Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/17/2017 9:54:46 AM EDT
I'm liking the looks of the Wilson AR9. I can buy a 14.7" fluted barrel version right now. I like that it takes Glock mags. It's Wilson, so I expect quality to be excellent.

I like the MPX gas system as it's unique to PCC's. But I don't trust Sigs support of it and don't expect them to stay around very long.

The Wilson cost a couple hundred bucks more but I'd save that in mags. Which one?
Link Posted: 1/17/2017 10:03:42 AM EDT
[#1]
Ehy would you expect the MPX to not be around longer?
Link Posted: 1/17/2017 10:08:20 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Look at their history. They continuously release guns, make parts hard to get, and then drop them.

They've already dropped he caliber conversions for the MPX, which raises eyebrows with Sig's history.

Plus I've been hearing rumors from a couple guys that work in the industry that the Sig wants to drop it. Just rumors, I've seen other people around the internet talking about it too.
Link Posted: 1/17/2017 10:31:18 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
View Quote

It's a valid concern.

Sig has had shit support for a good number of it's "tactical" rifles in recent years.   The 55X line comes to mind.    They have more or less been floundering around, throwing one design out after another as the "next best thing", and then giving up on them after a short period.

I like Sig.   I really want an MPX.  But between the cost, and the concern about long term support, I've get reservations.    It's a hell of a neat firearm though.   More interesting than a blowback operated AR conversion.
Link Posted: 1/17/2017 10:35:53 AM EDT
[#4]
Don't know anything about the AR9, but a WC gun that takes Glock hicaps has my interest.
Link Posted: 1/17/2017 11:07:23 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Don't know anything about the AR9, but a WC gun that takes Glock hicaps has my interest.
View Quote

There's a couple reviews on YouTube. It's a typical AR style PCC but with Wilson's quality I imagine.
Link Posted: 1/22/2017 6:24:16 PM EDT
[#6]
I went to "the" guy in the industry for Sig.  they are not dropping the MPX, nor are they dropping caliber conversions.    Their factory is running at 100% just to make the base models.   They can't start making any caliber conversions until supply demand ratio is in the correct position.   Using common sense, I estimate less than 20% of owners are interested in caliber conversions, which makes producing them vs. producing a whole rifle, that there is actual demand for, not beneficial quite yet.
Link Posted: 1/22/2017 7:14:30 PM EDT
[#7]
Sig is selling a whole lot more MPXes than Wilson is selling AR9s.
Link Posted: 1/22/2017 8:54:18 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Sig is selling a whole lot more MPXes than Wilson is selling AR9s.
View Quote

I a a great fan (and owner) of all things PCC and this is an easy to believe statement. I hear about the Wilson AR9 but never see one anywhere.
Link Posted: 1/23/2017 11:12:20 AM EDT
[#9]
Go Wilson, for all the reasons you stated.
Had MPX Gen 1, sold it and an VERY glad I did.
Sig Sucks!!!!!!
Sig Lies!!!
Fuck Sig.
Link Posted: 1/23/2017 11:23:14 AM EDT
[#10]
I  have the MPX and in general love it. Mine is setup with a Side folding "brace" a red dot and a flashlight is is the "bedpost" gun
If the OP get the wilson I would love to see a review.
Link Posted: 1/23/2017 12:54:15 PM EDT
[#11]
I have a AR9 (dedicated lower/Colt mag) I built using an NSR handguard and it's pretty darn light. Its dead nuts reliable and eats everything. I was temped to get an MPX. Held one and put it back, it was heavy. The price on the mags was a turn off as well. Glad I didn't buy it now realizing Sig tends to discontinue rifle frequently.

I would buy a Wilson AR9, but I like building my own. Recently acquired a QC10 Glock mag lower. I will build it to see if I like it better than the Colt mag.
Link Posted: 1/23/2017 1:01:00 PM EDT
[#12]
You mentioned that you "like the MPX Gas System..."

What do you like about it?

(I personally think it's a terrible idea)
Link Posted: 1/23/2017 2:23:10 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote

Recoil reduction and smooth shooting.

Otherwise a blowback AR or CZ is going to recoil more than an AR in 556.

I want to shoot USPSA PCC and apparently the MPX is a real advantage.
Link Posted: 1/24/2017 5:10:22 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You can make an AR9 very soft shooting by using a heavy buffer. I started out with a 5.5oz buffer and it wasn't bad. Swithed to a 8.5oz buffer and the thing is smooth. There is also a hydraulic buffer that I hear great things about. JP also has a silent capture spring set up for the 9mm AR as well.
Link Posted: 2/1/2017 12:01:28 PM EDT
[#15]
I'm one of the victims of Sigs promises. Not long after I got my 556 and 556-R, they dropped the line and support and moved on. I love the Sig rifles I own, but I'll never buy another gun from them again.

You might also look into Nordic Components modular carbine.  They just came out with a PCC that has the ability to change magwells from Glock to S&W M&P and back. Their website also mentions "more to come".
Link Posted: 2/1/2017 12:33:33 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

You can make an AR9 very soft shooting by using a heavy buffer. I started out with a 5.5oz buffer and it wasn't bad. Swithed to a 8.5oz buffer and the thing is smooth. There is also a hydraulic buffer that I hear great things about. JP also has a silent capture spring set up for the 9mm AR as well.
View Quote

I've played that game.   The problem isn't the recoil from the round.   9mm is harmless.   The problem is the weight of the reciprocating mass necessary for a blowback action.   And adding a heavy buffer just increases that.   A locked breach design negates the need for that additional reciprocating mass, allowing for a gun that moves less under operation.
Link Posted: 2/1/2017 1:19:14 PM EDT
[#17]
CZ custom got more of their carbines in stock with their trigger packs so I think I'm going that route.
Link Posted: 2/2/2017 8:15:17 AM EDT
[#18]
I like the mpx/mcx line but I also liked and have a 556 SBR that I have no ability to get spare parts for.  I wouldn't touch the mcx or mpx line up for at least 5 years to see where the platform ends up

they need to drop their adventures into ammo, silencers, and rebranded optics and concentrate on selling guns and supporting there platforms,  if that platform is promoted as multi-caliber, they need to stock those kits.
Link Posted: 2/3/2017 3:32:28 PM EDT
[#19]
With Sig getting the contract for the military pistols, it'll be interesting to see what they keep around and what they drop.

I'm also interested in the MPX, but I'm not in need of another PCC right now. If the MPX sticks around I might get one in a couple years.
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 12:59:21 PM EDT
[#20]
I have a Gen1 MPX SBR and it has worked flawless. I agree about the lack of barrel/caliber change parts. ILWT has some great prices on replacement barrels. My opinion is the MPX will be around for a long time.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top