Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/21/2017 10:09:12 AM EDT
Thinking about buying a Manticore Forend for my EVO. Just how hard is it to remove the barrel nut?
This will be the only modifacation, with the exception of the charging handle, and safety switch, stock, pistol grip and maybe a muzzle device and possibly trigger parts.

But the bolt will remain unchanged

Black pistol disease... Blah
Link Posted: 3/21/2017 10:41:08 AM EDT
[#1]
Mine was pretty darn easy
Link Posted: 3/21/2017 10:42:14 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote
I only watched one video and the guy pretty much destroyed his barrel nut.
Link Posted: 3/21/2017 12:04:38 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

I only watched one video and the guy pretty much destroyed his barrel nut.
View Quote
Must have doubled the locktite on his and put none on mine
Link Posted: 3/21/2017 1:47:38 PM EDT
[#4]
Easy with the propper tool, a PITA with normal open wrench..

I did damaged mine trying to remove it without the adapter.

ETA:
Heating the barrel will help.. Leave a soldering iron inside the barrel for 5-10 minutes and you wont Damage the polymer handguard
Link Posted: 3/21/2017 3:53:17 PM EDT
[#5]
Worked fine for me with just a so 21mm open end wrench. Could also use a thin jaw crescent like bahco. You need a heat gun or simple propane hand torch like you would use to solder plumbing pipe and your good to go.

Drilled a hole in a round baking pan to use as a heat shield for plastic factory HG "heavy aluminum foil might work" and hit it real quick all the way around with propane hand torch and came right off. Use propane NOT oxy or mapp gas!

Mine was smothered in red loctite but once you get it to actual 400 degrees it comes off like loctite blue
Link Posted: 3/21/2017 6:31:52 PM EDT
[#6]
I used a 20mm crowsfoot and a 3/8 long ratchet in a padded vice and it came off with a bit of force.  My barrel nut was full of thread locker (did not use any heat) and I didn't damage it should I need to use it in the future.  Not a big deal on mine.
Link Posted: 3/21/2017 6:32:46 PM EDT
[#7]
I'll add a caveat that I did have the HBI tool
Link Posted: 3/21/2017 6:56:16 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote
Mine was incredibly difficult 

From the varying reports some assemblers were more generous with the thread locker than others. 

Now there are products like the upper clamp and barrel nut tool that should make even the most stubborn nut a lot easier to get off. 
Link Posted: 3/21/2017 8:10:28 PM EDT
[#9]
Put heat on it and a cows foot wrench and had no problem or damage to hand guard or nut.
Link Posted: 3/21/2017 11:49:42 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Thinking about buying a Manticore Forend for my EVO. Just how hard is it to remove the barrel nut?
This will be the only modifacation, with the exception of the charging handle, and safety switch, stock, pistol grip and maybe a muzzle device and possibly trigger parts.

But the bolt will remain unchanged

Black pistol disease... Blah
View Quote
Get on this waiting list to borrow the barrel nut wrench. I just used this tool to remove my barrel nut, very easy, no heating needed and no damage to the nut.
http://www.czfirearms.us/index.php?topic=84949.45
Link Posted: 3/21/2017 11:59:25 PM EDT
[#11]
Mine had loc-tite. Took the good advice to buy a cheap heat gun from Harbor Freight. Made it easy.
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 12:24:58 AM EDT
[#12]
they all have loctite, you just need a 21 or 20mm? pretty sure it was 21 but anyhoo as preeviously suggest you will need heat to get it off. Mine has so much loctite I was brushing off chunks of it with a bronze wire brush once the nut was off.
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 1:41:31 AM EDT
[#13]
Do two or three mag dumps, that will heat it up enough to remove the nut.
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 2:01:01 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
they all have loctite, you just need a 21 or 20mm? pretty sure it was 21 but anyhoo as preeviously suggest you will need heat to get it off. Mine has so much loctite I was brushing off chunks of it with a bronze wire brush once the nut was off.
View Quote
It was a 20mm to remove the pistol handguard, and a 21mm to install the carbine handguard.
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 6:10:16 AM EDT
[#15]
^^^^^^^^what he said
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top