Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/18/2017 12:48:27 PM EDT
Keltec sub 2 k Thinking about getting one in 9mm  any known issues with them?
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 1:35:29 PM EDT
[#1]
Finding one @ an affordable price.  Drove to Odessa for the last one.
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 10:18:06 PM EDT
[#2]
The castle nut loosened up on mine.  Other than that, no issues.
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 11:46:06 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The castle nut loosened up on mine.  Other than that, no issues.
View Quote

Common problem. It really isn't threaded in the truest sense of the word. The two halves of the grip assembly come together and that nut just sort of screws itself over them so you don't want it too tight or you will just shear away the plastic it is screwed to. That nut sort of makes its own threads as it goes on. I just unscrewed mine and put a piece of electrical tape around the plastic where it goes. Screwed it back together by hand and never had another issue.

No big concerns with the Sub. The factory sights are well less than perfect. The trigger pull is heavy to say the least but it seems to smooth out with use and there is a reasonably priced kit to really help it out.

Shoot it and enjoy it.
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 12:47:32 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:  Shoot it and enjoy it.
View Quote

Fold it up & carry it in a small bag wherever there's a no pistol sign.  
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 9:40:00 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Common problem. It really isn't threaded in the truest sense of the word. The two halves of the grip assembly come together and that nut just sort of screws itself over them so you don't want it too tight or you will just shear away the plastic it is screwed to. That nut sort of makes its own threads as it goes on. I just unscrewed mine and put a piece of electrical tape around the plastic where it goes. Screwed it back together by hand and never had another issue.

No big concerns with the Sub. The factory sights are well less than perfect. The trigger pull is heavy to say the least but it seems to smooth out with use and there is a reasonably priced kit to really help it out.

Shoot it and enjoy it.
View Quote

Same exact way I fixed mine too.  It's one of my favorites to take to the range!
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 6:04:32 PM EDT
[#6]
Here's my 2 cents input for what it's worth...  Some of the first Gen 2's had a problem with the front sight not being keyed and twisting.  See Nutnfancy's you tube video.  Looks like Keltec paid attention to his complaint and corrected the problem.  I purchased the .40 S&W Glock version Gen 2 back in October and it had to newer front sight.  Can find no problems with mine, yet.
Link Posted: 3/5/2017 4:27:23 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Here's my 2 cents input for what it's worth...  Some of the first Gen 2's had a problem with the front sight not being keyed and twisting.  See Nutnfancy's you tube video.  Looks like Keltec paid attention to his complaint and corrected the problem.  I purchased the .40 S&W Glock version Gen 2 back in October and it had to newer front sight.  Can find no problems with mine, yet.
View Quote

Am thinking of getting one too. How do we tell the new and old front sight apart?
Link Posted: 3/6/2017 11:10:34 AM EDT
[#8]
Here's what the old sight looks like.  It has a set screw.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/6/2017 11:13:03 AM EDT
[#9]
And the new:

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/13/2017 6:02:47 PM EDT
[#10]
I just picked up one as well
Link Posted: 5/15/2017 6:21:17 PM EDT
[#11]
I picked up a 9mm Glock model a little while back. The castle nut did come loose on it, other than that, it is a reliable little carbine. Around 600 rounds through it to date, not a single bobble. The sights sit almost too low, I really have to cram my cheek down on it to get a good sight picture. I put a Burris Fastfire III on an offset mount with a 1/2" riser and tilt it to use, and that works really well.
I just ordered the Mcarbo trigger job package, supposed to lower the pull to around 5lbs. I'll update once I get it and install it.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 11:02:27 PM EDT
[#12]
I got lucky and picked up a 9mm G17 version for a really good price.  I wanted it for the purpose for which I think it was designed "shoot some, carrry convienently a lot".  Nothing else that I know of fills the niche it does.  

IMO whether you will like it just depends on how useful that niche is to you. If you want to buy a 9mm AR or Evo that you can fold up on a rare occasion you'll probably be disappointed.

I do not think negatively of the Kel Tec brand at all, so what I'm about to say is not influenced by a negative brand bias in any way:

The gun to me feels a bit cheap and crude.  

I don't particularly enjoy shooting it.

I think manipulating the various operations of the gun are fairly awkward.

Those things said, several different shooters have shot mine and have (total) ran about 100-200 of various rounds through it using mags from multiple manufactures with zero hiccups.   Everybody was able to ring a 8x10 plate at 100 yards in short order. It will fold up and fit into the laptop section of a smallish backpack. I can put it and +200 rounds in loaded mags in a small laptop bag that wouldn't draw an ounce of attention if I threw it on top of the table at Starbucks.

