also, there is a bunch of gas the seeps out of all the gaps around the charging handle area.  I modded my MPX charging handle with some silicone so that gas doesn't shot up into my right eye...this is with wearing glasses.  Like others have said, gas blowback is dependant on ammo, also suppressor and how much lube you have on the gun.  IMO, the Obsidian in short config has much less blowback than the Omega 9K or TiRant 9s; and 147gr Lawman has much less blowback than AE 147gr.

Here is a video showing AE 147gr blowback.  When I was using the Obsidian, I think the MPX had a bunch of lube...thus more gas:  https://youtu.be/a2en1ar_bVE

Regarding recoil...you really have to shoot both..especially side by side to appreciate the smoothness of the MPX.
Link Posted: 4/2/2017 3:42:16 PM EDT
[#24]
Any of you mpx guys have experience with the cx4? I have a cx4 that I think is a great gun(haven't shot it in awhile) but was thinking of ditching it and my ati m9 for a mpx.
Link Posted: 4/2/2017 4:39:18 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Any of you mpx guys have experience with the cx4? I have a cx4 that I think is a great gun(haven't shot it in awhile) but was thinking of ditching it and my ati m9 for a mpx.
View Quote
I used to have one setup for m9 mags. Honestly it is one of the few guns I regret selling and want to get another at some point. The cx4 was very accurate despite having a shit trigger. I will say the mpx had a crappy trigger as well but since most ar-15 triggers seem to work with it I didn't care.

Here is why I sold my cx4:

Needs a 3 lug mount on the end or a threaded barrel. To remove the barrel you need a special tool and most didn't seem to have it to do the job(I know some will thread the barrel without removing it from the upper. This was a really big deal for me as I wanted to shoot it suppressed.

The trigger sucked. I know someone makes an aftermarket one. If I get this gun again it will have that installed.

Third isn't as important but I do wish it just had a longer top rail and the sights were removable. The sight posts do fold down which is nice. This isn't as big of a deal but I think it would make more people happy.

The gun was a great shooter though. I do kinda want another but with the cost of the gun and some upgrades(trigger group and barrel threading) it is getting expensive.
Link Posted: 4/12/2017 11:10:09 PM EDT
[#26]
I've got an SBR'd MPX.  Love it.

I've read about and seen a bunch of the videos re: excessive blowback when running it suppressed.  Never experienced it myself much and I run mostly suppressed.  Using a Griffin Armament Revolution 9 in the K configuration with a TROS 3 lug adapter.  Probably have 1.5k+ rounds through it.  Seems as though the amount of blowback can be significantly different depending on you suppressor and ammo combination.

One thing I don't see folks talk about on the CZ is the fact that it is blowback operated.  I've personally witnessed 3 different EVO's fire out of battery.  Also saw a Lone Wolf 9mm carbine fire OOB.  Granted, I think they were all using reloads but still seems to be a potential issue.  Chances of that happening in an MPX are virtually zilch givens that it's got a locking bolt.  I roll my own 147gr reloads and have never had an issue.

Granted I don't have a Evo but have zero regrets about my MPX purchase.
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 11:20:20 PM EDT
[#27]
Had them both, in the end I went with the MPX. The EVO is nice but I did not like the way the sights are setup since I run my light at 12 o'clock. At the time there was not much in the way of making it shorter, the MPX on the other hand was much easier and has the sight setup I prefer.

And it looks so good all dolled up, here is mine:

Link Posted: 4/19/2017 12:16:17 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Had them both, in the end I went with the MPX. The EVO is nice but I did not like the way the sights are setup since I run my light at 12 o'clock. At the time there was not much in the way of making it shorter, the MPX on the other hand was much easier and has the sight setup I prefer.

And it looks so good all dolled up, here is mine:

http://i.imgur.com/Q06i8LA.jpg
View Quote
First off nice to see another one in burnt bronze, the color does it well. Second yours makes me glad I left my top rail black as I think it is a nice difference.

What did you end up cutting the barrel to on yours?
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 10:12:16 PM EDT
[#29]
Ended up cutting it down to 4.5" and the matching rail chopped. I wanted to get the factory rail but glad I chopped the full size one instead. With the factory rail you do not have the scalloped cutout to make use of the last keymod slot at the forward most position. With the chopped down rail that little bit of cutout allows the keymod locking lugs something to grab onto as you can see on the QD mount.
Link Posted: 4/22/2017 2:32:32 AM EDT
[#30]
So went to the gun show today. Found examples of both. One dealer had them next to each other. Over all feel, I think I liked the SIG. I also handed a model I thought was a SBR when I first picked it up but turned out to be pistol with a SIG brace on it. I never had looked at those braces up close. Darn those things look a lot like a stock at first. I also handled a 16" MPX with the telescoping stock. The length of pull with the telescoping stock felt very short. It did not seem right. The LOP with the brace felt really good. I really like the telescoping stock look but not sure I can deal with how short the LOP felt.

