Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/25/2017 5:49:06 PM EDT
I am real close to picking up a PCC and have pretty much narrowed it down to these two. I was dead set on the EVO but the storm is significantly cheaper ($300) and will probably do everything I need/want. Only downside is that the barrel isn't threaded and I will probably get a can eventually.

I also considered a evo pistol + SBR but that's even more money and a looooong wait.
Link Posted: 1/25/2017 5:59:33 PM EDT
[#1]
No experience with the Evo, but I really dislike the ergonomics of the CX4.  My own experience, but I find tactical reloads suck due to the magazine well, the safety is a pain to engage/disengage, and the mainspring guide is plastic.  It is a smooth shooter & accurate, though.
Link Posted: 1/25/2017 6:05:33 PM EDT
[#2]
Decisions, decisions......I have a CX4. It has been a great rifle. I don't think it would be too hard to get the barrel threaded.
Link Posted: 1/25/2017 6:13:19 PM EDT
[#3]
WHere are you seeing $300 CX4's?  Used they are in the $650 range here and sell fast.
Link Posted: 1/25/2017 6:27:09 PM EDT
[#4]
Where are you finding a storm for $399?

A scorpion is $699.

I loved my storm but the CZ is a completely different gun.
Link Posted: 1/25/2017 6:27:55 PM EDT
[#5]
$300 less than the evo is what I meant.
Link Posted: 1/25/2017 6:29:49 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
$300 less than the evo is what I meant.
View Quote

Aww, dammit, I had the credit card out already.
Link Posted: 1/25/2017 6:31:35 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Where are you finding a storm for $399?

A scorpion is $699.

I loved my storm but the CZ is a completely different gun.
View Quote

Evo carbine is over $900
Link Posted: 1/25/2017 6:32:14 PM EDT
[#8]
CZ is a better rifle in pretty much every aspect.
Link Posted: 1/25/2017 6:41:08 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote
Elaborate?

Link Posted: 1/25/2017 6:51:47 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote

It's a plastic 9mm carbine with a proprietary 20 rd magazine that costs half as much again as the  CX4 plastic carbine.  At least with the cheaper CX4 you get a choice in magazines and there is aftermarket support.

But wait!  The Evo comes with a fake suppressor!
Link Posted: 1/25/2017 7:02:12 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

It's a plastic 9mm carbine with a proprietary 20 rd magazine that costs half as much again as the  CX4 plastic carbine.  At least with the cheaper CX4 you get a choice in magazines and there is aftermarket support.

View Quote

There are 3 manufacturers of magazines for the scorpion, CZ which sells 30 round, preppergunshop/manticore which sells 32 round, and ETS who hasn't released theirs yet.

There is also an enormous amount of aftermarket support.

I like the CX4, I should have kept the used one I found for $450 awhile back.

The CZ carbine is on sale for $848 on impact guns Link

The CX4 is about $600 at the cheapest, aftermarket magazines are 2-3 times more expensive than the CZ.

Link Posted: 1/25/2017 8:40:20 PM EDT
[#12]
I had s CX4.  Good rifle, shot well.  Sold it to buy something else, because the reloads for the CX4 were just a little off--the mag well was deeper than the surrounding palace, and I had to modify how I inserted the magazine.  

Have an EVO.  Easier aftermarket, a little better ergonomics, cheaper magazines, better sights, easier manual of operations.

I still think of picking up another CX4. 
Link Posted: 1/25/2017 8:52:07 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote

So we can start with trigger options, optic mounting options, then we can move on to ergonomics that are much better with the Evo and then talk about looks. The cx4 looks like an late term abortion of some retarded NY/CA legal AR. We can find the 20-30 round mags all over the place for cheap now too. But hey if you love abortions of some bastard child of NY/CA then the cx4 is the rifle for you...... I will give you plenty of time to show me where the CX4 aftermarket is much better than the CZ.....The CZ has barely been out for a whole year and the aftermarket absolutely blows the CX aftermarket that has been around for 10 years or more COMPLETELY out of the water. I have owned both and one remains in my safe. While the CX4 was cool in 2004 it is no longer even close to a competitor in 2017 and yes you can get a faux suppressor for a factory configured carbine if that is what trips your trigger. You will not find that ignorant option on the CX4 ever..... In my mind more options are better even if I think those options are dumb as crap.
Link Posted: 1/25/2017 9:37:14 PM EDT
[#14]
We have CX4's that have been pushed well passed 10k rounds without failure in parts or function.
Link Posted: 1/25/2017 11:24:57 PM EDT
[#15]
No comment

Link Posted: 1/26/2017 12:33:21 AM EDT
[#16]
I love my SBR'd evo, and I have no doubt that all told it's the better choice by a mile in most every way. But I really want a CX4 too, and they're priced reasonable. Plus they share 92 mags, which gives me an excuse to buy an M9A3.
Link Posted: 1/26/2017 12:52:30 AM EDT
[#17]
I do not own the EVO, get that out of the way first thing. I do have lots of other PCC's however, including one of the first CX-4's I got very early on. Its still with me and I doubt I can ever wear it out.
That said, I really like CZ's as they are a great value but the EVO was just a bit too much money for me at this time. I could not justify its cost as for me, there was nothing it really did better. Yes, it looks cool! There is some aftermarket support for it, more so than the CX-4. It does have "the look" if that is important to you.