I'm crazy about mine.
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 11:06:25 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I picked up a 9mm Glock model a little while back. The castle nut did come loose on it, other than that, it is a reliable little carbine. Around 600 rounds through it to date, not a single bobble. The sights sit almost too low, I really have to cram my cheek down on it to get a good sight picture. I put a Burris Fastfire III on an offset mount with a 1/2" riser and tilt it to use, and that works really well.
I just ordered the Mcarbo trigger job package, supposed to lower the pull to around 5lbs. I'll update once I get it and install it.
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/77917/18491429-1503946686343567-5072952557784255302-o-209109.JPG
View Quote
Please do report your thoughts on the trigger job. Also I'd like more info on your optic/mount. Feel free to PM if you think it would be too much of a thread derail.
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 11:47:30 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Please do report your thoughts on the trigger job. Also I'd like more info on your optic/mount. Feel free to PM if you think it would be too much of a thread derail.
View Quote
Got the Mcarbo parts and did the trigger job, replaced the plastic trigger and trigger guard with aluminumm. The trigger pull still has take up and over travel, but is considerably lighter, about 5 pounds as a guess.

The Burris Fastfire III is mounted with a Magpul Mlok offset light/optics mount with a Burris 3 slot 1/2" picatinny riser. I did have to grind a good bit on side of the riser closest to the top to make enough room to still fold it up. The mount mars up the plastic some, but is solid enough to use until someone comes out with an aluminum forearm.
Link Posted: 5/20/2017 11:18:59 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Got the Mcarbo parts and did the trigger job, replaced the plastic trigger and trigger guard with aluminumm. The trigger pull still has take up and over travel, but is considerably lighter, about 5 pounds as a guess.

The Burris Fastfire III is mounted with a Magpul Mlok offset light/optics mount with a Burris 3 slot 1/2" picatinny riser. I did have to grind a good bit on side of the riser closest to the top to make enough room to still fold it up. The mount mars up the plastic some, but is solid enough to use until someone comes out with an aluminum forearm.
View Quote
Thanks for the info.

Regarding the aluminum forearm, have you seen this?

https://www.redlionprecision.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=R11
Link Posted: 5/20/2017 11:33:04 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Thanks for the info.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks for the info.

No, I had not seen that. Thanks! I'll take a closer look at that when I get time. Might just be the next step.
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 9:53:19 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Thanks for the info.

View Quote
That is interesting
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 10:26:20 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

That is interesting
View Quote
I just purchased the glock 17 grip kel tec.  I have put about 100 rounds through it.  The good.  Its pretty accurate I was getting 3 inch groups at 50 yards for 10 shots.  NO malfunctions at all.  The bad you really have to get down on the stock to see the sights and mine were way off from the factory.  Like 8 inches low and 8 inches to the left at 50 yards.  In fact I don't have much adjustment left but they are now on so I guess all is ok.
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 12:56:42 AM EDT
[#19]
Bump. Anyone else care to share their experience with the Sub2k Gen II?

Now that they can be had for around $400 (give or take), I am definitely thinking about picking one up.
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 12:08:37 PM EDT
[#20]
If you find one for $400, BUY it.
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 2:31:52 PM EDT
[#21]
Get one, just like a 10/22 it is easily modified to how you want it. My preferred flavor is .40 S&W 165 gr. Ranger for social discourse and 180 gr at 925 ft/sec for hard hitting suppressed fun.
BP-1
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 3:55:52 AM EDT
[#22]
Gen 2 with jam nut and thread protector has had no issues in the few months I've owned. Had to adjust front sight 3 clicks to the right and dead on and hitting 2" dots at 50 yrs. Paid $449 for my FDE but the solid blacks were selling for $419. Pretty pleased
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 9:46:59 AM EDT
[#23]
My wife just bought a blue gen 2 one. Haven't shot yet (came in last night). I'll post her impression after she shoots it.
Link Posted: 7/1/2017 4:27:02 AM EDT
[#24]
I like mine. I purchased it a couple of months ago, G17 model. It is not the most comfortable or fun thing to shoot, to be honest (although that's compounded by being a leftie, actually made a kydex deflector for it).

How much it will appeal to you depends on what you intend to use it for.  Nothing else really does what it does.  A PCC in a small laptop bag with 250 rounds total?  Pretty neat.  

Despite it not being the most favorite thing to shoot, me and 2 other people were able to easily put hits on an 8" plate offhand at 100 yards straight out of the box.  No adjustments or malfunctions, and with a variety of glock, magpul, and ets mags.
Link Posted: 7/2/2017 8:25:24 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I like mine. I purchased it a couple of months ago, G17 model. It is not the most comfortable or fun thing to shoot, to be honest (although that's compounded by being a leftie, actually made a kydex deflector for it).

