Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 10/4/2016 9:48:00 AM EDT
Yes I know they have issues but I am placing this here for a data point for future info. This actually worries me a little bit now.

This mag was loaded with 29 rounds. Was inserted into one of my CZ scorpions for about a month. The scorpion is setup for home defense and has very few rounds through it along with this mag.
It has never had oil of any kind applied to it. Only oil it has come in contact with is the oil that is used on the gun itself.
I use break free on the gun.
I wash my mags. Disassemble and wash the plastic parts with mild dishwashing liquid and then rinsed and let air dry. Springs are cleaned with a soft cloth with break free applied to it and then wiped off with a clean soft rag like a washcloth or old t-shirt. The oil is not let to say on the spring it is wiped off completely. I run my fingers with the cloth around it around  the spring the entire length off it I spend a lot of time doing this. Trust me when I say this the spring is dry. I then reassembled the mags when the plastic parts are dry. I use this method on all my "Plastic Mags".

I'll be calling CZ tomorrow I have to work 12 hours today.  I have 922r followers and baseplates on all my mags cz will be getting the mag body back only. I have 20 mags total for the 2 scorpions I have.  

The mag I reloaded and put back in the HD scorpion has been checked out to be good. Other mags will have to be gone over when I am off 12 hours Wednesday.

What really worries me is that this mag has sat in the gun for month. With the mag in the gun the tension is off the feedlips I assume due to the mag having to be pushed that extra little bit to seat it fully and get a click.  

Date code on mags is 9/13.

Pictures for the Illiterate.

Link Posted: 10/4/2016 10:50:09 AM EDT
[#1]
As a new scorpion owner this doesnt make me feel all warm and cozy about all the new mags i have been stocking up on. Mine are all 16 dated mags with the rounded feed lips 922r mags. I would hate to be left holding the bag on a bunch of jacked up mags should the crooked witch take the white house. Cz needs to iron this out asap. How about they take some of the crazy $$$ i spend on P-07 mags and put it towards R&D for scorpion mags.
Link Posted: 10/4/2016 10:54:20 AM EDT
[#2]
EVERYONE that sees this needs to jump over to the ETS industry page and post up to get them to make scorpion mags. There is a thread going already.
Link Posted: 10/4/2016 1:47:04 PM EDT
[#3]
Actually, everyone needs to just take note of which mags they have -
Chamfered = keep an eye on them, some/many have issues.
Rounded = good to go, problem's been fixed.

We should probably apply some pressure to retailers/distributors though... if you get sent chamfered mags, send them back. Only accept rounded ones from here on out.
Link Posted: 10/4/2016 4:19:19 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

We should probably apply some pressure to retailers/distributors though... if you get sent chamfered mags, send them back. Only accept rounded ones from here on out.
View Quote

Being the illiterate who needs pics., is there a side by side pic showing what you're talking about?
Link Posted: 10/4/2016 4:56:08 PM EDT
[#5]
All but 3 of mine are the old style Mags dated late 15 and I just loaded them up for the first time with 30 to see if they break.  I will report back if I encounter any issues.
Link Posted: 10/4/2016 8:30:01 PM EDT
[#6]
All but three of my mags are pre change.  Have them all fully loaded.  One is cracking so far.
Link Posted: 10/4/2016 8:37:21 PM EDT
[#7]
Time to take all of mine out of the wrapper, load them and see what happens. I don't want to find out 5 years from now that my new mags are crap.
Link Posted: 10/4/2016 10:20:08 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Being the illiterate who needs pics., is there a side by side pic showing what you're talking about?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Look at your magazine from the front or back (in other words, along the same axis as the seated rounds). If the top outside corners are radiused (that is, round like a circle), you have the new style. If the corners have flats (like someone cut off part of the circle's arc at 45 degrees), you have the old chamfered style.
Link Posted: 10/4/2016 10:26:05 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote

Good catch. Now that you mention it, the only mags I've seen trouble with are the chamfered ones.

My first scorpion was one of the early models (with the Laugo label and old mag catch, and I think it was in the first shipment stateside).  Its chamfered 20 rounders have spent well over a year loaded (they get used, reloaded, and then are left loaded). No issues. All other mags I own are radiused. So I think the early mags were probably good to go, then, as has been speculated, QC took a big, sloppy shit as production attempted to keep pace with demand.
Link Posted: 10/4/2016 11:41:55 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Skip to 3:00 in this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ag9hNtizWw

Link Posted: 10/6/2016 11:00:33 AM EDT
[#11]
When did the "new" rounded mags come out?

