Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/18/2017 5:39:10 PM EDT
My desired Scorpion Evo will have a pistol length barrel, carbine hand guard, and a Zhukov stock on a Side Projects Link adapter.

Would if be more cost effective to get the carbine, cut and thread the barrel after I get my paperwork back and try to live with the factory stock or to get a pistol and the add the hand guard and my desired stock?

I can get a pistol for around $800-850, plus $189 or $219 for the Link and Zhukov depending on the color, plus $100 for the hand guard, but I don't have the tool for the barrel nut so I'd have to send it off to have it installed by Copper Custom or someone similar.

Or I can pay roughly $950-1000 for the carbine and send it to Adco to be cut and threaded. I'd still want to add the Zhukov but I may learn I like the factory enough to save the money and just keep it.

Which would you do?

ETA: So I ended up going with the carbine version:
Link Posted: 3/18/2017 9:32:29 PM EDT
[#1]
Actually I just bought my pistol for $650. I would go with the pistol.
Link Posted: 3/18/2017 10:01:18 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Actually I just bought my pistol for $650. I would go with the pistol.
View Quote
Somewhere online or just a screamin llocal deal? For that price I'd order one right now!
Link Posted: 3/19/2017 12:49:43 AM EDT
[#3]
Got mine from Pametto State Armory. Just keep your eye open for a sale

Prepper gunshop has them for $719.
Link Posted: 3/19/2017 1:19:18 AM EDT
[#4]
Carbine. It's already 922r compliant. Selling the factory stock will be a cake walk.
Link Posted: 3/19/2017 8:19:09 AM EDT
[#5]
I went the carbine route... Found one new/unfired on EE for $900 shipped to my FFL.

Always seems easier/cheaper to me to have as much of it in the configuration you want  and it's 922 compliant to start.  I've put together a few kits over the years.  And you can sell whatever is left over to make up any parts purchases if you don't like it.

I also watched videos on teardown... seems pretty easy to get the barrel out, so there would be options with the factory barrel and chosen suppressor combination (make the barrel longer or shorter than the standard pistol, just swap the barrel with one that's already cut, etc.).
Link Posted: 3/19/2017 8:41:48 AM EDT
[#6]
Go with the pistol, people ask this question literally almost daily throughout various forums and the main concensus is Pistol. No need to remove the handguard or pay someone $100+ to cut and refit the barrel. The only advantage the carbine has is the factory stock and being able to legally shoulder it from the start, atleast in public.

Pistols can be had online as little as $650 shipped check  

iammo.com
Deguns.net
Palmetto

They were all around $650 shipped a week ago
Link Posted: 3/19/2017 10:04:42 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I went the carbine route... Found one new/unfired on EE for $900 shipped to my FFL.

Always seems easier/cheaper to me to have as much of it in the configuration you want  and it's 922 compliant to start.  I've put together a few kits over the years.  And you can sell whatever is left over to make up any parts purchases if you don't like it.

I also watched videos on teardown... seems pretty easy to get the barrel out, so there would be options with the factory barrel and chosen suppressor combination (make the barrel longer or shorter than the standard pistol, just swap the barrel with one that's already cut, etc.).
View Quote
DEGuns had a faux carbine for $899 shipped after their "ship30" coupon, so I went ahead with that. Can't wait to get it! It'll give me time to decide if I like the stock and grip or if I want to go with a yeti and Zhukov.