From a practical stand point they both do the same thing, go bang and put rounds down range. The CX-4's excellent chrome lined barrel is accurate and long lasting. The CX-4 and the EVO are both used by various military and law enforcement agencies. Even Russia, with many domestically available firearms, uses the Beretta CX-4 for some of their law enforcement units.  So, from the number out there and the user base and field experience one can easily say that they are both very serviceable firearms, even for "professional" use. Either will do the job for most. They have a different character, a different look. If one style is more important to you then by all means pick that one. As far as operations is concerned, the CX-4 is just fine for those of us who use them. The safety is not difficult to work, the bolt latch is super easy, the trigger is not the best, nor worse, and it can be greatly improved with a little DIY trigger job in five minutes or so with no special tools.

The barrel of the CX-4 can be threaded. You do need a special tool to take off the barrel nut down inside the upper receiver. Luckily you can easily find instructions on-line on how to simply fabricate one from a piece of steel pipe in a few minutes with a Dremel or a file.

One last thought. How important is "After market support"?  Some would say if the aftermarket is big maybe its because the firearm was not designed right from the beginning and the aftermarket had to come to the rescue. The other side is that the aftermarket is strong because there is a big user base and the fan boys like to make their copy unique or personalized. I will let others argue that. Personally I think the CX-4 and the EVO are both great firearms and I would trust either. They are different and the buyer has to decide which features mean more to him. RIght now the Tacticool crowd favorite of the week is the EVO. Its a good piece without a doubt. But then so is the Beretta CX-4. Can't go wrong with either.

BTW:  I love it when people say "the CX-4 has a plastic guide rod". Really? What is the big deal? Yes, some people have broken them. But, most of use have gone years on the original guide rod because we don't abuse the parts when we clean or service the weapon. I have seen people break steel rods so what do I say about that? My CX-4 is well over ten years old and the parts are 100% original, top to bottom.  I have never been able to break anything on it.
Link Posted: 1/26/2017 2:03:08 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

There are 3 manufacturers of magazines for the scorpion, CZ which sells 30 round, preppergunshop/manticore which sells 32 round, and ETS who hasn't released theirs yet.
View Quote

Just FYI, ETS is not interested in Making EVO mags
Link Posted: 1/26/2017 3:22:18 AM EDT
[#19]
I just went with the Sub2000 gen2 because it comes with a threaded barrel and it takes Glock mags that I already have a lot of, including 33 rd sticks. Plus it folds and is cheaper than the others you listed. It is minimalist so not as cool looking, but that is my favorite thing about it.
Link Posted: 1/26/2017 2:06:14 PM EDT
[#20]
I've had a 9mm Storm CX4 carbine that takes 92 mags for about 5 years now.
Also picked up a Sub2k (9mm 92 mag version) early last year then late last year picked up a 9mm Evo Scorpion pistol and added a brace.

The Storm and the Evo are both comparable in quality, both use a lot of plastics but seem to be durable & reliable. Above average accuracy as well for a PCC.
The Evo with an 8" barrel is surprisingly accurate, I personally would like to see a shootout between the two but a 9mm carbine isn't for sub MOA accuracy either.

Out of the box, I think the Scorpion trigger is a little better. BUT the Storm hammer sear can be filed down by just separating the upper & lower, so in 15 minutes with a file you can vastly improve the trigger. Anything beyond that will probably require sending it in to PapaSierra for work and last I heard he's taking a break for health reasons. The Evo can be a simple trigger upgrade with some springs unless you have a welded trigger pack like mine, then it's time to break out the tools and not screw anything up.

I think the biggest difference is the magwell placement. I like the grip magwell as it's a much shorter overall package (like the Sub2K) but competitive shooters usually prefer the mag up front. The Storm mags do drop free, unlike the Evo. The storm LOP is only adjustable by adding spacers. No spacers is about equivalent to first position on an M4, up to two spacers which is about 2" more. Evo carbine has an adjustable and folding stock.