As a prospective Scorpion owner, this is not a warm fuzzy.....
Link Posted: 10/6/2016 12:55:14 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote

All the "shops around here" are still selling the old crappy mags, probably trying to pawn them off on unaware consumers.
Link Posted: 10/6/2016 2:04:31 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

All the "shops around here" are still selling the old crappy mags, probably trying to pawn them off on unaware consumers.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks to this thread, I now know what to look for with regards to magazine styles.
Link Posted: 10/6/2016 9:35:35 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Cool, thanks.
Link Posted: 10/7/2016 9:24:39 PM EDT
[#15]
Just purchased 20 mags from Cheaper than Dirt.

Hoping these are the rounded ones, (Part number CZ11350) and not the chamfered ones.

I guess I'll find out soon enough.
Link Posted: 10/8/2016 3:04:50 AM EDT
[#16]
UPDATE!!!!

ALL my mags are flat corners NOT rounded ALL other mags are not cracking but I will keep inspecting over time. 1 mag is a 10/13 dated, 3 are 11/15, and the others are 9/15. All flawed corners.  l'll call CZ Monday.  We'll see.                                    
We actually went shooting the Scorpions and my sons AR-15 today. She wants me to set the other Scorpion up for her now. She did good with it. SO now I have to buy another MRO and get 2 x300's lights. Oh and get this she doesn't like the vertical grip.
Link Posted: 10/8/2016 3:13:07 AM EDT
[#17]
Seriously considering buying a second scorpion as well. My wife likes mine so much she's going to appropriate it if I don't get her one.
Link Posted: 10/8/2016 11:53:13 AM EDT
[#18]
I'm going to buy one with the assumption that the wife will confiscate it, forcing me to buy a second one for myself.
Link Posted: 10/9/2016 8:04:06 AM EDT
[#19]
I found another cracked one today. This one with a date of 4-14.

The first one I had was just a light crack that could be seen through the plastic. This one is real bad, it's probably been 10 months maybe more since I've used this particular mag.

The last one they replaced so I imagine they'll replace this one too.
Link Posted: 10/9/2016 1:20:59 PM EDT
[#20]
Strange. I have several early production mags with the taper that have been run hard with zero issues.
Link Posted: 10/9/2016 1:50:10 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Strange. I have several early production mags with the taper that have been run hard with zero issues.
View Quote

Seems to be a material issue, not design.

If the material is good it holds up as designed. But apparently there have been a few bad batches.
Link Posted: 10/9/2016 4:20:38 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

If the material is good it holds up as designed. But apparently there have been a few bad batches.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

+1
I dont see how the added material in the rounded design can make it stonger..
Link Posted: 10/9/2016 5:40:28 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

+1
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

+1

With luck, it's a matter of their materials or moulding process being in order by the time they switched.

That said, I am not a materials engineer. Polymer molds are quite expensive. I don't think they would have changed them without some perceived advantage.
Link Posted: 10/10/2016 6:21:02 AM EDT
[#24]
Molds are expensive...but they also wear out with use. I can easily seeing them make a new version with slight changes when the next batch of molds was being produced. There have been a LOT of Scorpion mags sold over the last couple years.
Link Posted: 10/10/2016 10:04:24 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

With luck, it's a matter of their materials or moulding process being in order by the time they switched.

That said, I am not a materials engineer. Polymer molds are quite expensive. I don't think they would have changed them without some perceived advantage.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

+1

You only change them out if you can't achieve your new shape by machining a new cavity into an existing mold.  Rounding could be done with the previous mold,  Rounding also reduces stress risers in the part.
Link Posted: 10/10/2016 2:21:02 PM EDT
[#26]
More mags inbound, hope they're good
Link Posted: 10/10/2016 7:53:05 PM EDT
[#27]
Which dealers are shipping out the new style mags? I picked my Scorpion up used and only have one 20rd mag for it.
Link Posted: 10/10/2016 7:58:53 PM EDT
[#28]
I bought my Scorpion in April, along with 6 mags. all of which old style, and from late 2015. Just bought some more...curious if they'll be new or old.
Link Posted: 10/10/2016 10:17:48 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Which dealers are shipping out the new style mags? I picked my Scorpion up used and only have one 20rd mag for it.
View Quote

I would think that you would have the best luck getting the new style by ordering directly from CZ USA. They are 922r compliant also.
Link Posted: 10/11/2016 7:35:46 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

I would think that you would have the best luck getting the new style by ordering directly from CZ USA. They are 922r compliant also.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Are the old style 922r compliant?
Link Posted: 10/11/2016 11:23:13 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Don't know.  I received my last batch a week before they offered the 922r compliant mags.  All of mine have the chamfered feed lips.  CZ-USA will have the latest and greatest though (vs. older stock that a retailer might have).
Link Posted: 10/11/2016 12:12:37 PM EDT
[#32]
The ones I ordered from CTD are listed as being from CZ USA.
They should arrive Thursday ,(10-12-16), so I should find out then.
Link Posted: 10/11/2016 2:39:07 PM EDT
[#33]
Can someone post a pic of the rounded vs non-rounded mags that have been mentioned here?
Link Posted: 10/11/2016 3:02:53 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Can someone post a pic of the rounded vs non-rounded mags that have been mentioned here?
View Quote

Watch the linked video on page 1.
Link Posted: 10/11/2016 3:18:06 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 10/11/2016 10:47:40 PM EDT
[#36]
On the CZ FORUM the cracked mag problem is thought in part to be related to lubrication.

