Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/28/2015 11:16:36 AM EDT
I'm on the way to SBR'ing my Uzi. And, thus, I need a barrel.

From some searching I see that Green Mountain has them, as does RTG (dunno who makes theirs).  Anybody know of anybody else? Or who's the best?
Link Posted: 10/28/2015 11:41:01 AM EDT
[#1]
Green Mountain is GTG
Link Posted: 10/28/2015 4:34:58 PM EDT
[#2]
It looks like RTG sources them from Green Mountain. I have purchased HK barrels from them, and have been very pleased. When I SBR my IMI MINI, I will get mine from Green Mountain.
Link Posted: 10/28/2015 8:58:33 PM EDT
[#3]
Search Green Mountain Uzi barrel on UZITalk and you'll get back pages of issues.

Dont know if they got their stuff sorted out yet, but dont see what's so hard about copying IMI's UZI chamber end. I would steer clear of them.

BWE firearms is highly recommended in the UZI community. My cheap 16" Numrich barrel $90 is just fine (they sell pistol length), though they are a bit more now. Not sure if because a new manufacture or what...
Link Posted: 10/29/2015 3:32:01 PM EDT
[#4]
Why don't you  just cut your 16" barrel down to the proper length  and save some money?
Link Posted: 10/29/2015 4:01:26 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Why don't you  just cut your 16" barrel down to the proper length  and save some money?
View Quote

I may, but I may also want a 10.2 and a 8.5.

I'd also need to find somebody to do that.
Link Posted: 11/1/2015 10:19:35 PM EDT
[#6]
Uzi barrel

Found these ones.
Link Posted: 11/3/2015 11:02:38 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Search Green Mountain Uzi barrel on UZITalk and you'll get back pages of issues.

Dont know if they got their stuff sorted out yet, but dont see what's so hard about copying IMI's UZI chamber end. I would steer clear of them.
View Quote

There are at least 4 "UZI barrel" prints out there online.

Between those and measuring an actual IMI barrel, I feel like I have a pretty accurate print for both the semi and full auto profiles but just going off of say Century's print isn't going to work 100%.

So no idea what Green Mountain did but the dimensions and tolerances out there are all over the place.
Link Posted: 11/5/2015 5:44:28 PM EDT
[#8]
Welp, now I'm as confused as when I started the thread.
Link Posted: 11/5/2015 9:39:40 PM EDT
[#9]

I had my shortened and it has worked great.  The member is out of Gainesville and his name here is CS223 I believe.  I highly recommend his work.
Link Posted: 11/5/2015 10:51:53 PM EDT
[#10]
It seems most are pretty much the same WRT accuracy, perhaps a few have slightly better finish, but so do most Uzis...  I think I paid $80 on mine from whomever Google pointed me towards and it shoots pretty darn well.

The reality is the locking collar under the barrel nut (the 3/4 moon if you will) will vary a bit as will your receiver.  So...the end result is you may get some "rotational looseness" for lack of a better term.

It is a very easy fix...literally a dot of MIG or TIG weld and 30 seconds with a file to tighten up the tolerance.  The issue is unless you can test fit before you buy, you are not sure if it will be tight, loose or just right.  And, as with most things on an Uzi, it is all far from a precise fix.  In fact it is probably something you could leave alone regardless.

For the threading, anyone can do it....ADCO does good work...about $50 if I remember right.  Just be sure your smith uses the thread spec/print from your suppressor manufacture.  The thread is easy, but some have different clearances on the shoulder.

Here is one already threaded at 10.5 for $119...that's a pretty good deal....just remember what I said about thread specs.  http://www.atlanticfirearms.com/component/virtuemart/shipping-accessories/nitride-treated-9mm-uzi-semi-auto-barrel-detail.html?Itemid=0

Good luck.
ZY
Link Posted: 11/20/2015 12:59:19 PM EDT
[#11]
I am getting ready to SBR my Century Uzi as well and have asked myself this same question. Do I buy a NEW unit or just cut down the existing? I wondered if I would ever want to put the 16" back in for some reason? Here is what i think I will do. I think I will have it cut to the "original" Uzi length of 10.5" and then buy one at the 8.5". I am sure at some point, one will become my favorite over the other, but it would let me try both to see if there is any advantage of one over the other.

I have a Wiselite Sterling that I SBR'ed and just had that barrel cut down and recrowned. This particular rifle was a BEAR to try to remove the barrel, in fact, I never did get it removed, so asked the gunsmith to just cut and finish. The Uzi is a different story. But what will remain consistent is that I have NEVEWR had the desire to go back to a 16" barrel on the Sterling, so I suspect it will be much the same with the Uzi. Once you have paid the money and gone to the trouble, WHY would you ever want to switch it back? Just cut that original to one of your desired lengths (or whatever your Form 1 said you were going with).

All the best.
Link Posted: 11/20/2015 3:13:52 PM EDT
[#12]
I would buy a separate barrel just in case of a squib, especially considering the price and ease of replacing.
Link Posted: 11/20/2015 4:14:41 PM EDT
[#13]
To start off I think I'm gonna have ADCO cut my current barrel down. They're pretty inexpensive.
Link Posted: 11/22/2015 7:44:26 PM EDT
[#14]
I would keep your current barrel intact and just buy another one for SBR.  They are cheap enough, keeps the original gun intact, and it gives you the option to convert back.  If I recall, you can have the NFA engraving on the barrel itself.  So one part to swap between being SBR or not.  
Link Posted: 11/23/2015 2:05:11 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I would keep your current barrel intact and just buy another one for SBR.  They are cheap enough, keeps the original gun intact, and it gives you the option to convert back.  If I recall, you can have the NFA engraving on the barrel itself.  So one part to swap between being SBR or not.  
View Quote

Engraving is already under the folding stock on the receiver.
Link Posted: 11/26/2015 8:14:08 PM EDT
[#16]
any local machine shop can part off a 16" barrel for an uzi. they are little more than a piece of heavy wall tube. no need to send it off anywhere special.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top