How much it will appeal to you depends on what you intend to use it for.  Nothing else really does what it does.  A PCC in a small laptop bag with 250 rounds total?  Pretty neat.  

Despite it not being the most favorite thing to shoot, me and 2 other people were able to easily put hits on an 8" plate offhand at 100 yards straight out of the box.  No adjustments or malfunctions, and with a variety of glock, magpul, and ets mags.
View Quote
I picked my G17 Sub2k gen 2 last fall. It is an adequate option but has some downsides driven by the nature of manufacturing.

Terrible plastic trigger.
Big heavy blowback bolt an eight of an inch from your cheekbone... I never understood why people wanted cushioning pads until I shot it. I got a stock tube which improves the cooooold tube in winter.
My biggest frustration is my magazine catch is difficult to seat with a variety of ETS magazines and even with an occasional Glock OEM magazine.

All that said, ARnTN said it - not the most fun to shoot but an awesome form factor. I also very much appreciate the standard MLOK foreend - nicely executed. That is where the Sub 2k excels - simplest solution possible in most cases.
Link Posted: 7/3/2017 8:10:06 PM EDT
[#27]
I've had a revised gen II (9mm Beretta) for a while, no issues.
Accuracy isn't great, my Storm 9mm puts it to shame.
It doesn't like aluminum cased Federal or Independence, jams every other round, everything else runs fine.
Trigger is terrible, may be part of the reason my groups aren't great. But my Storm trigger is stock and nothing to brag about.
When I use irons I have to jam the buffer tube into my cheek which isn't comfortable. So I use a reflex sight on a high mount QD mount so I can fold it. I just wrapped my buffer tube in moleskin.
It's VERY small & light and fits just about anywhere when folded.

Think I paid $450 for mine, and I'd do it again. Yea it feels flimsy, but it works. Reminds me of a modern polymer version of a Sterling carbine.

I may replace some trigger parts but it's gotten better with use, and for me it's not a precision platform, it's a carbine version of a mouse gun.
Link Posted: 7/4/2017 11:32:38 AM EDT
[#28]
Found a sub2k Glock model yesterday from PSA for $417 shipped as part of a 4th of July sale. Will cost me $442 OTD after transfer. You could only find them through the link in the email. Going to their site and looking it up in the search box still showed OOS. Tricky bastards! Lol. Can't wait to give it some range time
Link Posted: 7/4/2017 11:37:29 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

I picked my G17 Sub2k gen 2 last fall. It is an adequate option but has some downsides driven by the nature of manufacturing.

Terrible plastic trigger.
Big heavy blowback bolt an eight of an inch from your cheekbone... I never understood why people wanted cushioning pads until I shot it. I got a stock tube which improves the cooooold tube in winter.
My biggest frustration is my magazine catch is difficult to seat with a variety of ETS magazines and even with an occasional Glock OEM magazine.

All that said, ARnTN said it - not the most fun to shoot but an awesome form factor. I also very much appreciate the standard MLOK foreend - nicely executed. That is where the Sub 2k excels - simplest solution possible in most cases.
View Quote
I was about to pick up 5 of the ETS 31 round mags but your post stopped me from doing so. I think I'll just stick with the Glock mags for it. Have four 33 rounders and three 17 rounders for it already but want a few more of the large cap ones. Anybody know of a sale on the large cap Glock mags similar to what Midway just recently had?
Link Posted: 7/4/2017 6:38:05 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Found a sub2k Glock model yesterday from PSA for $417 shipped as part of a 4th of July sale. Will cost me $442 OTD after transfer. You could only find them through the link in the email. Going to their site and looking it up in the search box still showed OOS. Tricky bastards! Lol. Can't wait to give it some range time
View Quote
Yep, snagged one, too (after 2 previous failed attempts!)

I noticed Palmetto said firearms shipments probably won't go out for 10 business days, so I figure we're close to 3 weeks from actually getting them.

I actually might consider carrying this little carbine as an alternative to a pistol. Put it in a light pack and it'd be a helluva lot more effective than my .380 LCP.
Link Posted: 7/5/2017 12:46:40 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:  Yep, snagged one, too (after 2 previous failed attempts!)

I noticed Palmetto said firearms shipments probably won't go out for 10 business days, so I figure we're close to 3 weeks from actually getting them.

I actually might consider carrying this little carbine as an alternative to a pistol. Put it in a light pack and it'd be a helluva lot more effective than my .380 LCP.
View Quote
It makes a pretty handy secondary in one of the little fag bag single strap backpacks.  Just be careful @ WalMarts that carry beer - not legal to carry a rifle inside - pistols only, thanks Baptists.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top