Do NOT use Miltec-1.

http://www.czfirearms.us/index.php?topic=81913.15
http://www.czfirearms.us/index.php?topic=81913.45
Link Posted: 10/12/2016 3:26:07 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View Quote

Same here. All my mags have the flat edge and have been used and left loaded since I got it in the first batch of stateside Scorpions.
Link Posted: 10/12/2016 3:29:06 PM EDT
[#38]
The Only cracks I've seen posted were from chamfered mags. But it clearly doesn't afflict ALL chamfered mags.
Link Posted: 10/12/2016 7:24:47 PM EDT
[#39]
I really wish someone else would start making mags for the scorpion. I like stacking mags deep and the thought of doing that with mags so prone to failure isn't sitting well. Considering dumping the Scorpion to do 9mm AR pistol build and stacking up on ETS Glock mags.
Link Posted: 10/12/2016 8:30:46 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
I really wish someone else would start making mags for the scorpion. I like stacking mags deep and the thought of doing that with mags so prone to failure isn't sitting well. Considering dumping the Scorpion to do 9mm AR pistol build and stacking up on ETS Glock mags.
View Quote

I get it I feel the same only about the mags., but none of mine have cracked. I have nearly 7000 rounds through mine n 6 of my mags. no issues except extreme feelings of love for the gun. Though I would like a Q.C. 10 glock lower setup.
Link Posted: 10/12/2016 10:55:43 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

I get it I feel the same only about the mags., but none of mine have cracked. I have nearly 7000 rounds through mine n 6 of my mags. no issues except extreme feelings of love for the gun. Though I would like a Q.C. 10 glock lower setup.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wonder what the barrel life is on an Evo. Never really thought about it, but given you can't really get replacement barrels I suppose it's relevant.
Link Posted: 10/13/2016 6:06:18 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Wonder what the barrel life is on an Evo. Never really thought about it, but given you can't really get replacement barrels I suppose it's relevant.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I doubt you'd shoot out the barrel, it's just 9mm.

If you do happen to it will cost many many many times more in ammo than a new gun. And even though it's not on the website CZ could probably help you out if you did need a replacement.

CZ custom does sell a barrel although it's not the same as stock.
Link Posted: 10/13/2016 8:11:53 AM EDT
[#43]
I got my 30 round Scorpion Evo magazines from Cheaper than Dirt yesterday.
They all have rounded feed lips, all say CZ USA, and assuming I'm reading the date code right, mine were made in Jan May of 16.

Mine came from warehouse 20,(Cheaper than Dirt warehouse),  and were part number CZ 11350.

Link Posted: 10/13/2016 8:16:03 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
The ones I ordered from CTD are listed as being from CZ USA.
They should arrive Thursday ,(10-12-16), so I should find out then.
View Quote

I got mine from CTD yesterday too, they all have the rounded edges, are dated  May 2016, and floor plated marked CZ USA.
Link Posted: 10/13/2016 5:24:23 PM EDT
[#45]
So CTD is shipping the new ones?  Anyone get some from warehouse 1?  I have been waiting to get from CZ, but who knows when they will be back in stock...
Link Posted: 10/13/2016 8:50:45 PM EDT
[#46]
After confirming they had the new style I ordered 6 from Prepper Gun Shop for just under $120.
Link Posted: 10/13/2016 9:13:05 PM EDT
[#47]
Greg Cote shipping new mags, just had 5 30rnd mags made in May '16 show up.
Link Posted: 10/13/2016 11:53:31 PM EDT
[#48]
I received two from Botach today that were the new style dated 3/16.
Link Posted: 10/14/2016 1:46:23 PM EDT
[#49]
I'm going to be 43 here soon and I'm guessing my eye sight isnt as sharp as it used to be. I had to take a picture with my phone of the date stamp on the back of my Scorpion mags to actually see them clearly.

What I assumed was a 1 was actually an arrow pointing to the number 5.

For other old guys here....the date stamp is a circle of numbers (1 - 12) with an arrow pointing to one of the numbers. The arrow is inside the circle and has a 1 and a 6 on either side on my magazines.

So I'm now understanding my magazines to have been manufactured in May of 16.

Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong here.
Link Posted: 10/17/2016 7:26:36 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
So CTD is shipping the new ones?  Anyone get some from warehouse 1?  I have been waiting to get from CZ, but who knows when they will be back in stock...
View Quote

I just got ten 30-rounders from Warehouse 1 of CTD, and can confirm that all are the new style with rounded feed lips, manufactured 5/16.

--Gene
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top