Definitely need the Gear Head Works reverse safety to get back in stock. Just from handling the ones at the LGS I could tell the factory ambi sucks hard.
Link Posted: 3/19/2017 10:51:48 AM EDT
[#8]
I went carbine also from grabagun for 895+7.99 shipping. Its going to be a long time before I can afford to sbr and suppress so not a big deal to me
Link Posted: 3/19/2017 12:11:15 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I went carbine also from grabagun for 895+7.99 shipping. Its going to be a long time before I can afford to sbr and suppress so not a big deal to me
View Quote
I just sent in my paperwork for a Rugged Obsidian 45 through Silencer Shop and need to sell a thing or three I'm not using to pay for this, the aforementioned can, and the paperwork on my MKE Z5RS. So yea, I agree. Will be a while before everything is in hand.
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 1:53:13 AM EDT
[#10]
if you're getting into the scorpion game thinking it'll stay simple and stock, poor bastard lol. it's one of those guns.... you love it as is then something new comes out and gee I gotta have that ... Look how big the AR aftermarket market has become
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 11:02:21 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
if you're getting into the scorpion game thinking it'll stay simple and stock, poor bastard lol. it's one of those guns.... you love it as is then something new comes out and gee I gotta have that ... Look how big the AR aftermarket market has become
View Quote
I kind of what a scoripion, but has such as bad experience shooting the first one.  Get rid of the safety, get a smooth rail, and I'm sure its a fine gun.  I'm just not sure I'm ready to thrown down that kind of money to buy one to try out.
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 11:11:56 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I kind of what a scoripion, but has such as bad experience shooting the first one.  Get rid of the safety, get a smooth rail, and I'm sure its a fine gun.  I'm just not sure I'm ready to thrown down that kind of money to buy one to try out.
View Quote
$650? That's the price of a beater AR. Aim Surplus has replacement forearms in stock.
Link Posted: 3/21/2017 9:41:53 PM EDT
[#13]
For a pistol length barrel why cut the stock one. I bought a OEM pistol barrel.
Link Posted: 3/21/2017 9:56:38 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
For a pistol length barrel why cut the stock one. I bought a OEM pistol barrel.
View Quote
If I could find one with a factory tri-lug and 1/2-28 threading like my Z5RS has I would probably go that route.

How hard is replacing the barrel?
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 11:08:49 AM EDT
[#15]
Why is this even a question?

Just press a button and add a stock to the pistol.

Too easy.
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 12:53:44 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

If I could find one with a factory tri-lug and 1/2-28 threading like my Z5RS has I would probably go that route.

View Quote
I went the carbine route with CZ pistol barrel installed. The pistol barrels come threaded 1/2x28 with a trunnion from CZ, here. I got my carbine for $850.00 plus another $150.00 for the barrel.

Replacing the barrel requires the upper to be disassembled and the 22mm barrel nut to be removed. You need a special 22mm socket to remove the barrel nut, but if you have the right tools it takes about 10 minutes to swap barrels.
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 8:06:26 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I went the carbine route with CZ pistol barrel installed. The pistol barrels come threaded 1/2x28 with a trunnion from CZ, here. I got my carbine for $850.00 plus another $150.00 for the barrel.

Replacing the barrel requires the upper to be disassembled and the 22mm barrel nut to be removed. You need a special 22mm socket to remove the barrel nut, but if you have the right tools it takes about 10 minutes to swap barrels.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This
Link Posted: 3/31/2017 10:09:38 AM EDT
[#18]
This should solve your problem. New scorpion pistol. . Also the flash can and carbine handguard are US made so that's even less stuff needed for 922r.
Link Posted: 3/31/2017 2:19:22 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
This should solve your problem. New scorpion pistol. . Also the flash can and carbine handguard are US made so that's even less stuff needed for 922r.
View Quote
You're right, that would've been pretty nice.  Un/fortunately, I picked this up a couple of weeks ago.  Just need to fill out the paperwork and get the money to send off to have it cut eventually:

Link Posted: 3/31/2017 4:16:45 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
You're right, that would've been pretty nice.  Un/fortunately, I picked this up a couple of weeks ago.  Just need to fill out the paperwork and get the money to send off to have it cut eventually:

http://i.imgur.com/6IMdFfj.jpg
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://i.imgur.com/6IMdFfj.jpg
I see. Good luck! I just got the new pistol last night so I'll be filling a form 1 soon too.
Link Posted: 3/31/2017 5:57:12 PM EDT
[#21]
was poking around the otherday and had seen a company making a drop in barrel with a 3 lug and threaded.
in lead we trust, i think was the name. its spendy but might be what you were looking for.

i went with the new model with the flash can, didnt know about this barrel, or if it would be worth getting a new one anyway.

good luck
Link Posted: 4/1/2017 6:08:18 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote
It's as hard as operating some sockets and socket wrenches, and some allen wrenches.  So not very, unless you get one where they dipped it in lock tite.
Link Posted: 4/1/2017 3:58:39 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
was poking around the otherday and had seen a company making a drop in barrel with a 3 lug and threaded.
in lead we trust, i think was the name. its spendy but might be what you were looking for.

i went with the new model with the flash can, didnt know about this barrel, or if it would be worth getting a new one anyway.

good luck
View Quote
SCORPION EVO "DROP-IN" CUSTOM BARREL ASSEMBLY: 3-LUG & 1/2-28

Link Posted: 4/1/2017 5:10:04 PM EDT
[#24]
Fuck fluting and shave $10 off the price
Would this count as a 922r part?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top