Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/16/2017 4:03:54 AM EDT
I'm in the market for a pistol caliber carbine to use in uspsa and for general fun. I have looked at a bunch of different options and I really like the Colt a lot. I have a Cz EVO pistol and have thought about the carbine, but I may try something different. Also the sig mpx is interesting but it's a lot more expensive for not much gain (although a non blowback mechanism is pretty cool). Mp5's are too expensive, otherwise I'd probably go that route. The Colt is only about $900 so it's not too much more than comparable 9mm Ar's. With an ar type rifle, I can use a lot of stuff I already have for ar's like triggers, etc.

What can anyone with a 6951 tell me about them?
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 8:29:29 PM EDT
[#1]
I really like that Colt uses a light weight barrel.

I don't have a factory rifle, but I have a Colt 9mm SBR upper that I like.  Some time back I had a 16 inch colt 9mm upper and I replaced it with a RRA 10.5 inch.  The RRA barrel with its heavier profile was heavier than the old 16 inch Colt upper.
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 9:37:07 PM EDT
[#2]
I had one that was pre-ban. It ran flawlessly with factory msgs. Some aftermarket mags were finicky. The only issue I had was hen I first got it, the barrel needed to be torqued to the correct specs. I bought mine used; so I don't k,ow if the previous owner did any maintenance on it.

It was accurate, cheap to feed, and recoiled a lot more than you would think a 9mn carbine would recoil. If you already have an AR in 5.56, then the 9mm is a no brainer.
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 10:18:01 PM EDT
[#3]
Yeah the lightweight barrel really attracted me to the Colt. It seems like it would balance a ton better than a thick 16" 9mm barrel. I have plenty of 5.56 ar's. I've always kinda wanted a 9mm ar
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 11:37:03 AM EDT
[#4]
I am constantly debating whether to pick up a 6951 just for the lower.

I run a Colt SMG upper on an SBR'd standard lower with a VM-Hytech block- it runs 100% and I like the versatility.

Not sure if the BHO function is worth taking a hit to move the 16" upper, $200 and 7 months to SBR the lower, and probably breaking a bolt catch every now and then.

If you're just going to run it and you don't have other PCCs or 9mm SBRs, then that makes more sense.

Really, I'd love to just run into one of these Glock-crazed guys selling their Colt lower for cheap to buy a QC10...
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 8:13:45 PM EDT
[#5]
I have two and SBR'd them both. I had ADCO cut the barrels down. They have both been very reliable. Trigger on one was really nice, other is meh but it is getting better now that I have a few thousand rounds through it. I shoot them both suppressed and unsuppressed.

There is a bit more recoil pulse than one might expect but you can play around with a heavier buffer and/or spring if that bothers you. After the first mag or so I don't really notice it.

Note that you can't use some aftermarket AR triggers like some Geissele.

They are great for newer and older shooters who might be put off with all the flash and bang of 5.56. My Dad is 70 and will take my 6951 over a 5.56 at the range every time. They are also great for shooting at inside ranges.

Here's one of mine:

Link Posted: 2/18/2017 6:43:39 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I am constantly debating whether to pick up a 6951 just for the lower.
View Quote

https://www.armsunlimited.com/Colt-9mm-Carbine-Lower-Receiver-Assembly-p/lr9mm.htm

It's out of stock, so might mean they're never going to get it in, but they do list it, so maybe call 'em?

On the other hand, there ARE factory Colt SBR 9mm's too. Then you would only need to transfer, not register (even if it's the same tax and same time and...)

Which of course would then give you another upper, resulting in another search for another lower. :)
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 1:01:24 PM EDT
[#7]
Which of course would then give you another upper, resulting in another search for another lower. :)
View Quote

This actually just happened this week on a 5.56 upper. The more parts you have on the shelf, the faster the number of rifles will multiply- especially if you stock stripped receivers.

Even if it was in stock though, and even if tax stamps were instantaneous, I just don't know it would be worth $400 Lower + $200 Tax Stamp + $200 some Colt pattern mags to be like... Yay! BHO!
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 6:18:52 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

This actually just happened this week on a 5.56 upper. The more parts you have on the shelf, the faster the number of rifles will multiply- especially if you stock stripped receivers.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Heh, I've got the jig for 80% lowers, so had to pause before I went too far with gun variations. :)

Even if it was in stock though, and even if tax stamps were instantaneous, I just don't know it would be worth $400 Lower + $200 Tax Stamp + $200 some Colt pattern mags to be like... Yay! BHO!

See, for me, the BHO is very important. I've had a G3 before and won't bother with another HK, I've had AK's and just don't like it. Same with 10-22's, though I've never tried that one kit that might work. (For AK's, I even had a Saiga with manual BHO and mags that held the bolt open!)

So yeah, an MP5 would be cool, but without a BHO, I'd get pissed with it soon enough.
Link Posted: 3/9/2017 2:47:41 PM EDT
[#9]
Been 100% pleased with mine.
Link Posted: 3/10/2017 8:48:38 PM EDT
[#10]
Very happy with mine as well.  Where ate they $900?  I might need another.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top