Evo is easier to suppress and/or SBR, a Storm can be threaded but it's not easy, that's a slim profile barrel. Evo pistol is surprisingly quiet with 147 gr subs. I think the Evo iron sights are better than Storm, larger and closer to an AR. Storm's irons do fold down flat for an open view. You can also replace the Evo irons with any AR sights, although they will sit a little higher.

Factory Evo 20 & 30 mags are $15 to $20, with the 32 round reinforced Manticore mags just coming out for $30.
Storm has multiple mag options depending on caliber, in 9mm type 92 there's 15, 17, 18 7 20 round flush mags for $15 to $35. 30 round mags list for $40. All are made by Mecgar which are IMHO the best made mags. I've also seen cheap surplus 15 round M9 mags at gun shows for under ten bucks.  

The Sub2K is a really neat, light, compact folding rifle, but the ergonomics aren't as good and the fact it's a folder makes rail mounted optics more complicated. Irons are just OK. Mine's not as accurate as my Storm or Evo. Factory trigger is REALLY crunchy on mine, normally I don't do trigger work but this thing needs it if it's gonna stay. It's a great 25 yard gun and it's crazy compact & flat, can be carried in almost anything.

if you want a Storm I'd start looking now, they seem to come in waves and right now it sounds like they're out there, and looks like the .40 & .45 versions are still available. That may make it harder to find one at a good price.  Evo carbines in my area are easier to find, still too close to list price but the pistols are already dropping in price so the carbines will soon follow.
Link Posted: 1/27/2017 1:39:20 AM EDT
[#21]
That was a great reply and I like the fact you own both. While I have a "few" PCC's I don't have an EVO....yet....  I live not far from KYGUNCO and they have a great inventory and fair prices. Maybe when the availability goes up and the price comes down a bit I will pick one of the EVO's up. I love CZ and trust their products but I also love my $$$ and it doesn't grow on trees in this part of the country. Besides, how many PCC's can a guy have? I know....just one more..right?

EVO or Storm? Love them both, each for its own reason.
Link Posted: 2/2/2017 11:55:09 AM EDT
[#22]
I've had my CX4 about three years. Maybe more. I had seen them around for a long time, but I never gave them much thought till my granddaughter challenged me at a Steel Challenge match. She was shooting an AR with a .22 kit and PCC had just started. I knew where one was for sale and after I left the match I went and bought it.

I've been shooting it in matches ever since. The only malfunctions I've ever had were surplus GI contract mag related. I cleaned it the first time the day before the match last weekend. It was coated with all kinds of crud that had to be scraped out with an old dental pick. It showed very little wear inside.

Another plus for the Beretta is that Brownells sells a decent selection of parts for it.
Link Posted: 2/2/2017 2:11:40 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I am real close to picking up a PCC and have pretty much narrowed it down to these two. I was dead set on the EVO but the storm is significantly cheaper ($300) and will probably do everything I need/want. Only downside is that the barrel isn't threaded and I will probably get a can eventually.

I also considered a evo pistol + SBR but that's even more money and a looooong wait.
View Quote

I had a storm.  it was a tough, reliable gun.. no complaints about it at all... it was awesome. that said.

IMHO the scorpion is a HELL of a lot better. the two main areas that are most important to myself are as follows.

1. scorpion uses 30 rd mags..... vs 15 round for storm. ( yes, you can get 20 and 30 rd mags, I don't like long mags extending from a grip like the storm, to me its awkward, and I hate it )

if you don't mind the mags... then there is reason # 2.

2. scorpion is about 1/2 as big... so, easier to carry, conceil, etc. ( cant make a storm small, unless you chop some barrel and its STILL bigger ). to me the super small size alone kicks the storm out.

those are the 2 main reasons, and they are DAMN good reasons... storm cant compete in those areas, and nothing you can do to fix those 2 things.. period. and to me those are very big things.
Link Posted: 2/2/2017 2:13:31 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
WHere are you seeing $300 CX4's?  Used they are in the $650 range here and sell fast.
View Quote

also this... the last time I saw a storm for sale it was around $750-$800 bucks... that was new from factory... if they were 1/2 as much $ then yes, they would be a better deal for many people.  those highpoint rifles are about 1/2 as much... and supposed to be good guns. but you are stuck with a 8 round mag IIRC... deal breaker for me.
Link Posted: 2/2/2017 2:15:54 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote

scorpion IMHO will have 10x the after market than the storm does in short order...  you really cant really compare the two guns , again, IMHO.

maybe carbine scorpion against a storm....but even then scorpion wins due to a folding stock.
Link Posted: 2/2/2017 2:20:23 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 2/2/2017 8:36:22 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

I had a storm.  it was a tough, reliable gun.. no complaints about it at all... it was awesome. that said.

