Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/4/2017 4:34:20 PM EDT
UPDATE:

I am looking for recommendations for gunsmiths that might want to take on my "Uzi" as a repair/rebuild project.

Your help is appreciated.

I picked up an Uzi carbine a while back. I've started having failures to feed. It seems more common from the right side of the mag. The round gets pushed straight forward but doesn't funnel to the chamber.

Any advice or links are much appreciated.
Link Posted: 2/4/2017 4:52:16 PM EDT
[#1]
How many different magazines is this happening with?  

Check the catch areas on the mags and see if they are consistent. If they are OK see if the pin and spring for the mag catch is loose, weak or broken.

Also look for burrs or peened metal on the feed area
Link Posted: 2/5/2017 6:35:59 AM EDT
[#2]
I know two people with semi uzi's and both have had mag issues with them not feeding from one side. Sounds somewhat common.
Link Posted: 2/5/2017 6:50:44 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 2/5/2017 6:23:34 PM EDT
[#4]
It's not an Uzi. It's a norinco clone/chi-com knock-off. The issues begin there...
Link Posted: 2/5/2017 10:24:31 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
It's not an Uzi. It's a norinco clone/chi-com knock-off. The issues begin there...
View Quote

Thanks for the help.

I removed the extractor. That didn't change anything. I'll order some new mags to try.
Link Posted: 2/6/2017 9:15:44 PM EDT
[#6]
How many magazines do you have?  Can you post a picture of your bolt face?  Is your ejector loose?  Is the gap in your top cover correct?
Link Posted: 2/7/2017 2:21:01 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
How many magazines do you have?  Can you post a picture of your bolt face?  Is your ejector loose?  Is the gap in your top cover correct?
View Quote

I checked the top cover tonight. It is too tight to the bolt. I need to find a bending guide.

I'm going to order a new pair of mags. The rifle came with two.

The ejector seems okay.
Link Posted: 2/7/2017 8:25:05 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I checked the top cover tonight. It is too tight to the bolt. I need to find a bending guide.

The ejector seems okay.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The ejector seems okay.

Bending the top cover is easier than you think. I did this with my vector.

First, get a spare semi top cover. Not that expensive and if everything goes well you now have a spare. I assume you already have the check gauges.

Now you need three pieces of wood and a rubber mallet. Two to put the cover on, and then one piece about as wide as the cover between the edges of the upside down top cover (this prevents you from bending the edges or creating other dents).

Put the cover upside down with the wood on the bits that attach to the gun. Put the other piece in the top cover and hit it firmly but don't go nuts. Hit a few times and recheck the gap. Use a small enough piece that you can adjust the front, middle, and back of the cover independently if required.

Took me about 20 minutes for each cover. My vector went from FTEs every other shot to running great.
Link Posted: 2/7/2017 1:07:25 PM EDT
[#9]
If you're having the same issue with multiple (good) magazines, more than likely your issue is due to the mag sitting too low.

Every time I've seen an Uzi experience feed problems from 1 side of the mag, it has been due to that......
Link Posted: 2/7/2017 2:51:52 PM EDT
[#10]
Kinda off topic, but what are Norinco going for these days?
Link Posted: 2/7/2017 4:27:58 PM EDT
[#11]
How loose is the lower?
Link Posted: 2/9/2017 1:46:20 PM EDT
[#12]
Isn't this a common issue with the Norincos? I looked at getting one a while back and held off because I read they were notorious for feeding issues.

Hope you can get it sorted out, OP.
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 11:14:21 PM EDT
[#13]
I got a surplus IMI mag and a brand new IWI mag. I also bent the top cover into spec. That is really easy. The narrow end of a 2x4 fits perfectly into the cover between the edges.

I'm still having the problem. But, I think I see why. The left side of the feed ramp seems shaped better for funneling rounds toward the chamber than the right side.

I'll do some looking and measuring. I may need something to help duplicate the proper shape.
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 3:40:47 PM EDT
[#14]
Here In Michigan they run $850 NIB on a regular basis and are a hard sell at that price.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 12:18:15 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Isn't this a common issue with the Norincos? I looked at getting one a while back and held off because I read they were notorious for feeding issues.

View Quote

My Norinco is just as reliable as my Model B SBR.

I'd take a Norinco at 850 any day of the week over a Vector or Century basket case.
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 8:41:01 AM EDT
[#16]
I've had several small issues with mine over the years, I recently bought a converted semi lower for $40 and swapped out the parts to the new lower. Only issue I had was they did
not drill the mounting hole to 9mm, had to order a bit on Ebay.
Link Posted: 2/23/2017 1:57:28 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

I'd take a Norinco at 850 any day of the week over a Vector or Century basket case.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

As long as the receivers are true, there's no such thing as a basket case Uzi.  They can all be made whole.  
Link Posted: 2/26/2017 1:40:01 AM EDT
[#18]
Update:  my feed ramp has been adjusted to funnel rounds, from the lower mag position on the right, into the chamber better.

New problem:  Slam fires
Link Posted: 2/28/2017 8:28:36 AM EDT
[#19]
Check the blocking latch (little piece lower back bottom of bolt), it's either missing, broken or the spring that gives it tension is missing.
Link Posted: 2/28/2017 7:14:18 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Check the blocking latch (little piece lower back bottom of bolt), it's either missing, broken or the spring that gives it tension is missing.
View Quote

It's there. Maybe the spring isn't providing enough push to keep it in place.
Link Posted: 2/28/2017 7:56:57 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote

Working or not, the firing pin/striker safety won't cause slam-fires.......only prevents out of battery firing.

If the striker is following your bolt into battery, and the mating surfaces on your sear/striker are good, there is a pretty good chance excessive top cover gap is allowing the bolt/striker to ride over the top of the sear....
Link Posted: 3/1/2017 1:32:28 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Working or not, the firing pin/striker safety won't cause slam-fires.......only prevents out of battery firing.

If the striker is following your bolt into battery, and the mating surfaces on your sear/striker are good, there is a pretty good chance excessive top cover gap is allowing the bolt/striker to ride over the top of the sear....
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah.

http://www.uzitalk.com/reference/pages/article_uzimaintenance.htm

Remember, your gap should be between .005 and .015.
Link Posted: 4/4/2017 10:13:50 PM EDT
[#23]
Update in OP.
Link Posted: 4/5/2017 4:19:55 PM EDT
[#24]
BWE, but i've always heard there's a wait.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top