Also, cheapest prices I have seen are on Gunbroker. Local prices I have seen at LGS and the gun show were $1500 ish up to $2000 ish.
Link Posted: 4/22/2017 1:19:24 PM EDT
[#31]
The 3-lug adapters on 2nd gen CZ's look just fine.

I wish Sig would have gotten their act together and sorted out their design in the first place, rather than rushing the 1st gen out the door.

The only time I would not recommend getting a CZ is if you don't like tinkering or don't want to pay for more parts, and don't find it acceptable out of the box.   And that does describe a lot of people.
Link Posted: 5/5/2017 3:48:12 PM EDT
[#32]
If you have the means I highly suggest shooting them both. I rented both at a range and gave them a go. I was leaning towards the Sig prior to my experiment for various reasons. Mainly the reduced recoil and the fact that the CZ felt cheap even to me.

But then I shot them and at 25 yards (I was shooting indoors) I couldn't miss with the CZ. I don't know what it was but it was as if it was possessed by magic I just kept hitting the center of the target. It took me more effort to do so with the Sig.

A year later I love my CZ. It's rarely cleaned and it just runs. It's surprisingly accurate at 100 yards too.
Link Posted: 5/13/2017 1:37:15 AM EDT
[#33]
I appreciate the design of the Scorpion more, it's impressive with its over built bolt assy, no gas in my face when shooting with Silencer, totally reliable so far, and no finish to worry about . I did upgrade my trigger, it was way to stiff for my needs.
I'm an owner of full auto MP5SD and it takes a lot to impress me, the CZ is a simplistic and amazing design, it's pretty much the Glock of the pistol carbines for me.

Link Posted: 5/13/2017 8:54:44 PM EDT
[#34]
The scorpion is a cheaper simpler blowback design. The mpx cost more magazines cost more but has attributes very similar to the ar15 like the trigger parts. I want an mpx just to put a binary in it. I have a scorpion and love it though.
Link Posted: 5/13/2017 9:31:55 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
For $40 mags, can you beat on them (repeated drops on cement) a bit and expect them to hold up?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
They are made by lancer, so yeah.
Link Posted: 5/13/2017 9:40:12 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 6/4/2017 1:33:25 AM EDT
[#37]
Gotta love having options. I went SIG, my buddies went CZ. Check out the video for our full review

https://youtu.be/rebMA5c0s0w
Link Posted: 6/12/2017 2:00:43 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Gotta love having options. I went SIG, my buddies went CZ. Check out the video for our full review

https://youtu.be/rebMA5c0s0w
View Quote
great looking country you guys are shooting in.

ill have to watch it later, I really want one of these 9mm's

tonight i just  skimmed thru it.

why is the guy with the Glamas shirt drinking all that water.  it seemed like every tim i skiped forward he was drinking water.

then i skipped to 44:43 and we get a camera in a guys crotch. bahahaha!
Link Posted: 6/12/2017 6:56:07 AM EDT
[#39]
Glad you are enjoying our good natured fun. One of our videos has a "full auto" erection. I'll let you find that gem on your own.

Also he said he kept drinking water because he ran out of beer.
Link Posted: 6/17/2017 12:22:40 AM EDT
[#40]
Why cany i find the SIG MPX for sale on line except for gun broker?
Link Posted: 6/17/2017 12:16:53 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Why cany i find the SIG MPX for sale on line except for gun broker?
View Quote
C2 Tactical in Tempe,AZ had one yesterday. I have NEVER paid their asking price. They always knock a little off. They really do their best to help a guys out.
Link Posted: 6/18/2017 3:21:50 AM EDT
[#42]
Fired an mp5 clone for the first time today. If you're looking to spend mpx-type money, I'd seriously consider a zenith/mke hk clone, it certainly lived up to all my expectations.
Link Posted: 6/18/2017 10:48:34 AM EDT
[#43]
Did some posts get deleted from this thread?  Maybe I'm thinking of another one.

Anyway, there was a post or two regarding a vendor who offers 'first responder' prices on the MPX?

Any ideas where they were?
Link Posted: 6/18/2017 11:18:15 AM EDT
[#44]
Got an Evo Carbine couple weeks ago.  None of the controls are gtg out if the box. Charging handle too small, and I mean way too small. Right side safety and mag release were designed by the Marquis de Sade, but I still like the gun better than the MPX. Aftermarket has already caught up with some good reasonable replacements.  Mags are way cheap and CZ apparently has a no questions asked policy on replacing broken mags (polymer feed lips) and aftermarket mags avail with metal lips.  The folding factory stock is very well made.  
Link Posted: 7/4/2017 10:34:33 AM EDT
[#45]
Just had a go with a few cool SIG MPXs, integrally suppressed and full auto!!

SIG MPX machinegun
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top