IMHO the scorpion is a HELL of a lot better. the two main areas that are most important to myself are as follows.

1. scorpion uses 30 rd mags..... vs 15 round for storm. ( yes, you can get 20 and 30 rd mags, I don't like long mags extending from a grip like the storm, to me its awkward, and I hate it )

if you don't mind the mags... then there is reason # 2.

2. scorpion is about 1/2 as big... so, easier to carry, conceil, etc. ( cant make a storm small, unless you chop some barrel and its STILL bigger ). to me the super small size alone kicks the storm out.

those are the 2 main reasons, and they are DAMN good reasons... storm cant compete in those areas, and nothing you can do to fix those 2 things.. period. and to me those are very big things.
View Quote

Everyone has their own opinions about what is important.  Being small and easy to conceal is important to you, but maybe not so much to everyone. The CX-4 is a small carbine being very light. If size matters and I really want to conceal I just take my Beretta PX-4 (pistol)  with 20 rounds or one of my CZ-75's or P-07. Now that is small and easy to conceal.

Some people get really stuck on what is important to them personally and forget we all have different tastes and priorities. My favorite PCC at the range is my JRC due to its weight and size which makes it a very smooth shooter. That does not make it my favorite overall piece nor the best PCC in the world. It does make it my best solution to that particular situation however.

The Evo is a nice piece but there are many other great firearms out there. To each their own.....but one size does not fit all.
Link Posted: 2/4/2017 8:02:28 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View Quote

The Beretta CX4 is ~29 inches OAL with a 16 inch barrel.

The Scorpion *carbine* is ~34 inches OAL with an extended stock. It is just a large handgun without an extended stock.

For comparison, the MP5 is ~27 inches OAL with stock extended. For comparison, the barrel of the Scorpion carbine will need to be cut 5 inches (or more) to be shorter than the Beretta CX4.

29 inches is pretty short. So is 34. So is 27... Comparatively... The truth... the Beretta CX4 is shorter than a non-stamp Scorpion carbine...
Link Posted: 2/5/2017 1:14:17 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

The Beretta CX4 is ~29 inches OAL with a 16 inch barrel.

The Scorpion *carbine* is ~34 inches OAL with an extended stock. It is just a large handgun without an extended stock.

For comparison, the MP5 is ~27 inches OAL with stock extended. For comparison, the barrel of the Scorpion carbine will need to be cut 5 inches (or more) to be shorter than the Beretta CX4.

29 inches is pretty short. So is 34. So is 27... Comparatively... The truth... the Beretta CX4 is shorter than a non-stamp Scorpion carbine...
View Quote

Obviouslt not apples to apples but this can be like 17" unsuppressed

Link Posted: 2/5/2017 10:59:33 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Obviouslt not apples to apples but this can be like 17" unsuppressed
View Quote

With the stock extended, 17" OAL? That is pretty short.

Not apples to apples... But you have a pretty short and very-handy SBR.

The only way to make the Evo Carbine shorter than the CX4 carbine is to SBR the Evo Carbine...

27 OAL for the MP5 is pretty short. 29 OAL for the CX4 is pretty short... Comparatively. A non-stamp M4 with a pinned FH is ~34". The poster I was responding to was saying that the Evo Carbine is shorter than the CX4. Not without a stamp, it isn't. It is longer. Five inches longer with the stock extended.

You have a fine looking SBR. The Evo is a highly-praised weapon from a fine manufacturer.

But you have to SBR it to make it shorter than the CX4 with the stock extended.
Link Posted: 2/5/2017 8:42:26 PM EDT
[#31]
17" collapsed, bare muzzle
Link Posted: 2/6/2017 9:29:57 PM EDT
[#32]
$746 at Grabagun right now.  You can put one on layaway for 90 days...
Link Posted: 2/6/2017 11:46:02 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Decisions, decisions......I have a CX4. It has been a great rifle. I don't think it would be too hard to get the barrel threaded.
View Quote

You need a special tool to get the barrel off for threading, so not everyone can do it.  Gemtec did mine, but that was a few years ago.
Link Posted: 2/7/2017 12:29:48 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

You need a special tool to get the barrel off for threading, so not everyone can do it.  Gemtec did mine, but that was a few years ago.
View Quote

That so called special tool can be made out of deep impact socket (cheap at Harbor Freight) and $5 worth of steel pipe from Home Depot and a Dremel tool or grinder in ten or fifteen minutes.

Learn more here:  
DIY Beretta CX-4 barrel removing tool
Link Posted: 2/7/2017 10:05:38 AM EDT
[#35]
Much simpler to suppress and/or SBR the Evo. The only benefit of the CX4 I can think of is magazine compatibility if you already own a PX4 or 92FS.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top